Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      2001 GTI 1.8t
      09-04-2019 10:55 AM #1
      Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a 2000 TT Quattro with a 5 speed transmission. It won't go into 1st or 2nd gear (guy at the car lot said it feels like the gears aren't even there as opposed to being difficult to get into). I know the 6 speeds have a common problem with the rivet that holds the shifter fork on shearing off - could that be the issue for this as well, or is there another possible issue that's more likely, such as the shifter bushings, linkages, synchros, etc?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I've tried searching and haven't been able to find any information that isn't specific to the 6 speeds, so forgive me if this has been answered somewhere already.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      03 TT225, 76 Dasher 16V
      09-05-2019 09:53 AM #2
      Sadly this area of the forum is very slow, seems to be about 3 of us that use it.

I'm sure there's someone out there with more specific experience with these than what I have, but I'll say this - walk away from that car.
      Unless it's absolutely perfect condition, and you're good with repairs and tranny swaps, I'd walk away.

With that said, it could be several issues. One as simple as some previous owner did something with the shifter, and didn't know the procedure to line everything up when putting it back together.
      Or of course could be internal major issues.

Does the car go into 1st/2nd with the engine off? Or only when on? Did you push the clutch in, with engine off, to try the selector?

Cars
      2001 Audi TT 225 QC
      09-05-2019 01:16 PM #3
      If I recall correctly, the 5-speed and the 6-speed transmissions are both O2M transmissions, so you can use most of the 6 speed advice on your 5 speed.

Regarding 1st and 2nd gear, you will want to hope that it's an alignment issue, but if you can get into reverse, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, then it's most likely the 1-2 shift fork inside the transmission.

The rivets that hold them together are known to fail, and the sides of the fork separate, making it impossible to use those two gears.

The only way to fix it is to drop the transmission take it apart, and fix the shift fork.

One of our regular posters back in the day did it himself successfully, but it's not a beginner job by any means.
      You can remove blood stains with hydrogen peroxide.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 09-13-2019 01:58 PM #4
      Hello mk1 TT owners, I've owned mine for about 3 years now and done a fair amount of work on it, as a mechanical engineer I love to learn how to tinker, though I consider myself still a bit of a beginner as a mechanic. It's a 2000 mk1 with about 186k miles on it at this point. Just before I went away for the summer, I began to lose the ability to shift into reverse, especially when the car gets hot. Every time I tried to depress and go up for reverse, it would slip into 1st. My car has some background that you should know first:
      1. Clutch engagement is extremely close to the floor, barely an inch off the ground and it is engaging. It has been this way since I first purchased it.
      2. First gear has always been difficult to get into, often requiring a harder shove or pulling down into 2nd before going into 1st to get things better aligned.

From some initial searches through forums I determined it could be one of a few things:
      1. The common issue of the rivet failing on the 1st and 2nd gear shift fork is beginning to give. This is probably worst-case, requiring me to take apart the transmission and replace the rivet. Not impossible, but definitely time intensive.
      2. Shifter cables. This seemed easiest, so I attacked this option first. I followed the instructions in setting the pins in place in the adjustment sequence to adjust the cables, and it appeared I regained reverse, but that was pretty short lived. It is possible I may not have done it exactly right, would it be worth trying again?
      3. Clutch-related. Given that my clutch engagement is so low, and the first third to half of clutch pedal travel doesn't do much, I have always figured this could be a bit of an issue. I am reading that either master or slave clutch cylinders could be culprits here. Are there clear signs or tests to rule if the clutch or related components are the root of this kind of issue?

I would appreciate any advice, otherwise I may just be taking things apart for quite some time.

Thanks.

Cars
      2001 Audi TT 225 QC
      09-13-2019 02:39 PM #5
      Jaredarius:

As slow as this forum is, it's worth creating your own thread for your issue in order not to confuse anyone who comes here or looks at the archive later on.

Please create a new thread, and I'll offer some tips there. Please include engine code, FWD or Quattro.
      You can remove blood stains with hydrogen peroxide.

8. Member
      Cars
      '04 225 TTQ Roadster, '04 Allroad 2.7 6MT, '05 A4 1.8tqam
      10-02-2019 02:39 PM #6
      There are a few things that can wear out in the tt shifter system, including:
      * the cable end linkages where they attach to the transmission. Replace with new (~$35 per) or with brass or aluminum inserts from 42DD/034/Speed Source
      * the shifter mechanism guide plastics on the transmission
      * the cable/bushing attachments inside the shifter box - I just had to do this using the Diesel Geek Cable Saver Bushing Kit
      * the ball/nub off the shifter which engages the "side to side" cable - Diesel Geek First Gear Getter

Diesel Geek makes some replacement parts, as not all failure items are available separately from VW/Audi. Based on your 1/2 issue, and without jumping to worst case shift for rivet problems, I'd check out the other pieces of the puzzle first. The end links are pretty easy to check. Opening up the center console to check the shifter is a little more involved, but you can start getting a look just by removing the knob/boot/shfit trim ring.

Read through these to learn more on many relate aspects:
      * https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=409035
      * http://www.42draftdesigns.com/mk4-mk...fitment-guide/
      * https://www.dieselgeek.com/collectio...ifter-bushings