Fourtitude.com - BMW 4 Series Concept revealed
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Cars
      Group B WRC, Group A DTM, and BHRC Cat 3.
      09-10-2019 10:25 PM #76
      BMW is officially dead to me, along with Audi.

FFS man.
      If you have a 5 cylinder, you don't need a stereo.

What is a Homologation car you ask?
      http://www.fia.com/list-previously-homologated-cars

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      FoRS
      09-10-2019 10:32 PM #77
      Makes the Bangle era cars look good

4. 09-10-2019 10:50 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Sepp View Post
      BMW is officially dead to me, along with Audi.

FFS man.

09-10-2019 10:58 PM #79
      Not a good looking design. I can almost guarantee its set in stone for production though.

6. 09-11-2019 12:29 AM #80
      But fear not, the kidneys won't make it into production

Last edited by chocofrappe55; 09-11-2019 at 12:32 AM.

7. 09-11-2019 12:36 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by chocofrappe55 View Post

They absolutely are. The company insider at BMW on Bimmerpost said this thing is like 85% of the production car. He warned people that this car would have the bigass grilles back in like early 2018. Dread it...run from it... And yes, it will be on the M3/4 too.

09-11-2019 05:32 AM #82
      We have already seen prototypes where the big-ass grille is visible behind the camouflage.

Cars
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      09-11-2019 05:51 AM #83
      And thus BMW continues to slip off into the horizon for me. A brand I once loved and cherished, I feel nothing now. Really astounding.

Meanwhile Audi is just utterly killing it.

Cars
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-11-2019 06:47 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      And thus BMW continues to slip off into the horizon for me. A brand I once loved and cherished, I feel nothing now. Really astounding.

Meanwhile Audi is just utterly killing it.
      Ehhh....since cars are subjective and everyone has an opinion, I'll chime in: The new 4 series design language is just way over the top. Cue some Dennis Miller-esque commentary from SNL Weekend Update, circa 1989.

That said, I wouldn't say that Audi is "killing it", and this is from someone who has driven VWs and Audis for 20+ years. The new 3 is phenomenal. The M340i in particular puts the S4 to complete shame. Ditto X3 and X5. The new 3 has corrected a lot of the sins of the F30 generation.

I'd argue that the only truly attractive vehicle in Audi's stable at the moment is the new A7. The A4 has become more Camry-fied in looks and the A6 has gone so slab sided and bland that it's gone from non-descript to non-destinguishable. Granted, not that German luxo-barges ever really stray all that much from the standard, but....

Never saw myself as a BMW person, but the M340i will likely be next in the stable.

09-11-2019 06:52 AM #85
      Actually makes 8-series look like a cheaper model.
      I think you're right.

The 8 was uninspired nothingness on a bloated car. The 4 is what we would call in Dutch a PLORK, pracht lichaam, ongeloofelijke rotkop - beautiful body, unfathomably ugly face. You'll be driving behind it, thinking, what's that sexy car. And then when you come closer, or come around to it, you'll see its hideous face and want to scream. The thing though is, with all of that, she'll catch your interest, in a way the 8-series never would or could. Positive and negative.
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

09-11-2019 07:05 AM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
      I think you're right.

The 8 was uninspired nothingness on a bloated car.
      I think the production version of the 4-series will be quite bloated too.

This is how the 8-series looked like in concept/preview form:

But it added the fat for production:

09-11-2019 07:11 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      I think the production version of the 4-series will be quite bloated too.

This is how the 8-series looked like in concept/preview form:

But it added the fat for production:
      Also very true. Maybe it's a matter of proportions then, and the 4 just makes it seem more right? It's a gut feeling thing, can't really seem to put it into words.
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

14. Member
      Cars
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      09-11-2019 07:58 AM #88
      As much as I hate this now - it's half growing on me (don't worry, I still hate it).
      But, I can't for the life of me imagine how it gets any better on a production car where it's got less of the concept-y-ness to hide it....
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

Cars
      F80 / TDI / LWB
      09-11-2019 08:52 AM #89
      This is so comically bad. What the hell were they thinking?

Glad I swooped on my 2018 F80.

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      09-11-2019 09:46 AM #90
      OK, so yesterday I pretty much hated it. Today, I see that photoshop of the 8-series grills on it, and I don't like that either. It looks too much like a Mustang, and that design is old now.

So I guess, maybe there's something to appreciate in that front end. Maybe they can make it work. Maybe I will like it... the only reason I get a slightly positive emotion is that it reminds me of the 328 Hommage just a bit and I really liked that concept.

GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

09-11-2019 10:45 AM #91
      Not only are you completely wrong, but I now know the production kidneys are actually going to slightly bigger. The headlights, tail lights, and mirrors will be too. The front end will be less pointy as well, which is no surprise.

Apparently the iNext, X8, and next-generation 7-series are going to be pretty wild as well. Perhaps what's going to be most interesting is when they go to "reimagine" MINI.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      09-11-2019 10:48 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      OK, so yesterday I pretty much hated it. Today, I see that photoshop of the 8-series grills on it, and I don't like that either. It looks too much like a Mustang, and that design is old now.

