VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What Audi or VW did you move onto, after your A3?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ceese 
#1 ·
As the title asks, I'm curious for those who used to own an A3 and moved onto something else (and has happened to revisit the A3 sub forum on occasion enough to read this), what did you choose?

And if there's anything you might miss about your old A3... what would it be?

#2 ·
I went from Golf -> A3 -> A5. Still have the A3.

Between the A3 and A5, I miss the hatchback's flexibility and the mpg. I get 40+ mpg on the A3 TDI, versues the 30 mpg on the A5 TFSI. Also, it's much easier to park and drive around in the city.

The A3 is the perfect everyday runabout car, while the A5 is the perfect cruiser for the weekends for me.

#5 ·
The Audi A5 came out in 2007 and I was tempted, but decided on the A3 for the practicality of it. There wasn't a TDI in local inventory that I could get without a long wait, so I went with the petrol engine. But it probably would've been the wiser choice to get one, because of the whole Diesel-gate scandal. Probably could've gotten a lightly used A5 for the trade-in credit. Some people did really well on that. But I also noticed that, the wider blind spots on the A5 making parallel parking more of a challenge. It's so easy on the A3.

I went from A3 8P (fwd) to A3 8V (quattro) gave it to my daughter and took the MKVI GTI (manual). Now I have 3 teens in the house that drive and manual was problematic so I sold it and got A3 8P (quattro). I like the 8V but still prefer the hatchback.
The 8V is a great car but despite the same external width of the 8P, somehow the 8V feels smaller inside (width-wise).

#3 ·
I went from A3 8P (fwd) to A3 8V (quattro) gave it to my daughter and took the MKVI GTI (manual). Now I have 3 teens in the house that drive and manual was problematic so I sold it and got A3 8P (quattro). I like the 8V but still prefer the hatchback.

#8 ·
I've been considering a 2014 A7 tdi

#7 ·
2008 A3 VR6 added a 2008 TT manual VR6

2008 A3 VR6 added a 2008 TT manual VR6. Tough call on which I like better, if the A3 were manual it would be king hands down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.