Fourtitude.com - Production 2020 Porsche Taycan officially revealed in top-end Turbo and Turbo S guises
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
      Cars
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      09-11-2019 11:10 AM #251
      To be fair, a lot of those people put down deposits before we knew that the launch models would be the Turbo/Turbo S.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      09-11-2019 11:11 AM #252

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      09-11-2019 11:18 AM #253
      Quote Originally Posted by Reisner View Post
      Seems like Musk shooting from the hip before engaging his brain again. Musk is an attention-whore.
      Musk may be an attention whore, but it appears that a Model S lap time is indeed happening, and they've signed up Nico Rosberg for the job.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...eptember-21st/

Cars
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      09-11-2019 11:19 AM #254
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Porsche is targeting Model S buyers by their own admission, but I think that really speaks to how they think someone already spending $100k on a car like this isn't actually price-sensitive if the upgrade in performance, prestige, luxury, etc. is perceived as worth the jump.
      I'm not that surprised, actually. A big percentage of Model S's I see are higher trim models like the P90/100, which tells me these buyers probably are less price sensitive and just wanted the top EV on the market. In the next few years, these buyers will have more choices from Porsche, MB, Audi and a couple others. A decent chunk of them will probably still stay loyal to Tesla, but not all.

Cars
      Golf GTI 7
      09-11-2019 11:21 AM #255
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Musk may be an attention whore, but it appears that a Model S lap time is indeed happening, and they've signed up Nico Rosberg for the job.

no they haven't

Cars
      09-11-2019 11:35 AM #256
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      no they haven't
      Yeah, gotta read all the words in the article This is still pure Elon PR at the moment.

[joke in terrible taste removed]
      Last edited by Sporin; 09-11-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Cars
      2019 GLI 35th, 2018 Macan Sport Edition
      09-11-2019 11:38 AM #257
      We've also heard that a Model S, likely the one with the wicker and the Cup 2 Rs, was on the track already and was absolutely flying, pulling away from other cars, but broke halfway through a lap.

That's the trick isn't it. Not quite so easy to be fast for a full lap.

Cars
      2018 Tesla Model 3, 1988 BMW M5
      09-11-2019 12:55 PM #258
      Still so much hate for Tesla, the only uniquely American performance car manufacturer. I think its great that Tesla finally has some worthy competition and is making the effort to answer them. I would be surprised if they actually beat the Porsche but it’s fun to watch them try and I applaud the effort. Competition has and will only improve both.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      09-11-2019 01:49 PM #259
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      no they haven't
      Yeah, gotta read all the words in the article This is still pure Elon PR at the moment.

[joke in terrible taste removed]
      Tesla should hire Sabine Schmitz to do their testing and fast lap when they finally can get some empty track time. Then they could claim their record was set by an elderly woman (I know she is only 50 settle down) who is almost a pensioner on her way to the grocery store.

EDIT: In the meantime, Musk is claiming they set a new lap record for a 4 door vehicles at Laguna Seca with the Model S. No word on what modifications and tires the S had.

Tesla Model S breaks Laguna Seca lap records, says Elon Musk

Tesla CEO Elon Musk says that they broke the fastest lap record for 4-door vehicles at Laguna Seca racetrack, and they are going to release a video about it soon.

Following the recent launch of the Porsche Taycan, Musk appears to be on a mission to show that Tesla’s vehicles are still the highest-performance EVs available today.

Last week, he said that Tesla would bring a Model S to Nürburgring race track — right after Porsche established a new 4-door electric car record at the track.

Musk confirmed this morning that the Model S is at the track in Germany, but it sounds like they won’t be able to try for a record.

While they couldn’t get things done in Germany, Tesla tried for its own record at home at the Laguna Seca racetrack.

Musk said that they broke the fastest lap record for 4-door vehicles:

Elon Musk

@elonmusk

Model S just set record for fastest 4 door ever at Laguna Seca, video tmrw
      1:29 AM - Sep 11, 2019

Laguna Seca has become somewhat of a proving ground for electric vehicles in recent years.

Last year, the record for the fastest production EV lap has changed hands several times.

Cameron Rogers first captured it by racing a standard Model 3 RWD with and without mods at Laguna race track, and he did a record lap at the track with his new Model 3 Performance in September.

Later, Jaguar announced that their I-Pace set a “production EV lap record” at the track, and funnily enough, Lucid’s development team beat the record with a Tesla Model S P100D.

The EV startup later beat the record with their own vehicle, the Lucid Air, but the vehicle is not considered a production vehicle.

So a Model S P100D driven by Tesla’s development team ended taking the Laguna Seca production EV record after all.

Then Rogers did a 1:41.2 lap in his Model 3 Performance to claim the record again — however, the car had an aftermarket suspension.

