Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Cars
      All Mazdas: CX-9, 3, Miata
      09-04-2019 07:09 PM #26
      Not an apples to apples comparison, but as a guy that will need a new sedan in the near term, how would this excellent accord compare to a very slightly used Stinger?

Stinger is smaller, but has depreciated into the same space as the highly trimmed accords. I see fully loaded AWD Stingers for under $40k here in Canada.

Haven’t driven either, but looking forward to it. The extra size of the Accord would be useful, but not necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Cars
      2015 VW CC Sport 6spd MT
      09-04-2019 07:20 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
      Is that the automotive equivalent of "she's pretty, for a fat girl"?
      I dunno, I like big cars. But I have kids, so I need space.

I like the imposing feeling of a big car. A little sports car is fun too. It's that Corolla size car that feels pointless to me. I shopped the Accord against the GLI, but I just didn't like how small (and cheap) it felt in comparison.

Also, I had a CC before I got the Accord and it's depreciation was absolutely atrocious. I didn't want to get two badly depreciating cars in a row.

I actually drove a Stinger as well. It was pretty nice, but it wasn't a manual (why there is no manual option is anyone's guess), and it was way more expensive than the Accord, so I didn't seriously consider it.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-04-2019 07:33 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Bibs View Post
      Not an apples to apples comparison, but as a guy that will need a new sedan in the near term, how would this excellent accord compare to a very slightly used Stinger?

Stinger is smaller, but has depreciated into the same space as the highly trimmed accords. I see fully loaded AWD Stingers for under $40k here in Canada.

Haven’t driven either, but looking forward to it. The extra size of the Accord would be useful, but not necessary.
      Extra size? Their exterior dimensions are about the same. The biggest difference is that the accord has much more interior volume and the Stinger has much more cargo volume. Your best bet is to just go see the cars to determine what works best for your needs. Accords, although certainly dependable, seem rather dull to me. I'd think I'd lean more toward the Kia since it's got practicality and likely a bit more sport in how it drives. Reliability is not something that would really be a deciding factor, but if going used, I'd certainly make sure the car is in good shape.

Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      09-04-2019 09:47 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Vier View Post
      Yup. Would go with the GLI just because it has less rev hang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      And there are many more reasons to do so. For one, its manual transmission sucked. Also although fast, they didn't find it 'sporty'.

GLI all the way. Or Civic Si (I like the idea of mechanical LSD).

Cars
      Accord 2.0t, Pilot, E30
      09-05-2019 10:24 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by MazdaRehab View Post
      It is quite large. In fact, by official government standards, Accord no longer is a mid-size. It has graduated to the large car category.

That said, the Sport handles pretty well, especially for a car of its size.
      Yup. I was surprised that it's only a couple inches shorter than our '18 Pilot. But, the rear seat is huge. I'm 6'4" and I would be happy to be in the back seat on a long drive.

7. Member
      Cars
      19 Accord 2.0t, 10AT, stock!
      09-05-2019 11:24 AM #31
      I went with the 10at, and that thing rips to 60 mph. First gear is super short, then the gearing is normal. It really has 6 gears which would take you to 145 mph, then 4 OD gears.

After about 1500 miles I’ve been able to get over 40mpg indicated over and over again on country roads in traffic.

Certainly impressed with this car and its handling. It may be a large car but it weighs like 3200-3300 lbs in this trim. That’s very light for its size and shows in the twisties.

Cars
      '06 Evo Mr, '17 Ridgeline RTL, '18 Accord Sport
      09-05-2019 11:55 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      My friend in NY got a 2.0t sport. He is really happy with it. The one thing he said he doesn't like is the button shifter makes it hard for him to get comfortable as there is no where to rest his hand.

Simple solution is to get the manual
      oh, that's not what the steering was for?

I have an auto 2.0T, super awesome car, very impressed.

For the manual, the only annoying thing I am aware of is you'll need to have the electronic parking brake applied every single time you want to start the car
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

9. 09-05-2019 12:27 PM #33
      I thought Hondas had amazing shifters

10. Member
      Cars
      16 FiST
      09-05-2019 12:36 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      And there are many more reasons to do so. For one, its manual transmission sucked. Also although fast, they didn't find it 'sporty'.

LSD or not-at-all. I just bought a GLI, a LSD is incredible and with the power these cars put out, necessary. In addition the GLI can come with a good stereo and leather with cooled/heated in it's top trim, so you aren't, like with the Honda, locked into a lower-trim model.

Was interested in the Accord Sport but not getting another open-diff fwd car ever again. I like that Honda put a manual out there and made the Sport's price good, but the Sport trim is a low-level trim that IMO should have been the default 1.5T with CVT, and then made the Accord Si or Accord Type-S and given the manual Sport a real front diff instead of just tossing ghetto sized wheels on it and blacking out some trim.

Like others said, likely the end of the line for manual Accords - Honda should have just opened up the parts bin and made it moar special. If a Accord Si was $35k, it could have been something pretty special and still not stepped on the toes of the TLX performance variants. Honda had to know it was going to be a specialty model that likely would get special ordered, so why not do it right? The enthusiast that really wants them will pay the extra for a LSD and other go-fast bits.

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      09-05-2019 12:44 PM #35
      Yup. Would go with the GLI just because it has less rev hang.

couldn't that easily be tuned out? My Mazda has some weird rev hang between 1st and 2nd, and it's annoying af.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

12. Junior Member
      Cars
      2015 VW CC Sport 6spd MT
      09-05-2019 12:48 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post

I take everything most YouTube car reviewers say with a grain of salt. Most of these guys are performance car enthusiasts, not real automotive journalists, and they are not particularly interested in the more practical aspects of a vehicle, the things that make a car better for the average driver and their passengers on a day to day basis. These guys spend loads of time talking about the clutch and shifter, but they don't even mention the infotainment and only very briefly touch on fuel economy. They make no mention of interior noise levels, material quality, or feature sets.

I actually compared these two cars in intricate detail and drove both twice before I decided. The GLI Autobahn stickered for $1000 less, but at the time the dealers were not making deals on it (it had just come out, probably different now), so the Accord was actually a couple thousand cheaper. Here's why I chose the Accord, despite the fact that the GLI was slightly more fun to drive in the twisties.

Accord has Adaptive Cruise (even with the manual), lane keeping assist, lane departure warning, rear cross traffic alert, and adaptive headlamps. GLI does not.
      Accord has 14.8g fuel tank. GLI has puny 13.2g tank.
      Massive 3 inch difference in rear legroom, although the GLI is not cramped like the Golf is.
      Big difference in cargo capacity
      GLI had weird feature sets in 2019. Adaptive dampers on the 35th Anniversary model, but not on the more expensive Autobahn. Digital cockpit on the Autobahn, but no navigation, which makes the digital cockpit a pointless gimmick.
      Low quality materials in the Jetta deriving from the fact that the GLI is derived from a $18,000 economy car
      Accord has Honda reliability and residual value

I personally think the guy in the review was overblowing the whole shifter and clutch criticism. I had no such complaints, and I've been driving manuals exclusively for over 20 years. Could it be better? Sure. But it isn't bad by any stretch. And 99% of people would not make a purchasing decision based upon rev hang. All manuals have it these days (on purpose, for emissions purposes) and it can be tuned out.

I loved how the GLI (especially the 35th anniversary model) looked, and the shifter and clutch were indeed better, but I couldn't reconcile the differences in equipment sets and general quality. For me, the choice was actually pretty easy, and I went into it leaning toward the GLI.
      Last edited by MazdaRehab; 09-05-2019 at 12:57 PM.

13. Member
      Cars
      19 Accord 2.0t, 10AT, stock!
      09-05-2019 01:01 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      LSD or not-at-all. I just bought a GLI, a LSD is incredible and with the power these cars put out, necessary. In addition the GLI can come with a good stereo and leather with cooled/heated in it's top trim, so you aren't, like with the Honda, locked into a lower-trim model.

Was interested in the Accord Sport but not getting another open-diff fwd car ever again. I like that Honda put a manual out there and made the Sport's price good, but the Sport trim is a low-level trim that IMO should have been the default 1.5T with CVT, and then made the Accord Si or Accord Type-S and given the manual Sport a real front diff instead of just tossing ghetto sized wheels on it and blacking out some trim.

Like others said, likely the end of the line for manual Accords - Honda should have just opened up the parts bin and made it moar special. If a Accord Si was $35k, it could have been something pretty special and still not stepped on the toes of the TLX performance variants. Honda had to know it was going to be a specialty model that likely would get special ordered, so why not do it right? The enthusiast that really wants them will pay the extra for a LSD and other go-fast bits.
      The CTR LSD fits right in the 2.0t 6mt.

I think Honda should have did something to the seats aesthetically to differentiate them from my mother’s 2014 Toyota Corolla S. But they kept the weight down which really helps this car hold it’s own for what it is. It can definitely get the blood flowing driving at about 8/10ths.

I can appreciate that coming from a 3800lb Maxima Platinum with like every option. It was not slow, but it really had too much front weight.

I also wanted a GLI, but I couldn’t get dealers to budge. And it was like $500/month lease, for a mid level trim at that. I’ve had plenty of GTIs, including a FBO MK7, so it was natural now that the GLI was ‘back’. But VW can do whatever they want with the GLI because it’s such a low volume, niche vehicle.

So, I’m back in an Accord, coming from a 1987 Accord LX-i which was pretty nimble with it’s fuel-injected 110hp. IIRC the lesser models had about 98 hp and were carbureted.
      Last edited by StopSweatinMe; 09-05-2019 at 01:19 PM.

14. Junior Member
      Cars
      2015 VW CC Sport 6spd MT
      09-05-2019 02:33 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      oh, that's not what the steering was for?

I have an auto 2.0T, super awesome car, very impressed.

For the manual, the only annoying thing I am aware of is you'll need to have the electronic parking brake applied every single time you want to start the car
      That thing with the electronic parking brake is terrible. My old CC did not require that. You get used to it, but for the first few weeks I had it, until I got used to the shifter and clutch, I was stalling occasionally and holding up tons of cars as I futzed around trying to get it started again. The car also won't let you start until the clutch is depressed fully to the floor, not just past the engagement point. So alot of times I go to start it and it won't start because the clutch isn't depressed quite enough. It does tell you why it's not starting on the screen, which is nice.

15. Junior Member
      Cars
      2015 VW CC Sport 6spd MT
      09-05-2019 02:40 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post

Just to clarify, the Sport 1.5 is based off of an LX, so it is a gussied up base model. The Sport 2.0 is based off of an EX and has many more features. Most of the EX-L and Touring features I would consider luxury gravy, not performance enhancements or safety or convenience equipment.

Overall, the list of features on a Sport 2.0 is longer than an Autobahn GLI, but it does lack an LSD. That's not surprising as it is still a big family car. If someone is truly dedicated to sporty driving above all else, and they are looking at the GLI or Accord, I would recommend the GLI. If they want balance and practicality with a helping of performance, I'd recommend Accord.

16. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-05-2019 03:08 PM #40
      The GLI is not much lighter than the Sport 2.0T, and it's a whole heap uglier in and out. The LSD out of the CTR is only $800 for parts plus installation and I think is a straight swap. At stock power levels that's probably good enough

17. 09-05-2019 05:15 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by AC1DD View Post
      They actually had some of the very best during the late 80s til late 90s.

I was there and can tell you they were incredible, snick snick positive feel, throws not too long or too short, clutch pedal feel and take up were spot on! Hard to believe that can't still do them this way, no excuse really. I personally still prefer dry clutches with the best feel and take up.
      I thought only dsg type transmitions had wet clutches and it is a conventional clutch master/slave.

18. Member
      Cars
      2014 Corolla 6MT, 2017 Golf
      09-05-2019 07:49 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      couldn't that easily be tuned out? My Mazda has some weird rev hang between 1st and 2nd, and it's annoying af.
      Hondata might time it out, but rev hang is really built into the ECU of all cars with drive by wire accelerators. Just Google rev hang with popular manual cars like GTI, WRX, etc.

19. Member
      Cars
      2015 Fiesta ST, 97 Miata
      09-05-2019 10:05 PM #43
      That thing with the electronic parking brake is terrible. My old CC did not require that. You get used to it, but for the first few weeks I had it, until I got used to the shifter and clutch, I was stalling occasionally and holding up tons of cars as I futzed around trying to get it started again. The car also won't let you start until the clutch is depressed fully to the floor, not just past the engagement point. So alot of times I go to start it and it won't start because the clutch isn't depressed quite enough. It does tell you why it's not starting on the screen, which is nice.
      Why wouldn't you push the clutch the whole way down? Do you really save the extra half inch?

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Cars
      392+485=LOL
      09-06-2019 12:40 AM #44
      Hondata might time it out, but rev hang is really built into the ECU of all cars with drive by wire accelerators. Just Google rev hang with popular manual cars like GTI, WRX, etc.

My 64 year old sister (and recent grandma status) just bought a Civic Si. I took it out for a drive and the rev hang was... Weird! I was wondering if something was wrong with it. You’re saying that behavior is typical now?
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

21. Member
      Cars
      2014 Corolla 6MT, 2017 Golf
      09-06-2019 04:16 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      My 64 year old sister (and recent grandma status) just bought a Civic Si. I took it out for a drive and the rev hang was... Weird! I was wondering if something was wrong with it. You’re saying that behavior is typical now?
      Yes, unless it’s a Porsche or BMW manual. For some reason manual luxury cars are not giving in to this EPA mandated rev hang on high volume cars.

Cars
      392+485=LOL
      09-06-2019 11:05 AM #46
      Yes, unless it’s a Porsche or BMW manual. For some reason manual luxury cars are not giving in to this EPA mandated rev hang on high volume cars.

My car is a manual, but I don't have to content with that rev hang crap. It does have a super annoying "skip shift" feature for supposed mileage and emissions improvement. I've lived with it for a few years, but it almost got me killed twice in the last couple of months, so I'm going to buy one those eliminators that plug into the solenoid and turn that **** off.
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

23. Junior Member
      Cars
      2015 VW CC Sport 6spd MT
      09-06-2019 03:59 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      My car is a manual, but I don't have to content with that rev hang crap. It does have a super annoying "skip shift" feature for supposed mileage and emissions improvement. I've lived with it for a few years, but it almost got me killed twice in the last couple of months, so I'm going to buy one those eliminators that plug into the solenoid and turn that **** off.
      What is a skip shift feature? I'm praying my Accord does not employ that, whatever it is. Sounds horrible.

Cars
      2011 CW GTI
      09-06-2019 04:58 PM #48
      What is a skip shift feature? I'm praying my Accord does not employ that, whatever it is. Sounds horrible.
      He’s talking about on his Dodge. Nothing like that on the Accord but the rev hang isn’t any better. Have been shopping an Accord/Si/insert another manual “sport” sedan to replace my 2016 V6 accord but I don’t think they’re going to be much of a replacement. Love a lot of the features and driving characteristics but rev hang and a few others are kind of deal breakers.
      XBL: taterj

Cars
      392+485=LOL
      09-06-2019 05:15 PM #49
      I don't know all the parameters, but basically when I accelerate in 1st gear and try to shift between 19-21 mph, the system locks me out of 2nd gear and tries to force me into 4th. It's not smooth, and I find myself fighting for a gear - usually at the point when I need the acceleration the most. Super frustrating.

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      09-06-2019 05:16 PM #50

The "rev hang" is there to minimize emissions during engine transients. If you were to suddenly snap the throttle closed, it can cause transient rich and/or lean conditions. You can also get some unburnt fuel pulled out of the ring land area, increasing emissions. The rev hang allows you to smooth that transition out.

It isn't specific to drive-by-wire cars... it's just easier with drive-by-wire cars. Many mechanical throttle cars have idle air control systems which either actuate the throttle plate directly, or bypass air around the throttle. These could be used on mechanical throttle cars to implement the same rev hang.
      =

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast