Fourtitude.com - Scan tool O2 sensor B1 S1 voltage readings? What's normal.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 08-15-2019 04:12 PM #1
      I just recently purchased a scan tool, the generic type that is supposed to work with all OBD-II compliant vehicles,*to read the various 'live data' streams from my2010 Jetta with the 2.5 engine* When I check out the rear oxygen sensor (B1 S2) it reads in the normal .01 to 1.00 volt range.* However when I select the front oxygen sensor (B1 S1) it comes up showing mili-volts for that one.* Does anyone know if this is normal, and if it is, what would be the expected readings for the front sensor?* Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Gen VI VW
      08-16-2019 05:25 PM #2
      the expected range in closed loop is 0.1v to 0.9v can also be written as 100mv to 900mv. See if that clears things up a bit.

4. 08-18-2019 09:05 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod0525 View Post
      the expected range in closed loop is 0.1v to 0.9v can also be written as 100mv to 900mv. See if that clears things up a bit.
      Thank you. I have since discovered that the B1 S1 sensor on a lot of vehicles today are Air/Fuel Sensors and they are different in how they behave vs. the traditional B1 S2 sensor. The rear sensor, S2, reports voltage in the manner you described. The front sensor, S1, can report in several different ways depending on the manufacturer. In the case of VW they report in miiiamps where 0 indicates a short of some kind. In order to completely diagnose the proper behavior of the front sensor short term fuel trim has to be monitored as well.