It will be interesting to see where Tesla’s new record stands between all those different records.
      Last edited by spockcat; 09-11-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      09-11-2019 01:55 PM #260
      Quote Originally Posted by rlfletch View Post
      Still so much hate for Tesla, the only uniquely American performance car manufacturer. I think its great that Tesla finally has some worthy competition and is making the effort to answer them. I would be surprised if they actually beat the Porsche but it’s fun to watch them try and I applaud the effort. Competition has and will only improve both.
      Yeah, I very much doubt the Model S will beat Porsche around the ring, but I certainly am curious to see what an official time for it would be. It would be nice if they had the 3P on deck as well. Model 3 did pretty well for itself in this year's AutoX nationals.

Cars
      09-11-2019 02:41 PM #261
      Elon Musk Backtracks Model S ‘Ring Run After Nurburgring Officials Say, 'Tesla, Who?'
      Reality has a habit of biting Musk in the keester.
      BY JONATHON KLEINSEPTEMBER 11, 2019

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29770/...-say-tesla-who

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      09-11-2019 02:47 PM #262
      Just saw on my FB feed an article claiming the Taycan charged from 5% to 88% in 22 minutes on an Electrify Americas fast charger.

I'd take that , if I could afford one
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      09-11-2019 02:52 PM #263
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Just saw on my FB feed an article claiming the Taycan charged from 5% to 88% in 22 minutes on an Electrify Americas fast charger.
      5% to 80% in 22.5 minutes on a 350kW charger (charging at 270kW). Here's the press release for that:

Electrify America's Open Network of Ultra-Fast DC Chargers: First to Charge An 800-Volt Electric Vehicle Battery at 270 Kilowatts
      Reston, VA (September 9, 2019) – Electrify America, LLC and Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA) celebrated the first time the Electrify America DC fast charging network was used nearly to its full potential. On September 4, the day of the global launch event, a Porsche Taycan, with its 800-volt architecture, charged at Electrify America’s Bloomsburg, PA charging station. The vehicle charged at a maximum power level of 270 kilowatts, the fastest charging speed for passenger vehicles on the road today.

The vehicle, which drove approximately 250 miles directly from Niagara Falls, utilized Electrify America’s 350 kW chargers to obtain a 5 percent to 80 percent charge in just 22.5 minutes. The feat is significant as it demonstrates the growing capability of electric vehicles, as well as the inherent design of DC fast charging that Electrify America charging sites provide across the U.S.

“When Electrify America was formed, the idea of ultra-fast public charging was still very theoretical, and no 350 kW chargers were available to electric vehicle drivers,” said Giovanni Palazzo, chief executive officer, Electrify America. “Today we are proud to showcase our network’s diligent engineering capability through successful, real world 270 kW DC fast charging examples, finally making ultra-fast public charging a true reality.”

Extensive testing between Electrify America and PCNA helped ensure the Taycan had a successful first ever ultra-fast charge on the network. This effort is paving the way for the many additional electric vehicles – from a variety of automakers – that will be capable of DC fast charging to take advantage of the company’s expansive, high power nationwide network in the future.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Cars
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      09-11-2019 02:57 PM #264
      The Taycan is getting added to Gran Turismo Sport next month! They're adding the 917 Living Legend concept to the game next year, too, as well as developing a Vision Gran Turismo car.

During the International Auto Show (IAA) in Frankfurt, the partners announced to launch two new cars for “Gran Turismo Sport”, a video game developed exclusively for PlayStation4 console: the Taycan Turbo S and the design study “917 Living Legend”. The Taycan Turbo S is the top model of the first all-electric sports car from Porsche. In addition, designers from Porsche are currently developing the Porsche Vision Gran Turismo Project, which is then being turned into a drivable virtual car by Polyphony Digital Inc. It is expected to appear by the end of next year.

“Motorsport is part of our DNA and racing games offer great opportunities to drive a Porsche yourself on the racetrack,” says Kjell Gruner, Vice President Marketing at Porsche AG. “The multi-award-winning ‘Gran Turismo’ franchise is the perfect partner for offering our fans the opportunity of having a Porsche experience in racing games. To further strengthen our esports engagement also has highest priority.”

“Since 2017, you can drive Porsche cars in ‘Gran Turismo Sport’. By integrating the Taycan Turbo S and the ‘917 Living Legend’ car in ‘Gran Turismo Sport’ and by working on the Porsche Vision Gran Turismo project, we are further strengthening our partnership,” says Kazunori Yamauchi, series Producer and President of Polyphony Digital Inc.

Three new highlights

The Porsche Taycan Turbo S will be made available on “Gran Turismo Sport” as part of a free content update by October 2019. It was possible thanks to development teams from Stuttgart and Tokyo working closely together during the past nine months. Besides a detailed representation of the interior with animated instruments, Porsche and Polyphony Digital Inc. recreated the car’s unique Porsche Electric Sport Sound and its performance as well as the driving characteristics on the race track.

Furthermore, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the 917, Porsche will bring the design study “917 Living Legend” into “Gran Turismo Sport”. Since Porsche won the 24 hours race of Le Mans for the first time in 1970 with a 917, the car is among the most important racing cars in the motorsport history of the brand. By the exclusive integration into “Gran Turismo Sport”, Porsche and Polyphony Digital Inc. will be combining tradition and innovation. The launch will take place within the first half of 2020.

With the Porsche Vision Gran Turismo project, the Porsche Design team is exploring new horizons. For the first time, a virtual sports car concept which is not linked to series production will be developed which makes a visionary interpretation of the Porsche design DNA possible.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Cars
      JCW Mini Cooper, 2018 Tiguan
      09-11-2019 03:00 PM #265
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Other than photos there won't be any Taycan beating times posted. No timing is allowed in the sessions they are participating in. Just driving in traffic.

If Tesla's Planning a Nurburgring Lap, They Forgot to Tell the Nurburgring (Updated)

Quote Originally Posted by article
      and while drivers can occasionally run a fast segment when traffic allows
      i can see it now.... they go out and run laps in the production sessions.... going balls-to-the-wall on a couple segments when possible, "timing those discreetly" before the car inevitably goes into thermal protection....

then, Elon with some back of the napkin computations will tweet about how "theoretically" the S is faster around the 'ring....but zee-germans wont let them prove it....
      /| OMGHAI |\

Cars
      09-11-2019 05:18 PM #266
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      The Taycan is getting added to Gran Turismo Sport next month! They're adding the 917 Living Legend concept to the game next year, too, as well as developing a Vision Gran Turismo car.

I initially read that as Porsche is already adding a Sport Turismo version to the Taycan.

18. 09-11-2019 05:20 PM #267
      Quote Originally Posted by rlfletch View Post
      We're Americans. We eat our own. That's what makes us so resilient

Cars
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      09-11-2019 05:21 PM #268
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I initially read that as Porsche is already adding a Sport Turismo version to the Taycan.

Cars
      09-11-2019 06:07 PM #269
      Quote Originally Posted by ohiodub_99.5 View Post
      i can see it now.... they go out and run laps in the production sessions.... going balls-to-the-wall on a couple segments when possible, "timing those discreetly" before the car inevitably goes into thermal protection....

then, Elon with some back of the napkin computations will tweet about how "theoretically" the S is faster around the 'ring....but zee-germans wont let them prove it....
      Tesla will now have the track to themselves on September 18, 21 and 25:
      https://translate.google.com/transla...rekord-2019%2F

And the residents may be annoyed for a while: Tesla is expected to stay for at least three weeks. Test and voting runs are scheduled every day, and Wednesday, September 18, 2019, is scheduled for a longer trip. On Saturday the 21st of September, all tourist and taxi taxi rides are canceled for two hours, so that Tesla has free access. On Wednesday, September 25th, the track will be reserved for Tesla from 17:00 to 17:45.

21. 09-11-2019 07:05 PM #270
      "someone already spending $100k on a car like this isn't actually price-sensitive if the upgrade in performance"

Except the P100 beats it from 0-60 handily.

22. 09-11-2019 07:07 PM #271
      Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post
      Steavis,

On the Tesla, it’s one motor with a reduction gearset and an open differential applying power to both wheels. Not two motors independently applying power to each wheel (which would be cool, but cost more and require way more programming). The Tesla relies on a brake-based system for managing wheel spin and redistributing torque, like an ‘eLSD’.

The Porsche stuffs the two speed unit in place of the reduction gearset and substitutes the open differential for a limited slip unit.

See here for Model S Quaife unit: https://shop.quaife.co.uk/tesla-mode...d-differential

OK, OK already, you're right and I'm wrong.

I was just projecting since an electric motor for each wheel would be ideal, but more expensive I guess.

Cars
      2019 GLI 35th, 2018 Macan Sport Edition
      09-11-2019 07:34 PM #272
      Quote Originally Posted by Steavis View Post
      "someone already spending $100k on a car like this isn't actually price-sensitive if the upgrade in performance"

.2 seconds is handily? We don't even have actual test numbers from magazines yet. If we're going to play that game then the Taycan beats the P100 from 0-120 handily. And around a race track handily. And for anything more than 2 back to back launches handily.

Cars
      09-11-2019 07:51 PM #273
      Quote Originally Posted by Steavis View Post

You cut off the rest of my quote.

Keep hanging onto that hypothetical 0.2 sec 0-60 difference I guess. But that is far from proven and only the tiniest piece of what defines a car's performance.

Elon, and many Tesla fans, are focusing on all the wrong things with this Taycan launch, and they are coming off very poorly imo.

Porsche is targeting Model S buyers by their own admission, but I think that really speaks to how they think someone already spending $100k on a car like this isn't actually price-sensitive if the upgrade in performance, prestige, luxury, etc. is perceived as worth the jump.

https://news.yahoo.com/tesla-owners-...185414867.html
      Last edited by Sporin; 09-12-2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: edited to add more detail

09-11-2019 08:51 PM #274
      You know what? Way too many race tracks keep getting closed due to noise complaints. If electric cars can help keep tracks open by eliminating the noise complaints then this is one more reason I am all for electric cars. EVs may actually be the saviors of car enthusiasts by keeping our tracks from all getting shut down.

26. 09-11-2019 08:59 PM #275

The lower part of the Taycan rear is a bit prolapsed.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast