Fourtitude.com - Motortrend Alfa Giulia Long Term Review Wrapup
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. 08-14-2019 05:41 PM #1
      After nearly 22,000 miles, Motortrend wrapped up the review of their Giulia.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa...review-verdict

Some people worry the machines will rise up against us when they become self-aware, but I reckon they'll all be too self-conscious to try it. If my long-term 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia heard half the mean things folks said about it, it would never leave the garage. That would be a crying shame, because like all stereotypes, those nasty generalizations aren't really true. The Alfa's a great car, no matter what the internet says.

Faced with a decision between a technological marvel and a car that inspires you to drive, we took inspiration. Every time I mindlessly caressed the big, metal shift paddles, every time I turned the knob to Dynamic mode, every time I whipped around a freeway cloverleaf and dreamed about skipping work and going for a drive in the mountains instead, I remembered why cars like this win awards.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      15 Rav4
      08-14-2019 05:59 PM #2
      A glowing review by MT secures the Alfa's resale value!
      I reject geometry.

4. Member
      Cars
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      08-14-2019 06:09 PM #3
      To make a leasing special that last around 4 years should not be a difficult task nowadays, even BMW and Mercedes can do it well...
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      08-14-2019 06:11 PM #4
      This nose is hideous.

It will follow the same path as the ATS. Another "great" idea that nobody buys.

6. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      08-14-2019 06:33 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      This nose is hideous.

Eh, my brother bought a Giulia Quattroformaggi a few months ago and has loved it. If I had to replace my A6 right now it would probably be this car as well just in normal spec like the car in MT just in red w/brown interior. I don't think Alfa intends to beat ze Germans out of the gate, but use this car to re-establish the brand in the US. Also I imagine the Stelvio is stealing a lot of Giulia sales right now per the general SUV craze.
      Last edited by chucchinchilla; 08-14-2019 at 06:56 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

7. 08-14-2019 07:18 PM #6
      This car really shines in a way that so many so called sports sedans today miss the mark. It makes a physical connection with the driver in a way that very few can today at any price.

8. 08-14-2019 07:26 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by AC1DD View Post
      This car really shines in a way that so many so called sports sedans today miss the mark. It makes a physical connection with the driver in a way that very few can today at any price.
      ...with an automatic transmission.
      Quote Originally Posted by seanmcd72
      You are like the new Nightshift1983 of this forum dude. Just keep your fingers off the keyboard unless you have something valuable to say

9. 08-14-2019 07:34 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
      ...with an automatic transmission.
      This car has a manual option in Europe and other countries too. Can you imagine how near perfection it would be with the proper manual?
      It's still a great drive over all though, that's all the more incredible.

That being said it's a big car in my view and that makes it more suitable for an automatic. I'm really focused on the manual for compact and subcompact models.

10. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      08-14-2019 07:46 PM #9
      This car has a manual option in Europe and other countries too. Can you imagine how near perfection it would be with the proper manual?
      It's still a great drive over all though, that's all the more incredible.

That being said it's a big car in my view and that makes it more suitable for an automatic. I'm really focused on the manual for compact and subcompact models.
      Wow, another thing you know knowing about.
      It is a compact car...
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

11. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      08-14-2019 08:25 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      This nose is hideous.

You're not wrong in that this will eventually fail. But I have to give FCA credit for doing a much better job than GM. This looks & drives better than an ATS. There's a case for ownership here in a way that there wasn't with the ATS

12. 08-14-2019 09:03 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Wow, another thing you know knowing about.
      It is a compact car...
      Wrong. It's considered a "D Class" car in Europe, which they call "Mid Size" but today in my book that makes it a
      "big car" .

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      08-14-2019 09:08 PM #12
      Wrong. It's considered a "D Class" car in Europe, which they call "Mid Size" but today in my book that makes it a
      "big car" .
      as much as i agree with you, a midsize car in Europe is a compact in North America...which makes no sense at all. The Giulia is a midsize, but here we call it a compact because you can't play football on the rear seat. Canadians follow the American standard because we can't play hocket on the back seat.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      08-14-2019 09:17 PM #13
      Car and Driver’s long term Giulia was pretty terrible. 13 trips to the dealer in 30k miles. EIGHTY DAYS out of service.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...bility-update/

They loved driving it when they actually could though.

15. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      08-14-2019 09:25 PM #14
      "big car" .
      Wrong.
      It is considered a compact*executive*car in the North America. Which is where you live golfy. So just give it up and go away. Or we will just keep reporting you.
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

16. Member
      Cars
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      08-14-2019 09:27 PM #15
      Wrong.
      It is considered a compact*executive*car in the North America. Which is where you live golfy. So just give it up and go away. Or we will just keep reporting you.
      "Compacts" are bloody huge these days. Have the EPA classifications even grown as much as the advertising claims? IIRC many so-called compact sedans today are EPA midsizers. See: Civic, Elantra, etc.

17. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      08-14-2019 09:35 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      "Compacts" are bloody huge these days. Have the EPA classifications even grown as much as the advertising claims? IIRC many so-called compact sedans today are EPA midsizers. See: Civic, Elantra, etc.
      Not arguing that they have grown. Just countering a trolls comments with facts.

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      08-14-2019 09:36 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      yeah. you look at a 1994 Honda Accord (midsize) or 1992 Taurus (fullsize) and god damn they're smaller than today's conpacts.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

19. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      08-14-2019 09:41 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      yeah. you look at a 1994 Honda Accord (midsize) or 1992 Taurus (fullsize) and god damn they're smaller than today's conpacts.
      That is what happens when you make them safer.
      And appease the masses who buy them...

20. 08-14-2019 09:42 PM #19
      Wrong.
      The place of origin is where the car was primarily designed for Europe the Giulia is definitely considered a D Class passenger car.

I'm following the forum rules, are you?

21. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      08-14-2019 09:42 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Car and Driver’s long term Giulia was pretty terrible. 13 trips to the dealer in 30k miles. EIGHTY DAYS out of service.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...bility-update/

They loved driving it when they actually could though.
      Big difference here being that's the high performance QF while Motor Trend has been long term testing the 4 banger Ti model.

22. 08-14-2019 09:44 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Big difference here being that's the high performance QF while Motor Trend has been long term testing the 4 banger Ti model.

I recall in one review that they preferred the lesser model with the 4 cylinder because the nose of the car was lighter and that made the handling even better? Do you remember hearing this anywhere? The 4 cyl with stick grabs my attention the most.

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      08-14-2019 09:45 PM #22
      Not bad. But it won't increase sales.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

24. Member
      Cars
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      08-14-2019 09:48 PM #23
      Not arguing that they have grown. Just countering a trolls comments with facts.
      Fact: The Giulia is a mid-size according to the current EPA classification system.

They can advertise it as compact all they want, it's not compact. Everything smaller than an F150 is not compact.

Edit:

More facts - According to the NHTSA, the Giulia is not compact but either medium or heavy depending on trim. Compact is <3000 lbs.

According to the IIHS, the Giulia is also either a midsize or a large car depending on whether it is over 3500 lbs.

It is not compact.
      Last edited by troyguitar; 08-14-2019 at 09:59 PM.

25. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      08-14-2019 09:53 PM #24
      I recall in one review that they preferred the lesser model with the 4 cylinder because the nose of the car was lighter and that made the handling even better? Do you remember hearing this anywhere? The 4 cyl with stick grabs my attention the most.
      I don't remember the review but the same has been said about a lot of cars with base engines like the Porsche 912 vs 911. Sure it's slightly slower (Giulia regular is only 1.5 sec slower than QF) but you get a cheaper to maintain, insure, fuel, etc. car but practically all the rest and yes a slightly lighter front end. Sounds good to me.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      08-14-2019 10:09 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I don't remember the review but the same has been said about a lot of cars with base engines like the Porsche 912 vs 911. Sure it's slightly slower (Giulia regular is only 1.5 sec slower than QF) but you get a cheaper to maintain, insure, fuel, etc. car but practically all the rest and yes a slightly lighter front end. Sounds good to me.
      Biggest problem for the lesser model is the non-defeatable traction/stability control. That and the lack of a manual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast