Fourtitude.com - Darwin seeking fresh souls in Raleigh, North Carolina... riding in the back of pickup...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Hybrid View

Cars
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
      08-13-2019 05:02 PM #1
      I just can't... while it's not illegal to ride in the back of a truck in NC, this seems downright idiotic. I'd almost say "whatever, do your thing" if they were further down in the bed -- but they're nearly level with the top side of the bed

Anyway, pic is from a local WRAL reporter that posted on Facebook. Looks to be I-40 West between exit 291 and exit 289.

https://www.facebook.com/MonicaLalib...7977256242781/
      Last edited by Mazda 3s; 08-13-2019 at 05:28 PM.
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

2. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      08-13-2019 05:26 PM #2
      Having ridden in the box of pickups and Gators years back on my Grandpa's farm at slow speeds, I clicked this thread expecting to say 'meh.'

Newp, lounging up high, middle lane on the interstate, with no apparent awareness. Darwin reference definitely checks out.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      08-13-2019 05:29 PM #3
      This is why everyone needs to take and pass a basic physics class before getting a driver's license.

4. 08-13-2019 07:16 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      This is why everyone needs to take and pass a basic physics class before getting a driver's license.

5. 08-13-2019 08:44 PM #5
      Geometry, too. Come on, people, by now you SHOULD know how two side by side left turn lanes work, right? You don't get in the leftmost lane and then want to turn right immediately after the intersection...
      Quote Originally Posted by seanmcd72
      You are like the new Nightshift1983 of this forum dude. Just keep your fingers off the keyboard unless you have something valuable to say

6. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      08-13-2019 09:31 PM #6
      One good bump away from making some nice skin jackets on the highway.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      08-13-2019 09:45 PM #7
      That's taking things to a whole new level.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

8. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      08-14-2019 11:16 AM #8
      or an IQ test

9. 08-13-2019 05:39 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Having ridden in the box of pickups and Gators years back on my Grandpa's farm at slow speeds, I clicked this thread expecting to say 'meh.'

Newp, lounging up high, middle lane on the interstate, with no apparent awareness. Darwin reference definitely checks out.

See, you get it. If you're on a back country road going 30 or 40 mph or less no real problem, sure you could fall out on a bump but the chances weren't great and it you did there probably wasn't another car guaranteed to run over you from behind.

These two are....stupid.

10. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      08-13-2019 05:33 PM #10
      If someone did this and fell off causing me to run them over I would sue all of the survivors for pain and suffering and whatever else a lawyer could get to stick. If needed go after their families.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

08-13-2019 05:38 PM #11
      But is it honestly any more dangerous than riding a motorcycle with no helmet? At least this truck can run over road debris that would wipe out a motorbike. Seriously: if motorcycles are legal, especially without any helmet or riding gear requirements, there's no reason to restrict this either as I doubt it's any less safe.

12. Member
      08-13-2019 07:24 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      But is it honestly any more dangerous than riding a motorcycle with no helmet? At least this truck can run over road debris that would wipe out a motorbike. Seriously: if motorcycles are legal, especially without any helmet or riding gear requirements, there's no reason to restrict this either as I doubt it's any less safe.
      I mean, if you want to SLEEP on a motorcycle. Jesus, there is zero comparison to this, driving a motorcycle and being in control of your environment is waaaay more different than sleeping on matresses in the back of a truck. Come on now....
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      08-13-2019 07:25 PM #13
      I've never seen this in Florida on the highway. Florida needs to step up its game.

14. 08-13-2019 07:59 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I've never seen this in Florida on the highway. Florida needs to step up its game.
      Florida, April, Wedding, bed of a truck

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barst...dneck-mud-park

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      08-13-2019 08:03 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Florida, April, Wedding, bed of a truck

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barst...dneck-mud-park
      But that was not moving at 65 mph on the highway. I've seen people riding in truck beds here. Usually construction workers in regular cab pickups that don't fit inside the truck as some other workers are in the cab. And usually on regular surface roads, not interstate highways.

08-13-2019 08:33 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      You'd have a point if anyone here suggested that riding with no helmet should be legal
      What do you mean "should be legal"? It's already legal to ride with no helmet all over the place. Not every single state, but all over the place. 5000 motorcyclists are killed every year and growing. How many die from sleeping in the back of trucks? From a quick search, it's so few that one police department said it had never happened in their area before.

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news...-legal-mostly/

Despite the safety risks of riding in the back of a truck, area accidents that relate to riding in the bed of a truck are uncommon, according to North Carolina Highway Patrol

“In the foreseeable past, here in New Hanover and Brunswick County we really haven’t any serious injuries or deaths related to that,” First Sgt. M.W. King said.
      I'm not saying it's a good idea, but why pretend to care about something that doesn't even kill people while 5000 a year die on motorcycles?

17. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      08-13-2019 07:31 PM #17
      You'd have a point if anyone here suggested that riding with no helmet should be legal

It's possible for both to be stupid... and completely unrelated

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      08-14-2019 10:59 AM #18
      But is it honestly any more dangerous than riding a motorcycle with no helmet?
      Can we make bets on how good that truck's shocks are?

While I agree that there are bigger fish to fry, laying on a mattress in a truck just waiting to be catapulted out isn't the same as gripping a motorbike between your thighs.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 200k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 115k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      08-13-2019 08:40 PM #19
      no one should care, really. i mean unless their body parts damage someone's car, or something of the sort.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

20. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      08-14-2019 10:50 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      i mean unless their body parts damage someone's car, or something of the sort.
      Yeah this is valid here. I mean, if that was just a regular un-secured load I'd be mad. But even if they don't care about their own well-being, they could be an unsecured load and a major source of emotional trauma for someone. Nobody wants to hit someone with their car even if it's not their fault.

Cars
      62'ghia,75'rocco,80'caddy,81'rocco,84'rabbit gti w/callaway stg2,87' 8v rocco,87' 16v rocco,03' gti
      08-14-2019 11:03 AM #21
      I have seen things blow out of a truck bed. I have never seen anything get ejected out of a truck bed just going down the freeway. How bad is everyone's highways man? I live in Ohio and they suck and I haven't seen that. Getting in an accident is a whole other issue though. So is getting struck by lighting, or someone not paying attention and pulling out in front of a motorcycle. Life a a calculated risk. Don't hurt anyone else and take your chances as you see fit.

22. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      08-14-2019 11:14 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by hasnfefr View Post
      I have seen things blow out of a truck bed. I have never seen anything get ejected out of a truck bed just going down the freeway. How bad is everyone's highways man? I live in Ohio and they suck and I haven't seen that. Getting in an accident is a whole other issue though. So is getting struck by lighting, or someone not paying attention and pulling out in front of a motorcycle. Life a a calculated risk. Don't hurt anyone else and take your chances as you see fit.
      It's not that uncommon to have to slam on the brakes and even swerve sometimes when traffic gets crazy.
      Yes life is dangerous.
      But there is a decided line you cross when you sunbathe in the bed of moving truck on the highway.
      Lightning is dangerous and can strike anywhere, but that doesn't mean you aren't a total morAn for running around on a hill holding a Lightning Rod during a storm.

23. Member
      Cars
      2019 VW Arteon SEL Prem R-line
      08-14-2019 11:45 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by hasnfefr View Post
      Come to Florida if you want to find some of the largest and most diverse road debris in the world. Things come out of the back of pickup trucks daily here, and I've encountered all kinds of stuff on Florida highways, as large as LaZBoy chairs and king matresses to small and deadly hand and power tools. Pool floats, manufactured home parts, roof tiles, truck tires, 5-foot palm fronds, 2x4s, PVC plumbing pipe, rebar, trash bags filled with things of varying hardness and randomness, broken bits of cinder blocks. Some parts of Florida's highways, especially down in the Dade county region, can be like slalom courses.

And yeah, Florida has pickup bed riders on highways too:
      https://www.wkrg.com/northwest-flori...ed-hit-by-car/

Though only a 1/2 point to Florida, since they originated from Alabama.
      _____
      Justin