So I guess, maybe there's something to appreciate in that front end. Maybe they can make it work. Maybe I will like it... the only reason I get a slightly positive emotion is that it reminds me of the 328 Hommage just a bit and I really liked that concept.

All I can think of when I see that...

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      09-11-2019 11:09 AM #93
      Also, it's easy to fixate on one part of the picture.
      What you're saying here is a result of mismatched proportions. It's easy to fixate on the grill because the grill is massively and offensively out of proportion to the rest of the car.

It's supposed to be coherent, and it's not. One of the hardest things about vehicle design is that you're designing surfaces that all flow into each other and translate into other surfaces and other axis.

The entire front half of the car all flows to one gigantic set of kidneys, so that you have to actively look at the rest of the car. Whereas to me, the 8 series flows proportionally.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

20. Member
      Cars
      2018 M4
      09-11-2019 11:40 AM #94
      People hate change.

The grill is too big and it's too much chrome, but it'll grow on folks, just you watch. I think it's fine. Not my favorite, but it probably won't stop me from replacing my M4 with another one.

BMW Folks act like the F3X and F8X are the most beautiful cars ever, but I remember when they was and released people were up in arms about the headlights touching the grill and acting like it was the ugliest thing ever.

Remember when Audi starting putting HUGE grills on their cars (they're larger than this BMW btw) and people were acting like it was the end of the world? Pepperidge farm remembers. Now the RS7 with it's comically huge grill is stunning according to the internet. I think it looks great btw.

Cars
      09-11-2019 11:58 AM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by mrbrettw View Post
      People hate change.

The grill is too big and it's too much chrome, but it'll grow on folks, just you watch. I think it's fine. Not my favorite, but it probably won't stop me from replacing my M4 with another one.

BMW Folks act like the F3X and F8X are the most beautiful cars ever, but I remember when they was and released people were up in arms about the headlights touching the grill and acting like it was the ugliest thing ever.

Remember when Audi starting putting HUGE grills on their cars (they're larger than this BMW btw) and people were acting like it was the end of the world? Pepperidge farm remembers. Now the RS7 with it's comically huge grill is stunning according to the internet. I think it looks great btw.
      This is way worse than any of the examples you cited. The only BMW design I ever really hated in the past was the Bangle butt, and that never really made it to the 3 series. And even that didn't completely ruin the car like this does. People also said the Lexus spindle grill would grow on people... I hated it then and I still would never buy a Lexus that has it. The big Audi grill was never my favorite, but it wasn't a car ruiner.

22. Member
      Cars
      2018 M4
      09-11-2019 12:27 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      This is way worse than any of the examples you cited. The only BMW design I ever really hated in the past was the Bangle butt, and that never really made it to the 3 series. And even that didn't completely ruin the car like this does. People also said the Lexus spindle grill would grow on people... I hated it then and I still would never buy a Lexus that has it. The big Audi grill was never my favorite, but it wasn't a car ruiner.
      Well that's your opinion, I think the 2008 7 series with the bangle butt and the Z4 around the same time were way worse than this and that's my opinion. People are acting with the same amount of drama they usually do when BMW makes a major design change.

Lexus spindle grill may have not grown on you, but it sure hasn't affected sales and money talks, so most people did indeed grow on that grill.

This is one element that's ungainly on an otherwise nice looking concept. If we accept the general shape and large grill will make it to production, it's not going to affect sales all that much if at all. Besides most people swearing off BMW because of this are being drama queens, and a ton of them don't even drive BMWs.

09-11-2019 12:35 PM #97
      Well that's your opinion, I think the 2008 7 series with the bangle butt and the Z4 around the same time were way worse than this and that's my opinion. People are acting with the same amount of drama they usually do when BMW makes a major design change.

Lexus spindle grill may have not grown on you, but it sure hasn't affected sales and money talks, so most people did indeed grow on that grill.

This is one element that's ungainly on an otherwise nice looking concept. If we accept the general shape and large grill will make it to production, it's not going to affect sales all that much if at all. Besides most people swearing off BMW because of this are being drama queens, and a ton of them don't even drive BMWs.
      I have to agree.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Cars
      09-11-2019 12:38 PM #98

Re Lexis: has it really gone over so well?

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...fit-in-2-years

25. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-11-2019 01:03 PM #99

I don't recall anyone here saying these wouldn't sell. If Mercedes can sell the CLA I'm convinced the German 3 can sell absolutely anything. And I checked the forum rules- you don't need to own or be in the market for a car to express an opinion on it.

I think the grill is ugly, and unlike Audi/Lexus' grilles, a bastardization of one of BMW's trademark design elements. The rest of the car doesn't look bad, but unlike the F32/4 there's absolutely nothing to differentiate it as a BMW. If that doesn't deter you, god bless... again I don't think anyone here was commanding folks not to buy this car. Nobody cares what you do with your money

26. Member
      Cars
      2018 M4
      09-11-2019 01:32 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Re Lexis: has it really gone over so well?

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...fit-in-2-years
      You think that's because of the grill or the styling of those models? It has nothing to do with their stale products, or most of their cars that don't compete very well in their respective segments, or their in car technology that's 10 years behind everyone? You're probably right, it's the grill.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast