Fourtitude.com - Announcing (?) the official 2020 TCL Jeep run of Elephant Hill in Moab, Utah
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    1. 08-21-2019 03:38 AM #1
      (I suggested this trip in Crispyfritter's recent glamping thread, but I'm afraid it may have gotten lost in the shuffle there. Since I was serious about it, I decided to make a dedicated thread to discuss the idea and properly gauge interest. With that goal in mind, here we are.)

Jeeps climbing up the front side of Elephant Hill

Of all the Jeep trails in and around Moab, Elephant Hill ranks as the most scenic. Besides the unique and breathtaking scenery, there are also two easy hikes (one into a slot canyon which is gorgeous in its own right).

We get to hike this slot canyon at our lunch stop

The four wheeling is relatively mild as far as Moab Jeep trails go; this one is rated a 4 (out of 10) and can be carefully driven in a showroom stock 4dr Wrangler (though added clearance from a small lift will provide some peace of mind in a few spots). Locking diffs are not necessary, though 33” or larger tires are recommended. Of course, drivers of Jeeps with substantial mods will find this trail to be quite easy.

The yellow and blue lines (in the green Canyonlands National Park) designate the trail

There are a few things which need to be taken into consideration when running Elephant Hill. These include:

• This is an all-day event. We will leave Moab at 8am sharp, and probably won't return until 7 pm or later.
      • The above means you'll spend at least two nights in Moab for this trip. You'll have many options for lodging, from camp sites to RV parks to a variety of hotels. Room prices in Moab vary from Somewhat Expensive to Definitely Expensive to Are You Kidding Me??? Deal with it.
      • Absolutely no pets allowed--not even on a leash, not even in your vehicle. If the ranger at the Park entrance sees Fido, your vehicle won't be allowed to enter.
      • Each vehicle is required to have a permit to enter Elephant Hill. There are only 24 permits available each day--period. This permit may cost up to $30, and can be purchased online the day before. There may also be a separate fee of ~$10 just to enter Canyonlands Park itself. These fees go directly to park/trail maintenance, which makes them a good thing.
      • Theoretically, groups are limited to only three vehicles with space between each group. We might have to be a little creative to get us all in at once, depending how many want to join in.
      • There is plenty of room at the Canyonlands Visitor Center for trailers, so you can tow your Jeep from Moab if desired (I'll be doing this).
      • Unlike most Moab trails, Elephant Hill has a few stops along the way with pit toilets.

Parking area for the slot canyon hike--note pit toilet in the background

I know this trail well, and am comfortable leading groups through it (I've done so in the past). It's an easy trail to follow, and there is virtually no chance of getting lost and/or suffering any sort of catastrophe. Even if an oddball disaster were to strike, I would be able to summon the county sheriff and/or a Life Flight helicopter via my ham radio (most of the trail has no cell phone coverage). In other words, there is little reason to be afraid of making this run.

If the participants are interested, we might be able to make this a multi-day, multi-trail event. I may be able to have a local friend to guide us along one of the classic Moab trails such as Hell's Revenge or Fins 'n Things (for example) on the following day.

So, who's in?

Are you interested in making this trip? If so, speak up. EDIT: we are currently planning on Monday, Sept 28th. However, I am open to further suggestions from the group.

What say you, TCL?
      Last edited by TurboMinivan; 07-04-2020 at 03:55 PM.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '13 Fiat 500e, '13 Golf R, '13 Tiguan SEL
      08-21-2019 05:23 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      We get to hike this slot canyon at our lunch stop
      Now now. What if she heard what you called her? She seems lovely.
      Wuste European Car Festival The West Coast's LARGEST European Car Show!

4. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      11-21-2019 10:10 AM #3
      Well I missed this but am seriously interested. My lady and I have been talking about a long vacation out west next summer to do thing just like this.

Seemingly not many others are interested, but maybe with this bump more people will see it?

Dempsey, PM if you are still interested and no one else is in here

We just need Cabin Pics and Stack and we could have a great time. And thats the three cars
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

5. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      11-21-2019 10:27 AM #4
      Interested if it coincides with available vacation time and the 10 year olds schedule.

Would be in a stock JKU.

6. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      11-21-2019 10:29 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      Interested if it coincides with available vacation time and the 10 year olds schedule.

Would be in a stock JKU.
      Ill be in my stock (Plus tires) WK2. I am assuming it will be able to handle it?...
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      11-21-2019 10:35 AM #6
      If we do early in the fall I'm in.

We're doing FL with the family in early June, so I'm already booked that time of year.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      11-21-2019 10:41 AM #7
      BTW I was on vacation out of the country when this thread initially dropped so that's why I didn't see it.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

9. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      11-21-2019 10:47 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      BTW I was on vacation out of the country when this thread initially dropped so that's why I didn't see it.
      Excuses are like *******s.

10. Senior Member
      11-21-2019 10:50 AM #9
      Hmmm might be in, as we've been talking about actually taking trips out west in the Jeep, could be fun. So at least very interested.

Either times seems openish to us other than I think the GF is trying to take her mom to Europe for her 70th in the spring.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      11-21-2019 11:08 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Excuses are like *******s.
      You can't expect me to be trolling the 'tex when I'm drunk on champagne and oogling French chicks, brah.

12. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Cars
      '17 TT Alum Ford, '96 VRT Cabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      11-21-2019 11:13 AM #11
      Hey, this looks like fun! Jeeps only, anything else allowed if one doesn't own a Jeep?

13. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      11-21-2019 11:14 AM #12
      You can't expect me to be trolling the 'tex when I'm drunk on champagne and oogling French chicks, brah.
      Also, **** your family trip. You dont want to go to Diesney, there is nothing there for you.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      11-21-2019 11:14 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Hey, this looks like fun! Jeeps only, anything else allowed if one doesn't own a Jeep?
      I would expect any capable off roader would be accepted, Jeep, Toyota, Land Rover if you can put the electrical fires out, Xterra, what have you.

15. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      11-21-2019 11:15 AM #14
      Jeeps and tristar TDIs only.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      11-21-2019 11:16 AM #15
      Also, **** your family trip. You dont want to go to Diesney, there is nothing there for you.
      Disney and seeing my family is in February. June is redneck riviera with her family. I'm going to FL three times in 13 months (was there in May)

17. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Cars
      '17 TT Alum Ford, '96 VRT Cabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      11-21-2019 11:29 AM #16

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      11-21-2019 11:33 AM #17
      If you're going to go down there and have never been before, should also at least do Hell's Revenge. It is the quintessential Moab trail.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      11-21-2019 11:38 AM #18
      Will there be an elephant walk at Elephant Hill? Asking for a friend....

20. Member
      Cars
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      11-21-2019 11:45 AM #19

21. Member
      Cars
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      11-21-2019 11:49 AM #20
      Anyone have an empty seat?

Elephant Hill is just the best.

22. 11-21-2019 11:56 AM #21
      Would be in a stock JKU.
      Ill be in my stock (Plus tires) WK2. I am assuming it will be able to handle it?...
      Five years ago, I ran Elephant Hill with a local friend in a showroom stock JKU Rubicon. He had just purchased it from me the week before, and it had less than 300 miles on it when he hit the trail. It got through the entire trail just fine, though he may have rubbed a skid plate once or twice. If you have any experience at carefully choosing a good line for your vehicle, you should both be fine.

Jeeps only, anything else allowed if one doesn't own a Jeep?
      Even EJS allows non-Jeep vehicles to participate, and I am no different. Any brand of street-legal 4WD vehicle (with low range and high clearance) is welcome to come along. However, full-size rigs may want to think twice. There is one tight squeeze between two rocks which has been nicknamed the Hummer filter, and all vehicles must pass through it--there is no alternate route.

The squeeze, as seen from the entrance:

A JKU enters the squeeze:

The rocks have been placed there to help keep your vehicle level so that you don't lean into one of the rock walls and damage your rig.

Think skinny thoughts!

This is a really fun trail.
      Dempsey Bowling
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

23. 11-21-2019 12:05 PM #22
      Well I missed this but am seriously interested. My lady and I have been talking about a long vacation out west next summer to do thing just like this.
      If we do early in the fall I'm in.
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      Either times seems openish to us other than I think the GF is trying to take her mom to Europe for her 70th in the spring.
      Okay, it sounds like we are leaning toward early fall rather than late spring. Can we narrow down any more specifically? August is gonna be a million degrees out, so I don't think we should consider that. September will be a bit better, and October would be better still... but it depends on what you guys can do. Everybody, speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      Anyone have an empty seat?
      I have one extra seat, and so far it is open.
      Dempsey Bowling

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      11-21-2019 12:29 PM #23
      While the timing on this probably won't work for me, nice job putting this together for the other TCLers.

It's been fun to see the progression of the forum to become more open to all motorsports and there's definitely some excitement for 4x4s on here these days.

25. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6, 2006 CR-V
      11-21-2019 12:46 PM #24

Seemingly not many others are interested, but maybe with this bump more people will see it?

Dempsey, PM if you are still interested and no one else is in here

We just need Cabin Pics and Stack and we could have a great time. And thats the three cars
      I currently am without a 4x4, but I know a guy.

I could always drive out there and meet up, then ride.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

26. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      11-21-2019 12:52 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      Okay, it sounds like we are leaning toward early fall rather than late spring.
      That’s only for stack.

Not that I am the leading factor but my plan was either first week of June or July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast