VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

HPFP repair kit: What the heck are these?

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  federal8valve 
#1 ·
When I bought my A3 awhile back I shortly after found out about the cam follower issue, I checked mine and sure enough it was worn through. I replaced the follower then, about 10,000km ago but noticed that the plunger tip was worn a bit (cam lobe looked fine however) and I've since had no problems whatsoever as far as codes or issues with the fuel pump since replacing the cam follower.

Anyway that brings me to now and I saw on ebay a HPFP repair kid that comes with a new plunger tip so I ordered it at only approx $10. It has arrived along with a new cam follower as well and I want to go and replace both items BUT the repair kit did not include instructions nor are the sellers of any help to me (from china).

• Maybe someone can tell me what these two things are that were included I can't figure it out?
  • Also the plunger tip looks like it came in 2 pieces is that normal?
  • Thirdly, any idea how difficult it will be to change out the plunger tip?

Picture of the kit and a picture of the pump tip for reference

See less See more
#3 ·
Knowing that HPFP's are the one of few things that can submarine this motor, maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't use ebay parts here (or really anywhere on my car).

Just my $0.02.

I think there are other re-build kits out there, though the one I was thinking of doesn't appear to be in business anymore.

#4 · (Edited)
I have never seen those two crescent pieces when disassembling the hpfp. So...???

The oem tip is two pieces...this is explained in the vid another provided...above ↑.

Usually, a bit of wiggling will push the center button enough outward and away from the piston so it can be removed from the button end of the piston. If not, with the piston removed from the pump, set the free end of the piston on a solid surface in a vertical position and grasp the button ring and apply force downward toward the solid surface. This may push upward on the center button so that it can be removed from the piston.

#11 ·
I sent a msg to user wwfautoparts

"I have a 2008 TFSI audi 2.0l T and have had my hpfp apart and no matter how I look at your pictures I am unable to figure out how they go to gether do you have a vedo or more better assemble pictures cause i have no idea how that goes into that and what the two half round washer metal things are for?!"

they replied just now

"Hi,friend.

Good day,the two half round washer metal things,some people will use it ,maybe not use it in the car.

best regards"

as you can see very helpful..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.