VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

P2293 fsi

4K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  The Dub Doc 
#1 ·
So last year my motor took a dump. Had a close friend who works at Audi hook me up with a new engine, HPFP, turbo, the whole 9. He installed everything for me so I know it wasn’t a hack job.

P2293 has been on intermittently since the new engine was put in. Car still holds 15+ pounds of boost, runs great.

Anyone have any clue what this could be from? Some sort of electrical issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Do you have VCDS?

Recommend you log measuring block data for low pressure fuel pump supply and duty cycle as well as rail pressure specified/actual values. You should do this both at idle and during WOT pulls in 3rd or 4th gear from 2K RPMs all the way up to 6-6.5K RPMs. Logging this data will give insight into if the issue is on the low pressure or high pressure side, which is important because the P2293 can result from several different issues and they can be on either end of the fueling system.

Ideally you should see the LPFP putting out 5-6.5 bar of fuel pressure during the above scenarios (idle and WOT pulls). Less than 5 bar is not ideal, especially if the duty cycle of the LPFP is very high because that means it is working really hard to make subpar pressure. This indicates and issue with the pump, or more likely the control module for the pump which is known to fail and can cause this code.

You should see around 50bar at idle on the fuel rail. As for fuel rail pressure during pulls, that entirely depends on your tune and you haven't specified anything about that; but in general if you see the actual meet specified consistently then this typically suggests the high pressure side is doing its job fine.

Considering that the issue began after the new engine swap and HPFP I am leaning heavily towards it being an issue on the high pressure side. Was the HPFP new or used? Issues with the HPFP supplying enough rail pressure are common causes of P2293.

I'll give more input as you give me more info...

#3 ·
Thanks for the detailed response. It’s currently stage 2 unitronic. All engine parts were OEM, brand new from the dealer.

The code also came on before the motor went as well. However we knew the cam follower had failed under the previous owner, and wore down the cam lobe. I attributed the code to that, but could’ve been wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Worn down cam lobe would absolutely be a cause of P2293 so that was a natural assumption on your part. If you have replaced the intake camshaft, the HPFP, and if the fuel rail and fuel rail pressure regulator valve are all NEW as of the engine swap, as well as double-checked all the work and see no signs of fuel leakage around the HPFP or rail, then that covers all the common culprits of the high pressure side. At that point you will want to log data as I described above to get a better idea of what is really going on. If you need more clarity on how that logging is done let me know.

#10 ·
I would put in the control module for lpfp. See what happens. Then try to find someone local with VCDS (put a post out on PA dubbers or any number of Facebook groups) or just buy it yourself, and do some logging. I can explain to you how to properly log for this issue when you get to that point. But basically if the fuel pressure regulator valve (what I was calling the “fuel pressure relief valve”) is bad then you will see actual rail pressure hit a very consistent peak number (which will be lower than the commanded fuel pressure) and then it will either fluctuate around that number or drop off. This is because that valve is rated to crack open at a certain pressure. The factory rating is around 130bar but over years the rating can decrease and of will crack open more easily at lower pressures. But it will typically still be a consistent pressure, at least for the duration of a data logging session. So you’ll see the actual rail pressure can’t go past, say, 110bar meanwhile the ECU is commanding, say, 130bar. That would be at wide-open throttle by the way. This is the kind of data you’re looking for/scenario you are trying to test

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.