Fourtitude.com - Mazda MX-30 BEV mule spotted
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    1. 08-16-2019 06:09 PM #1
      Contrary to the title of this article the Electric vehicle shown is a mule based off the CX-30. While we cannot tell much from the outside, the BEV will be similar in size to the CX-30 and matches up with the recent Mazda trademark application in Europe for MX-30.

https://electrek.co/2019/08/16/mazda...-testing-cx-5/

Last edited by hoodlum90; 10-23-2019 at 12:14 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      08-16-2019 06:40 PM #2
      Instead of "Murdered Out" will this color scheme be called "Aggravated Battery"?
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Cars
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      08-16-2019 06:40 PM #3
      Yeah but does it have a rotary?

5. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      08-16-2019 08:20 PM #4
      Almost looks good from the front 2/3rd's view. Can't say the same about the rear 2/3rd's view. Perhaps it's better looking than the Bentayga I spotted in the flesh yesterday. Bentley/VW sure isn't trying to sell you on its exterior.

6. 08-16-2019 08:28 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      All electric motors are rotary, come to think of it

08-16-2019 09:02 PM #6
      MX names are now going to be CUVs? Come on Mazda... there is literally 22 other letters to choose from besides M and R.

Unless of course this is the start of an all new lineup of high performance version of existing CX models. Then I'm going to wait and see how this turns out.

8. Member
      Cars
      08-16-2019 09:25 PM #7
      Rodriguez also says that it sounded like an electric car.
      Doesn't a mouse make more noise than an electric car?

Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      08-16-2019 09:44 PM #8
      ^

When going less than 25 mph, all EV mode cars should make the sound "I-am-saving-the-planet-I-am-saving-the-planet-I-am-saving-the-planet-I-am-saving-the-planet-..."

10. 09-03-2019 10:58 PM #9
      So it looks like the BEV was actually being tested by reviewers.

https://driving.ca/mazda/features/fe...ectric-vehicle

OSLO, Norway — As electric vehicle powerhouses go, Mazda is an extremely unlikely candidate. Heretofore resolutely dedicated to internal combustion – for such a relatively small manufacturer, they’ve managed an incredible number of ICE breakthroughs – the Zoom-Zoom company has barely ventured into electric, and is one of the few mainstream automakers selling neither electric vehicle nor hybrid of any kind in North America.

And yet, not five minutes into the presentation from Mazda’s head of vehicle development and product planning, Hiroyuki Matsumoto, in the Amerikalinjen hotel in Oslo, Norway, I knew I was looking at exactly the electric vehicle I would be designing, were I still using my now-45-year-old engineering degree.

Let’s start with the basics. Mazda has calculated the optimal battery size is 35.5 kilowatt-hours. Now, that may seem an awfully precise and, more importantly, small rating for an EV’s battery, but thanks to some efficiencies it was unwilling to volunteer at this juncture – the final spec of the company’s first electric car won’t be released until this year’s Tokyo Motor Show – that’s good enough for around 200 kilometres of inner-city driving.

Why not go for a Tesla-like 500 kilometres of range, you ask? After all, that’s the main battlefield these days for electric vehicle supremacy, automakers competing to cram as many lithium-ions into their increasingly expensive EVs that they might alleviate our range anxieties.

Well, there are two reasons. The first – and this has been proclaimed by every EV-maker from Tesla to Toyota, not to mention pretty much every amateur commenter on Motor Mouth – people seldom use anywhere near the required 100 kWh needed to guarantee 500 clicks of autonomy. And fewer kilowatt-hours means less weight, reduced cost and dramatically better handling in any EV.

It is also, according to an increasing number of voices, including electrification-powerhouse Toyota, an inefficient use of lithium. The theory being espoused is that increasing the size of a car’s battery brings diminishing returns in terms of greenhouse gas reduction. Essentially, go the calculations, putting one kWh into 100 hybrids will reduce more CO2 – 100 times 40 per cent, or the equivalent of 40 purely ICE cars – than ladling 100 kWh into one Tesla, which is only equivalent to getting one ICE-powered vehicle off the road.

According to the projections I have seen, the break-even point – more accurately, the size of battery beyond which there is very little benefit in CO2 reduction – is somewhere between 30 and 40 kWh, pretty much in line with Mazda’s determination.

Of course, that means the basic e-TPV – electric-Technology Prove-out Vehicle – is largely an urban runabout. Oh, its 200-or-so-kilometre range will be just fine for suburban forays and the like that will almost assuredly cover most consumers’ daily drives, but it isn’t the range-monster that is going to get someone across the Prairies on a cross-Canada excursion. That’s why Mazda’s production EV, due late in 2020, will offer —

A range extender. And not just any range extender, but a rotary-powered generator.

Now, I don’t think I need to remind anyone reading Driving.ca that “Mazda” and “rotary” are fairly synonymously entwined, the company being the last automaker to produce a rotary-engined car, the 2012 RX-8, for North American consumption. What you may not know is that Wankel engines are extremely efficient in both size – the U.S. Defense department has experimented with a three-kW rotary generator small enough to fit in a backpack – and fuel consumption.

(Though greedy when revved to their extremely high redline, they are more efficient than piston engines when maintaining a constant rpm).

In other words, their small size – important when you’re trying to stuff 355 volts of battery, an inverter and a range extender into a compact crossover – serves a range-extended EV perfectly.

But, so far, the e-TPV sounds a lot like a budget version of the Polestar 1, an interesting Tesla alternative that, while both entertaining and ground-breaking, is hardly perfect. The Mazda, however, gets closer to that perfection when Matsumoto announces the TPV’s rotary range extender can run on hydrogen. That’s right: Zero-emissions, greenhouse gas-friendly hydrogen.

For all you BEV proponents out there ready to decry any hybrid’s lack of purity, that means, save for a few hydrocarbons that squeak past a rotor seal – the equivalent of a piston engine’s rings – Mazda’s range-extended rotary would be as emissions-free as any ludicrous Tesla. And, in fact, Mazda already has experience with hydrogen-fueled rotaries, having produced a fleet of H2-powered RX-8s for Norway’s “hydrogen highway” experiment (supposedly King Harald V, who kicked off the program, was a big fan).

“But,” I can already hear Tesla fans screaming, “there is no hydrogen highway!” Putting aside the fact hydrogen stations are finally starting to pop up everywhere, Mazda’s last little trick is that the rotary could be – and, to be clear, is not yet – dual-powered. That is, future Mazda range-extended EVs could run on both gasoline and hydrogen. And, here again, Mazda has already experimented with dual-fuel hydrogen/gasoline rotaries, having produced the RX-8 RE in 2003.

So, at some point in the now-much-nearer future, I will be able to drive a Mazda that will fulfill all my daily driving needs emissions-free via a convenient charging port at home, drive in between cities without poisoning the atmosphere when H2 refueling stations are available and then, if I find hydrogen not available in some far-flung rural location, I can squeak by with a dash of gasoline.

In fact, for those still trumpeting Tesla superiority, hear this: A dual-fuel, range-extended Mazda means that, in the best of circumstances, I will have completely eliminated my tailpipe carbon footprint. In a worst-case scenario, my automotive CO2 production will have been reduced by some 80 per cent.

And all this without having to visit one slower-than-molasses, my-God-the-lineups-will-be-worse-than-the-1973-oil-crisis Supercharger station.

That’s what I call the perfect electric vehicle.

Cars
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      09-04-2019 12:35 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      Well, I didn’t predict a HYDROGEN rotary. Holy ****.

Cars
      E82M / W177 A35 / MSX125
      09-04-2019 06:10 AM #11
      Depending on what this will look like, this could be a 'shut up and take my money' moment.

13. Member
      Cars
      2012 A4, 1995 Miata. RIP: 1996 Miata, 2007 A4 2.0T, 2002 A4 1.8T, 1998 LGTL, 1995 JGC
      09-04-2019 06:30 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by hoodlum90 View Post
      So it looks like the BEV was actually being tested by reviewers.

https://driving.ca/mazda/features/fe...ectric-vehicle
      This is so ****ing cool. I absolutely love the innovation here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      That's like a child saying, "I'm going to swing my fists and walk towards you, and if you get hit, it's your fault!"

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      09-04-2019 06:41 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
      Depending on what this will look like, this could be a 'shut up and take my money' moment.
      same, minus the inevitable crossover bodystyle. I'll wait for them to plop this in a car body.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

15. Member
      Cars
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      09-04-2019 08:38 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
      Yep. Put it in a CX-30 body (and power it from gasoline, not hydrogen), and I'd happily trade in my CX-5.

Tom

Cars
      F80 / TDI / LWB
      09-04-2019 10:29 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Instead of "Murdered Out" will this color scheme be called "Aggravated Battery"?

flickr | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      The only place to hide your genitals is in the ladies of your enemies.

17. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-04-2019 10:39 AM #16
      It is also, according to an increasing number of voices, including electrification-powerhouse Toyota, an inefficient use of lithium. The theory being espoused is that increasing the size of a car’s battery brings diminishing returns in terms of greenhouse gas reduction. Essentially, go the calculations, putting one kWh into 100 hybrids will reduce more CO2 – 100 times 40 per cent, or the equivalent of 40 purely ICE cars – than ladling 100 kWh into one Tesla, which is only equivalent to getting one ICE-powered vehicle off the road.

Yes, the battery chemistry for a hybrid battery is different than a BEV battery, but the point still remains... which begs the obvious question, why in the **** isn't Mazda just making hybrids Toyota has already done all the developmental leg work and is offering them the tech for free. They could hybridize their whole lineup and nobody would know the difference outside of the ~30-40% better gas mileage. Instead now they have to do the whole "please make help us pacify your clueless bureaucrats" song and dance. This makes absolutely no sense to me

18. 10-21-2019 07:06 PM #17
      First leak of CX-30 image. I guess mazda wanted to introduce some RX-8 into the design. A year later we will likely have an assisted EV with a Rotary engine.

https://electrek.co/2019/10/21/mazda...0-first-photo/

Last edited by hoodlum90; 10-21-2019 at 07:15 PM.

19. Member
      Cars
      10-21-2019 07:17 PM #18
      Looks good from the front 2/3rds view but after you start scanning towards the rear end it makes you wanna run out the door.

20. 10-21-2019 07:28 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      Looks good from the front 2/3rds view but after you start scanning towards the rear end it makes you wanna run out the door.
      Just don't try running out the suicide doors.

21. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-21-2019 07:47 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Yes, the battery chemistry for a hybrid battery is different than a BEV battery, but the point still remains... which begs the obvious question, why in the **** isn't Mazda just making hybrids Toyota has already done all the developmental leg work and is offering them the tech for free. They could hybridize their whole lineup and nobody would know the difference outside of the ~30-40% better gas mileage. Instead now they have to do the whole "please make help us pacify your clueless bureaucrats" song and dance. This makes absolutely no sense to me
      That was clearly covered in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by article
      Let’s start with the basics. Mazda has calculated the optimal battery size is 35.5 kilowatt-hours. Now, that may seem an awfully precise and, more importantly, small rating for an EV’s battery, but thanks to some efficiencies it was unwilling to volunteer at this juncture – the final spec of the company’s first electric car won’t be released until this year’s Tokyo Motor Show – that’s good enough for around 200 kilometres of inner-city driving.

Why not go for a Tesla-like 500 kilometres of range, you ask? After all, that’s the main battlefield these days for electric vehicle supremacy, automakers competing to cram as many lithium-ions into their increasingly expensive EVs that they might alleviate our range anxieties.

Well, there are two reasons. The first – and this has been proclaimed by every EV-maker from Tesla to Toyota, not to mention pretty much every amateur commenter on Motor Mouth – people seldom use anywhere near the required 100 kWh needed to guarantee 500 clicks of autonomy. And fewer kilowatt-hours means less weight, reduced cost and dramatically better handling in any EV.

According to the projections I have seen, the break-even point – more accurately, the size of battery beyond which there is very little benefit in CO2 reduction – is somewhere between 30 and 40 kWh, pretty much in line with Mazda’s determination.
      You'll note that this is exactly what I was saying in another thread where you were touting hybrids over EREVs. This one is slicker than its forebears, being able to run on hydrogen* or gasoline, but it's still the way for so many people without compromises. Forget to plug it in and drive to work anyway. Not that this happens much, but if you make it home without enough gas to get to the station you just plug it in.

*Not that I care about the hydrogen part. I'd be running on batteries 99% of the time anyway.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

22. Member
      Cars
      10-21-2019 08:01 PM #21
      Just don't try running out the suicide doors.
      Not even suicide doors can improve it's so so looks. Gotta feel sorry for today's car buyers stuck in a world of these half ass things.

23. Member
      Cars
      10-21-2019 08:04 PM #22
      First leak of CX-30 image. I guess mazda wanted to introduce some RX-8 into the design. A year later we will likely have an assisted EV with a Rotary engine.

https://electrek.co/2019/10/21/mazda...0-first-photo/

A new RX-8 would be nice. A lot nicer than that.

Cars
      2019 Mazda 3
      10-21-2019 08:24 PM #23
      That looks horrible. Hope that's fake

25. Member
      Cars
      10-21-2019 08:38 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      Almost looks good from the front 2/3rd's view. Can't say the same about the rear 2/3rd's view. Perhaps it's better looking than the Bentayga I spotted in the flesh yesterday. Bentley/VW sure isn't trying to sell you on its exterior.
      I saw Bentayga on the road 2 months ago. It did nothing to impress me from the outside. Of course the interior is stunning, I'd rather skip utility though and opt for the Continental GT.

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      10-21-2019 08:56 PM #25
      The CX-3 should have been this all along. It is too small for most people.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast