VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Who owns your cars configuration?

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  ghost03 
#1 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wcJK9-BM8I

I was laughing pretty hard watching this video...but he brings up some serious and interesting points...specifically who owns your cars configuration?

In this case Tesla downgraded battery output to supposedly extend battery life, but allegedly it was really to reduce their liability.

So when we purchase a vehicle are we really guaranteed the parameters that were in place when we took delivery will remain that way? For how long? It's obviously not just Tesla pulling this maneuver...recently FCA made a change to the ecodiesel that has owners in a rage...and I think it's been going on for quite a while by all manufacturers. If they sense they have a problem, just back off the horsepower or whatever the parameter may be. Should there be consumer protection put in place to stop this kind of "update-downgrades" or is it better to reduce power if it reduces fires etc.?

#3 ·
I wonder if it has to just be limited to something they advertise? For example most of us make a choice based largely on how they drive. If a change is made that dramatically changes driveability, that's something to consider too.

Also...what are insurance companies going to think about after-the-fact changes to vehicle parameters? They pay hundreds of actuaries to study statistics which now could be rendered useless if the car manufacturers make changes to a vehicle on the fly, especially to a parameter that could affect their liability or exposure to a lawsuit.

#5 ·
I hadn't heard of that one...are they doing it by limiting RPM or fuel etc? Is it temporary?

Maybe I'm just old and cynical, but I could see the manufacturers loving the ability to monitor and change parameters on the fly...for example what if they could monitor wear on a warranty part and make adjustments to ensure it makes it past the warranty period?

#12 ·
This has happened a lot before and the lawsuits have won... Honda was sued. Honda settled.
The problem with this approach is the courts are very slow to dispense justice and it's expensive to come by. It's the litigating attorneys and not the consumers who get the best deal. In fact, customers are never really made "whole" whatever that means. Meanwhile, time marches on and very little changes. Every decision is a business decision and a highly cynical one at that. Blame competition or greed or the public or the system. But it is what it is.

#11 ·
So when we purchase a vehicle are we really guaranteed the parameters that were in place when we took delivery will remain that way?
Of course not! The only guarantees in life are death and taxes. Cars are basically rolling computers. As such, look at who controls the operating system on your smart phone. Hint: it ain't you. The car is just a vessel for the software. You either agree to the terms of service or you don't. Either way you pay. Ultimately, this whole discussion boils down to opportunity costs.

#15 ·
Thinking a little more on this, once you buy the car it’s yours—you own it. So if a manufacture does an over-the-air change without your permission, is this not trespassing on private property? The “subject to change” wording in brochures is only up until the point of sale. Once you own it, how can they essentially invade your privacy and change it without your permission? At a minimum you should be able to ask ahead of time exactly what is being changed and have it reversed if you’re not happy with it. If they screwed something up and then realize they can slide the fix in with an “upgrade” it’s still a trespass isn’t it, if they don’t ask your permission and disclose exactly what they are doing and the effects? If you say no, they need to figure out another way to compensate you...

#23 ·

I was laughing pretty hard watching this video...but he brings up some serious and interesting points...specifically who owns your cars configuration?

In this case Tesla downgraded battery output to supposedly extend battery life, but allegedly it was really to reduce their liability.

So when we purchase a vehicle are we really guaranteed the parameters that were in place when we took delivery will remain that way? For how long? It's obviously not just Tesla pulling this maneuver...recently FCA made a change to the ecodiesel that has owners in a rage...and I think it's been going on for quite a while by all manufacturers. If they sense they have a problem, just back off the horsepower or whatever the parameter may be. Should there be consumer protection put in place to stop this kind of "update-downgrades" or is it better to reduce power if it reduces fires etc.?
:thumbup:

#24 ·
We bought our Cayenne diesel well-used and post-dieselgate, but the previous owner went through it and told me about it. Basically they had to take it in twice--first for software, second for hardware and software once it was ready. Supposedly it drove almost the same but now holds gears longer when cold, unlocks the torque converter more under hard acceleration, and gets ~33mpg where it used to get 35mpg. I assume it also drinks more DEF but they had it dealer maintained so no way to verify. Overall minor stuff, some of which could just be attributed to aging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.