VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Strange acceleration sound Golf mk5 gti

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ROH ECHT 
#1 ·
Hi!

Video:

Windows down :https://youtu.be/08ERCHC6F_A
Windows up: https://youtu.be/cUn9vu7fbxI

My Gti has stared to make the high pitch noise you can hear in the videos. Its only when reaching boost. I can't seen to find any obvious leaks between the inlet and turbo. Does anyone have an idea where the sound is coming from.

I appreciate all the help i can get 😊

#2 ·
OK, was this just a recent development or was a new intake installed? There are quite a few threads on numerous forums regarding this and no one has posted an answer. Commonly known to appear after installing a new intake or having removed something and reattaching it. What work, if any, was done just prior to the noise's appearance? I know of a couple times people said they found a clamp was over-tightened and destroyed a hose that connected to pipe. Or, others finding cracks in their PCV or intake manifold. So, there are likely a good number of possibilities...and you either find it when visually inspecting it, or you do a smoke test.

#3 · (Edited)
I made a hard acceleration and when manually changing gears with the dsg from 2nd to 3rd there where three loud backfires and a cloud of smoke behind the car. The car only ran on 3 cylinder afterwards until I changed the spark plugs. It was after the backfires that the high pitch noise started. There are no obvious leaks and the o rings in the boost pipes are looking good.

I have not done a smoke och pressure test but if can't find anything obvious by myself I will probably end up handing it over to a mechanic.

#4 ·
OK...sounds like there may have been a crankcase ventilation issue when all of that occured...or a boost pressure release issue upon the off throttle moment you relayed. Given you cannot see anything...I recommend smoke testing it thoroughly. Smoke needs to cycle through the intake into the intake manifold. If nothing is discovered there...then look at the turbo and down-pipe for cracks and the exhaust and intake connections to it. You could reverse the order of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.