Fourtitude.com - What's the deal with roof racks?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      08-13-2019 11:57 AM #26
      That will be the day I ever need a roof rack with my car that has enough space to transport a bike standing on 2 wheels. They are good for Buick commercials though.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      Current - '16 Silverado, Sold - '06 Goat
      08-13-2019 11:59 AM #27
      I hated my old Thule. Wind noise, loss of MPGs, and damn near lost my bike on the Interstate from a small bump. Couldn’t get rid of it soon enough. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was after what I spent on that thing. Hitch mount is the way to go if possible.

I get a kick out of the people driving to the beach in a small CUV with a loaded cargo box next to kayaks and a hitch mounted bike rack with like 6 bikes. Efficiency! Just get a more accommodating vehicle.

4. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      08-13-2019 12:01 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by El Ex View Post
      I hated my old Thule. Wind noise, loss of MPGs, and damn near lost my bike on the Interstate from a small bump. Couldn’t get rid of it soon enough. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was after what I spent on that thing. Hitch mount is the way to go if possible.

I get a kick out of the people driving to the beach in a small CUV with a loaded cargo box next to kayaks and a hitch mounted bike rack with like 6 bikes. Efficiency! Just get a more accommodating vehicle.
      Right, and be inefficient the other 6 days out of the week. Derp
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

5. Member
      Cars
      Out of Warranty BMWs
      08-13-2019 12:10 PM #29
      My wagon has low profile rails on which to mount bars. When I put a ski rack or box on it (rarely) the bars go on. When the rack/box comes off, so do the bars.

Cars
      2008 VW Passat 3.6l 4motion
      08-13-2019 12:15 PM #30
      Three of my cars have roof racks because they already had racks when I got the cars, I don't use them though.
      2008 Passat VR6 3.6 4Motion Wagon, 2010 MINI Cooper S, Dnepr MT-16 motorcycle

7. Member
      Cars
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      08-13-2019 12:37 PM #31

But then we'll have a thread on here about some idiot with a crew cab pickup that they don't need and how they should've bought a small CUV with a loaded cargo box next to kayaks and a hitch mounted bike rack with like 6 bikes.

8. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      08-13-2019 12:47 PM #32
      I used my rack daily:

It's the passenger seat that I rarely ever used:

* My contributions are not representative of American Honda

9. Member
      Cars
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 05 Lexus GX470, 79 IH Scout II
      08-13-2019 12:53 PM #33
      This is going to trigger a lot of you:

Wife's 4Runner with Gobi rack and Thule cargo box. Rack is always on, cargo box goes on when we go out of town.

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      08-13-2019 01:02 PM #34

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Right, and be inefficient the other 6 days out of the week. Derp
      This. They may only need a rack a few times a year and put it on, and run bareback the rest of the year. The CUV may meet 95% of their vehicle needs, so they actually are making an informed decision. You don't know.

I run a rack a few times a year, typically with a basket for camping or picking up larger home stuff at HD or Lowe's. I only put it on when I need it, though, I think it's too noisy to deal with every day, and with KidL out of a car seat, there isn't one in the way to fold the seat down and toss the bike in the back.

Mrs. DonL never put the crossbars on her Outback, and never put the rack on her Impreza. Never needed it. They're still in the garage in the factory packaging from when they came with the car.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      08-13-2019 01:12 PM #35
      Actually, now that I think about it, my wife has mentioned she wishes she got the roof rack, running boards, etc, on her RDX because "it would look less boring like all the other gray SUVs." I then point out what would be even less boring would be to not buy a grey SUV, but that just gets me an elbow in the ribs.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      07 GTI : 18 Atlas
      08-13-2019 01:15 PM #36
      I use mine at Xmas for a tree and then with a box when going on a road trip. Net, use the rails 2-3x per year, and I do take them off in between due to MPG hit and increased wind noise.

However, I've recently debated becoming one of THOSE people who leave them on all the time, because I think they make my Atlas look bada$$.

Cars
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      08-13-2019 01:15 PM #37
      We had the Lexus packed to the gills on our way back from LA last month. While the Pilot would have been more spacious, driving in LA in the smaller cuv was immensely easier and then doubled the mileage along the way.

14. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      08-13-2019 01:18 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
      I get it, if you use them. However, I see a ton of people buying roof racks just for the look. Why? Personally, I am all for function over form. Unfortunately, I don't see the point of adding a roof rack if you don't/won't ever use it--or you'll use it two or three times per year. Why not just take it off?
      Because it's a free country?

15. Member
      Cars
      Current - '16 Silverado, Sold - '06 Goat
      08-13-2019 01:26 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      This. They may only need a rack a few times a year and put it on, and run bareback the rest of the year. The CUV may meet 95% of their vehicle needs, so they actually are making an informed decision. You don't know.

I run a rack a few times a year, typically with a basket for camping or picking up larger home stuff at HD or Lowe's. I only put it on when I need it, though, I think it's too noisy to deal with every day, and with KidL out of a car seat, there isn't one in the way to fold the seat down and toss the bike in the back.

Mrs. DonL never put the crossbars on her Outback, and never put the rack on her Impreza. Never needed it. They're still in the garage in the factory packaging from when they came with the car.

For most people a small vehicle and racks DO make more sense. I was loosely poking fun at the guy I saw this weekend. He had the racks over capacity and the inside of his CUV crammed so full of stuff the rear suspension was bottomed out and could barely see out to make safe lane changes.

Those are the kind of people I can’t stand. They’ll buy a small vehicle and put so much crap on and in it thinking they’re being efficient. It’s not. There’s plenty of people that do this multiple times per year.
      Last edited by El Ex; 08-13-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Cars
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 1991 Miata, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      08-13-2019 01:33 PM #40
      I used to just like the look of bike racks and a faring:

But then necessity set it:

And then so did overkill:

Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      08-13-2019 01:35 PM #41
      The Crossbars stay on permanently, but are completely innocuous. The Box goes on about once a month.

I do kinda hate that you can't put anything else onto it like normal overhanging bars, but it's nice that they're quiet when there's nothing up there.

The Rex rack goes on only when I need it. It's damn loud.

I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 200k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 115k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Cars
      392+485=LOL
      08-13-2019 01:45 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Because it's a free country?
      Thank you.

ITT: Buncha judgey people who can't imagine a rationale for something beyond their own personal experience. My wife's vehicle is a BOF SUV w/ 4WD and roof rails. In the year we've had it, we've had it offroad zero times, used the roof rack once to schlep home a Christmas tree, and give zero effs re mileage with the crossbars left on. So why do we have such a vehicle? Because reasons. Actually, very specific and logical reasons.

...that I'm not going to share because 1), I don't have to, and 2) because it will drive some of you nuts.
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      08-13-2019 01:53 PM #43
      Do you expect me to leave my Tepui roof top tent at home the 364 days that I'm not using it?

Seriously though, some of those cross bars for bikes, cargo boxes, etc are a PITA to install and remove, and for some it also means storing it somewhere that may not be so convenient for them (e.g. they don't have a garage). So even if they use it once or twice a month, it just makes sense.

Also keep in mind that for some of the folks, installing it isn't something they do on their own. As simple as it is, it may intimidating for them, and thankfully for the rest of sharing the road with them, they have someone more capable install it for them. That makes it very inconvenient to take on and off repeatedly.

Cars
      mk4 futura 1.8T GTI, mk6 CW GTI, awd outlander sport
      08-13-2019 01:54 PM #44
      on VWs... because mad vape bro scene points bro

on everything else.... because they're useful at carrying stuff.
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      08-13-2019 02:03 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
      I get it, if you use them. However, I see a ton of people buying roof racks just for the look. Why? Personally, I am all for function over form. Unfortunately, I don't see the point of adding a roof rack if you don't/won't ever use it--or you'll use it two or three times per year. Why not just take it off?
      How do you know they aren't going to use it tomorrow, or just used it yesterday. Maybe the use it every once a month or every weekend and grew tired of removing it every time night to please you.

Cars
      91 318iS, 03 Forester
      08-13-2019 02:19 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      How do you know they aren't going to use it tomorrow, or just used it yesterday. Maybe the use it every once a month or every weekend and grew tired of removing it every time night to please you.
      This. Most of the time there is nothing on my roof...but sometimes I don't feel like cramming a big ass mountain bike or my BMX into the pristine back seat of my e30.

I find my hitch rack on my daily to be far more useful, but in the way constantly.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      03 Forester

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      08-13-2019 02:35 PM #47
      trigger!!

GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      08-13-2019 02:40 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      trigger!!
      is that the 2019 version of "h8ers gonna h8"?
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Cars
      JCW Mini Cooper, 2018 Tiguan
      08-13-2019 02:41 PM #49
      What about 2 sets of cross-bars???? saw this gem the other weekend.... obviously he was just doing it for looks....
      /| OMGHAI |\

Cars
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      08-13-2019 02:44 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      is that the 2019 version of "h8ers gonna h8"?
      I guess so! lol
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast