Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017+ CX-5s

Cars
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      08-25-2019 10:26 AM #1
      How are these holding up? Are the nice looking interior materials durable? Interested in a 2017-2018 FWD Touring/Grand Touring.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member
      In a minivan by the river with a squirrel and rat
      Cars
      grey ghost wagon and a 944
      08-25-2019 10:29 AM #2
      Hello feg!

You are interested in how materials are holding up for 2 years?

You should ask for at least 3 years as that's a common duration for new cars (lease term).
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

4. Senior Member
      In a minivan by the river with a squirrel and rat
      Cars
      grey ghost wagon and a 944
      08-25-2019 11:21 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
      You mean the guy?

Isn't the rule like 4 hours, then you need to go to the hospital to have it lanced?
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

Cars
      MIL Machine
      08-25-2019 12:22 PM #4
      Only problems I’ve seen on them is rust.
      And boy do they like to rust.
      Your favorite Ziemniak, hold the gravy.

Cars
      2019 Mazda 3
      08-25-2019 12:43 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled Ziemniak View Post
      Only problems I’ve seen on them is rust.
      And boy do they like to rust.
      Humm, I haven't heard of any rust issues on the CX-5. Mind forwarding an example.

I follow Mazda forums quite closely and haven't heard of any reliability or durability issues in particular. I think its a safe bet.

Cars
      MIL Machine
      08-25-2019 12:50 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      Humm, I haven't heard of any rust issues on the CX-5. Mind forwarding an example.

I follow Mazda forums quite closely and haven't heard of any reliability or durability issues in particular. I think its a safe bet.
      I dunno man. I’ve been under a few CX-5’s and for the most part, I see a lot more surface rust taking gold than most other new cars, bar Nissan. Not a big issue yet, but I expect to start seeing peoples complaints arise within 5 or 10 years
      Your favorite Ziemniak, hold the gravy.

8. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it
      08-25-2019 01:04 PM #7
      Sorry man, you’re not allowed to trade your G35 for a CX-5. TCL won’t allow it.

Cars
      2010 Mazda5, 2018 Mazda CX-5
      08-25-2019 01:08 PM #8
      I have a 2018, my wife is the main driver and she does outside sales and has managed to put 34k miles on it so far. The only unscheduled repair I've needed is because the dealer double-filled the engine oil once (leaving my wife stranded on the side of the road, that's a sore story that's lost my business at that particular dealer). Just did my first DIY oil change on it, as we used up the maintenance plan. I wanted to poke around underneath, and examine everything, and found no signs of anything rusting after one Chicago winter. I don't expect it to rust away like my 2010 Mazda5.
      I wish I had a cool car.
      Out Girl Out first photo responder.

10. Member
      Cars
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      08-25-2019 01:33 PM #9
      I have an early 2017 GT with 38k on it. It's holding up really well. Only issue has been an occasional clunk from the suspension; beyond that, it's been flawless. No unusual surface rust, and the parchment interior still looks new.

Tom

Cars
      08-25-2019 03:16 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Sorry man, you’re not allowed to trade your G35 for a CX-5. TCL won’t allow it.
      See most of the replies above. As a whole, TCL tends to give idiotic advice, and it's typically wise to do the opposite of what they say...

Quote Originally Posted by -DWM- View Post
      I have a 2018, my wife is the main driver and she does outside sales and has managed to put 34k miles on it so far. The only unscheduled repair I've needed is because the dealer double-filled the engine oil once (leaving my wife stranded on the side of the road, that's a sore story that's lost my business at that particular dealer). Just did my first DIY oil change on it, as we used up the maintenance plan. I wanted to poke around underneath, and examine everything, and found no signs of anything rusting after one Chicago winter. I don't expect it to rust away like my 2010 Mazda5.
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      I have an early 2017 GT with 38k on it. It's holding up really well. Only issue has been an occasional clunk from the suspension; beyond that, it's been flawless. No unusual surface rust, and the parchment interior still looks new.

Tom
      ...with the exception of people who actually own the vehicle in question. Thanks for the replies. Occasional clunks from the suspension as in something is loose that can't be tracked down, or just "noise"? Our '18 Rav4 clunks like hell over sharp impacts, but I'm guessing that's just because the rear suspension isn't very good at dealing with those kinds of impacts. Good to hear that they seem to be holding up well so far though. Yes, they are still fairly new and should still look good, but 30-40k is the kind of mileage I'll put on in 5 years, so it's relevant.

12. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      08-25-2019 03:28 PM #11
      Is this a replacement for the G?

I am kind of curious about a 2.5T AWD as a replacement for the MKX. Supposedly they have the same legroom and similar cargo space despite having that long nose and being half a foot shorter. RDX is in the running too

13. 08-25-2019 04:07 PM #12
      2018 touring with 18k on it. Love it. Came from a 2018 tiguan which was bought back by vw for being a total POS. The mazda has been flawless. I also installed the apple carplay update, which made it even that more enjoyable.

14. Member
      Cars
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      08-25-2019 05:09 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      Occasional clunks from the suspension as in something is loose that can't be tracked down, or just "noise"? Our '18 Rav4 clunks like hell over sharp impacts, but I'm guessing that's just because the rear suspension isn't very good at dealing with those kinds of impacts.
      As far as I know, it's just noise, like a thunk from a bushing. I've had it looked at, but nothing is loose.

Tom

15. Member
      Cars
      MK7 GTI
      08-25-2019 07:10 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      As far as I know, it's just noise, like a thunk from a bushing. I've had it looked at, but nothing is loose.

Tom
      I have that too in my 2016.5 -- I'm 99% sure it's a control arm bushing (or something innocuous in that region) because it goes away once the suspension has been put to work for a while.

I was concerned for a bit that it was lash in the transmission, but it's definitely suspension. Out of the bumper to bumper at this point, so I'm just going to ignore it

I kinda wish I waited to snag a 2017, but ours has been great for something like 47k miles at this point. Nothing wrong with it but stupid stuff like a broken console latch or me backing into a dump truck in Chicago then having someone clip that bumper again in a parking lot.

16. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      08-25-2019 08:33 PM #15
      All of the glossy black trim on the GT scratches like crazy if you look at it funny. Seriously, 100% cotton towels scratch it. (The trim on the exterior between the windows can be replaced with matte pieces from lower models though).
      The infotainment drives me crazy because it takes WAY too long to pass the warning screen so you can do something. You hit the home button to say "I agree", it still lags. I'd pay $1000 if someone could turn off that ****ing warning screen permanently
      E brake switch is annoying as hell. It's not a toggle. One direction turns it on, another turns it off. You're trying to pull out of the driveway and you stab it down, but you don't look... No bueno. Stupid as hell.
      Last edited by MAC; 08-25-2019 at 08:40 PM.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

08-25-2019 08:40 PM #16
      I sell them, and we have a service center. I'm a diehard german fanboy at heart and honest to God, If i had to pick a Japanese sorta luxury vehicle, based on engine, interior materials, fit and finish, (Short of Lexus) I'd go with a GT-R or Signature CX-5

They are robust, have a REAL transmission (not one of those horrid CVT's) and they have great power if you go for the turbo'd engine.

we get them in all the time mainly for oil changes. really don't see any recurring issues with these. Best of luck!
      Current Cars: 2018 BMW///M3 6 Speed Manual Yas Marina Blue over Sakhir Orange Leather | 2017 Volvo S90 Inscription T6 AWD | 2004 Infiniti FX35
      Previous Cars: 2016 GLI DSG SEL | 2015 Touareg Lux TDI | 2014 GLI 6 Speed Manual Autobahn | 2012 Odyssey EX-L | 2010 Outback 6 Speed Manual | 2008 VW GTI 6 Speed Manual | 2008 BMW 328xi 6 Speed Manual | 2007 VW Rabbit 5 Speed Manual | 2001 Honda Accord

Cars
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      08-25-2019 08:43 PM #17
      Extremely well made and robust vehicle. It’s the best one Mazda makes.

Also looks damn good and will for the next 10 years.

Cars
      2019 Mazda 3
      08-25-2019 09:06 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      The infotainment drives me crazy because it takes WAY too long to pass the warning screen so you can do something. You hit the home button to say "I agree", it still lags. I'd pay $1000 if someone could turn off that ****ing warning screen permanently
      Mazda's new infotainment fixes this annoying issue, and many others. Hopefully 2020 will bring the revised unit for the CX-5.

20. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      08-25-2019 09:10 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post
      Extremely well made and robust vehicle. It’s the best one Mazda makes.
      This. I sold mine for almost $10,000 with 112k on it and zero problems. The piano-black shows fingerprints quite a bit, but that's just a niggle. A great car for the money.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      08-25-2019 10:06 PM #20
      I have nothing to add, other than to say I have an irrational attraction to the Signature Diesel model (irrational because the gas turbo model is cheaper and nearly as efficient).
      =

Cars
      2012 Jeep Wrangler sport, 2015 GTI SE w/ PP
      08-26-2019 09:12 AM #21
      My fiancee has a 2019 Touring AWD with approx 5,000 miles on it (bought in April). Can't speak for the actual material wear or rust just yet but it is a great and quiet cruiser. We take it on road trips all the time and it is a joy to drive. I wish she went with the bigger motor available in the Grand Touring or Signature editions because when accelerating it causes the motor to scream just to accelerate on a highway on-ramp. But once it gets to speed it is a nice place to be.
      "Look pal, I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like: what is beauty? Because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of Philosophy. I solve practical problems!" ~ Dell C.
      The Blue Crayon 2 - 2015 VW GTI with performance pack
      The Little Green Crayon - 2102 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport (modified for mud)

Cars
      08-26-2019 09:20 AM #22
      Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      All of the glossy black trim on the GT scratches like crazy if you look at it funny. Seriously, 100% cotton towels scratch it.
      Good to know. I'm not a fan of piano black trim (looks cheap, hard to keep clean)... does the Touring trim have less? I'm leaning that way anyway. I like fake suede seats and spending less money.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      I sell them, and we have a service center. I'm a diehard german fanboy at heart and honest to God, If i had to pick a Japanese sorta luxury vehicle, based on engine, interior materials, fit and finish, (Short of Lexus) I'd go with a GT-R or Signature CX-5

They are robust, have a REAL transmission (not one of those horrid CVT's) and they have great power if you go for the turbo'd engine.

we get them in all the time mainly for oil changes. really don't see any recurring issues with these. Best of luck!
      Yeah, the 2.5t could be fun, but I'm looking for decent MPG, low-$20s, and FWD. I agree about the transmission - it's a real selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      This. I sold mine for almost $10,000 with 112k on it and zero problems. The piano-black shows fingerprints quite a bit, but that's just a niggle. A great car for the money.
      Wait, you had a non-Honda? Come to think of it, you had a G35/7 too, right?

Cars
      16' GTI
      08-26-2019 09:55 AM #23
      We bought a leftover 2018 CX-5 in April in Soul Red with Tech package (basically every option) and we kind of regret it.

Start with the pros:
      - Car is incredibly silent when it comes to NVH, it's very well composed over bumps and wind noise is of something you'd get in a premium luxury car
      - Looks fantastic
      - LED Headlights are amazing
      - Transmission is responsive and shifts quickly
      - Interior looks nice
      - Decent space for a small SUV
      - Heads up display is great
      - Lots of tech
      - Gets decent gas mileage
      - AWD

Cons:
      - Paint chips! It's a bit specific to the colour we bought but we had about 5 paint chips in 2 weeks. Dropped the car off at the dealer to get them fixed, they kept it for a week (gave us a Civic rental) and sent it back patched up...I just washed the car last night and noticed about 8 chips (not all on the hood). The paint is extremely thin. I can post some pics if you're interested.
      - This bothers me more than it should but the gas flap has a manual lever to open it and the flap is super flimsy
      - The car dents easily, just had 3 door dings removed and we park fairly carefully
      - The car started stuttering like it was misfiring in June, we took it in twice and they did a SW upgrade part of a recall. Recall has to do with cylinder deactivation
      - Brakes are squealing already
      - Adaptive cruise control is a bit abrupt, not as smooth as my GTI or some of the other cars I've driven. One of our must-have features.
      - Blindspot monitoring - light doesn't turn until there is a truck length of space, which makes it kind of useless when passing someone. It beeps and flashes. And you can't adjust the sensitivity.
      - Seats are not super comfortable if you have long legs
      - The interior quality is very interesting, some parts of it are soft touch and good quality and then you move your hand 1 inch lower it feels like very cheap plastic

I wish I could go back in time and at least buy it in a different colour. Every time I walk around the car I find new paint chips.
      Last edited by jai5; 08-26-2019 at 09:58 AM.
      Past: 94 Jetta, 89 Accord (beater), 97 Jetta GT, 91 Mazda 626 (beater), 02 Audi A4, 07 Civic (commuter), 06 BMW 330i, 12 GTI, 96 Ls1 Swapped E36, 2013 MT Focus

25. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      08-26-2019 10:02 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      Wait, you had a non-Honda? Come to think of it, you had a G35/7 too, right?
      I've had close to 30 VWs, 1 Dodge Rampage, a Mazda CX5, and the rest are Hondas. I will never own a Nissan product.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Cars
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL-Premium (non R-Line)
      08-26-2019 10:14 AM #25
      My best friend has a 2017 GT AWD. He noted two issues:

1) The ACC sensor tends to go out making the system useless.

2) The infotainment system resets itself and hangs during driving quite a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast