Fourtitude.com - What's the deal with roof racks?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 88
    1. Member TheTimob's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2003
      Location
      Colorado Springs
      Posts
      18,408
      Cars
      85 Scirocco
      08-13-2019 02:51 PM #51
      I have a rack. Someone gave it to me for free.

      I don't have a garage. I have nowhere to keep the rack... except the top of the car!

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      11,695
      Cars
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      08-13-2019 02:53 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by ohiodub_99.5 View Post
      What about 2 sets of cross-bars???? saw this gem the other weekend.... obviously he was just doing it for looks....
      Alabama.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 23rd, 2013
      Location
      Westchester Co, NY
      Posts
      332
      Cars
      2019 Golf R
      08-13-2019 03:14 PM #53
      Holy ****. I came back a few hours later and we're three pages deep.

      I guess I should have clarified: what's the deal with roof racks added to cars that don't have factory rails? For instance, I had a TrailBlazer a long time ago and that had factory rails and cross bars. I left it alone, because it came that way. However, my MK7.5 R doesn't have rails and I'd never add them just for the look. They look goofy (subjective, of course) when not in use and just mounted to the car for no reason. As I said, having them mounted and using them is one thing. Buying them just for the look and never using them is what I'm talking about.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 23rd, 2013
      Location
      Westchester Co, NY
      Posts
      332
      Cars
      2019 Golf R
      08-13-2019 03:18 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      How do you know this?
      I see that you're trying to be technical and all that, and I get your point. But when you see the same BMWs, Minis, and VWs driving around town for years with rails, but never anything on top, I think it's a fair assumption to know it's mainly for the look. Of course I could be wrong, but I know I've seen my fair share of photos of "stanced" cars with roof racks that look like they've never seen a single kayak, bike, snowboard, etc. To those people, are who I am asking the question to. And it's perfectly cool with me if their subjective opinion is different than mine. I don't give a ****. I was merely asking the question; "why?" If the answer is, "because it's a free country," like some dip**** said upthread, that's cool. I'm not hating. I'm just wondering.
      Last edited by idriveastick; 08-13-2019 at 03:25 PM.

    6. Senior Member UncleJB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2002
      Location
      NH Lakes Region
      Posts
      21,622
      Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      08-13-2019 03:28 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
      Guess I need to buy a roof rack to show everyone how "active" and outdoorsy I am .

      I had a QSW and took the cross bars off so it wasn't as noisy. Kept them in the back, just in case.
      Hopefully in the factory bar holder?

    7. Senior Member UncleJB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2002
      Location
      NH Lakes Region
      Posts
      21,622
      Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      08-13-2019 03:32 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
      I get it, if you use them. However, I see a ton of people buying roof racks just for the look. Why? Personally, I am all for function over form. Unfortunately, I don't see the point of adding a roof rack if you don't/won't ever use it--or you'll use it two or three times per year. Why not just take it off?

      ETA: specifically, I'm talking about cars that don't have factory rails. I'm talking about the Thule (or other brand) ones that you buy completely separate and mount them to the roof. Not just adding cross bars to factory rails.
      I keep my crossbars on year round and keep straps in the trunk.

      Reason #1 - finding cheap/free **** and needing to get it home. I have found a free canoe, two free 12' transom windows, a bar at a yardsale for $10, couch & loveseat cheap, etc.

      Reason #2 - On extended work trips I sometimes need the space from my roof box so I can easily mount that and load up. Having to space out the bars each time and then mount the box would be time consuming.

      So - probably 325 days a year I have crossbars on with no attachments or load. It has nothing to do with the look in fact I like the look better without.

    8. Member Surf Green's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Location
      Silver Spring, GerryMarylandering
      Posts
      14,119
      Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      08-13-2019 03:38 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
      I guess I should have clarified: what's the deal with roof racks added to cars that don't have factory rails?
      Those are typically way harder to install/take off than ones that clamp to factory rails. The only time I ever took mine off the GTI was when I was going to the track.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 200k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 115k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

      Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 23rd, 2013
      Location
      Westchester Co, NY
      Posts
      332
      Cars
      2019 Golf R
      08-13-2019 03:45 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      Those are typically way harder to install/take off than ones that clamp to factory rails. The only time I ever took mine off the GTI was when I was going to the track.
      Really? I have never had an issue. I've helped two friends install theirs on two different cars, and I had a roof rack for my E36 way back in the day that I used once to move some lumber. They seemed quite easy. Maybe I got lucky 3/3 times.

    10. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Not in Europe. Boo.
      Posts
      21,884
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      08-13-2019 03:47 PM #59
      I had a roof rack on my Scirocco for years without ever using it once. Deal with it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

    11. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      31,333
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      08-13-2019 04:07 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Deal with it.
      I will not.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

    12. Member Jimmy Russells's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      15,883
      Cars
      RS3, JKU
      08-13-2019 04:19 PM #61
      I file this one up there with Tide pods. If you can take the stuff off the rack, you can take the rack off the roof.

    13. Member kryptonik's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 26th, 2003
      Location
      Salt Lake City, UT
      Posts
      3,770
      Cars
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      08-13-2019 05:07 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
      I see that you're trying to be technical and all that, and I get your point. But when you see the same BMWs, Minis, and VWs driving around town for years with rails, but never anything on top, I think it's a fair assumption to know it's mainly for the look. Of course I could be wrong, but I know I've seen my fair share of photos of "stanced" cars with roof racks that look like they've never seen a single kayak, bike, snowboard, etc. To those people, are who I am asking the question to. And it's perfectly cool with me if their subjective opinion is different than mine. I don't give a ****. I was merely asking the question; "why?" If the answer is, "because it's a free country," like some dip**** said upthread, that's cool. I'm not hating. I'm just wondering.

      I wasn't being technical at all.

      I was more so under the impression you were talking about just normal cars. Using myself as an example, I don't take my factory rails off because that's nuts. I leave the crossbars on because they impact nothing, and I'd rather always have them up there, than have to store them somewhere and remember to put them on whenever I put things on my roof (or have to go get them). And, outside of winter, my bike rack is on the hitch, but I probably only drive to go biking like 2% of the time I'm actually driving, so you're exponentially more likely to see me driving w/o my bike on the rack. And, taking it out is a PITA compared to leaving it in for the season.

      Since you're speaking specifically about show cars, or stanced cars for that matter, it's more than likely for an athletic or aesthetic look. Just like their wheels, super low suspension, and any other mod. You know this. And, if their trunk is full of subs and nitrous, they can also store their backup vape batteries up there.

    14. Senior Member Iroczgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2007
      Location
      Bend, OR
      Posts
      33,130
      Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      08-13-2019 09:52 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      I had a roof rack on my Scirocco for years without ever using it once. Deal with it.


      I should've bought it from you.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 23rd, 2013
      Location
      Westchester Co, NY
      Posts
      332
      Cars
      2019 Golf R
      08-13-2019 11:12 PM #64
      People are really angry that someone dared to ask a question that could warrant subjective answers.

    16. 08-13-2019 11:39 PM #65
      I put mine on to carry stuff, otherwise, they stay off. I don't like the extra wind noise.
      Maybe some people like the wind noise the roof rack makes so they keep them on. :-)

    17. Afraid of boobatars RAVatar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2005
      Location
      Savannah, GA
      Posts
      3,336
      Cars
      '13 Ferrari 458 Italia Size: XS
      08-13-2019 11:50 PM #66
      Because I paid for it and I wanted it there.

      Come at me bro.
      Off Topikstan CSB Thread, First Responder (c) 2013
      IG - the_cama_lens
      OG:SAV912
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist
      The forks I grew up eating with only had 3 prongs. This is probably why I'm so miserable and angry all the time.

    18. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      So many potholes
      Posts
      17,242
      Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      08-14-2019 12:12 AM #67


      we run factory roof bars on the GX with kayak racks. i'd prefer a flat rack like Prinsu, Thule, or others, but pricing is downright crazy on these items.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

    19. Afraid of boobatars RAVatar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2005
      Location
      Savannah, GA
      Posts
      3,336
      Cars
      '13 Ferrari 458 Italia Size: XS
      08-14-2019 12:16 AM #68
      To be fair, like the guy who posted the Mini on page 1, there are times when I would like to carry more than two bags of Chinese takeout.

      That said, I bought the rack and it lasted on the roof "for looks" for one week. I don't have a wind fairing for it so it is QUITE noisy, and it disables the ability to peel back the roof. But the main purpose for me getting it is to also pair it with a small cargo box for which I can load up my photography equipment whenever I go out on shoots, and leaves the hatch open for a small cooler or car wash stuffs.

      We are on the verge of moving to a house that actually has a garage so I will have a place to store said cargo box/rack when it isn't in use.
      Off Topikstan CSB Thread, First Responder (c) 2013
      IG - the_cama_lens
      OG:SAV912
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist
      The forks I grew up eating with only had 3 prongs. This is probably why I'm so miserable and angry all the time.

    20. Senior Member UncleJB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2002
      Location
      NH Lakes Region
      Posts
      21,622
      Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      08-14-2019 06:15 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
      People are really angry that someone dared to ask a question that could warrant subjective answers.
      I don't see anyone getting "really angry". Most topics in TCL warrant subjective answers.

      OTOH you seem really pleased with yourself for thinking you have made people really angry. You aren't breaking any new ground here.

    21. Chili Bigot Seabird's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 8th, 2002
      Location
      Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Posts
      19,151
      Cars
      392+485=LOL
      08-14-2019 07:48 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
      People are really angry that someone dared to ask a question that could warrant subjective answers.
      As JB said, no one is “really angry”, but you posed your question, intentionally or not, in way that put people on the defensive. If the reaction surprised you then consider uograding your communication skills. If you got what you wanted (as JB also suggested) then you’re trolling.
      Last edited by Seabird; 08-14-2019 at 07:57 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

    22. Geriatric Member @McMike's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2002
      Location
      Northern part of the Virginia
      Posts
      35,310
      Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      08-14-2019 07:51 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by ohiodub_99.5 View Post
      cause sometimes i need to carry more than 2 shoeboxes worth of stuff....

      That's adorable


    23. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 23rd, 2013
      Location
      Westchester Co, NY
      Posts
      332
      Cars
      2019 Golf R
      08-14-2019 08:04 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I don't see anyone getting "really angry". Most topics in TCL warrant subjective answers.

      OTOH you seem really pleased with yourself for thinking you have made people really angry. You aren't breaking any new ground here.
      Wait. So there's no evidence that people are "really angry" (yet there are numerous snarky, defensive replies, telling me to get over it, etc) but there is evidence of me being proud of thinking I made people angry? Where? I've posted two or three times in the thread, total. Please show me where I said I was sitting in my chair, laughing that randoms on the internet are angry, or similar. Sounds to me like you are just being defensive for no reason. Keyboard warrior for real.

      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      As JB said, no one is “really angry”, but you posed your question, intentionally or not, in way that put people on the defensive. If the reaction surprised you then consider uograding your communication skills. If you got what you wanted (as JB also suggested) then you’re trolling.
      I'll just leave you two to it. Clearly, you have a lot more experience than I do here. 20k posts means you must have the best communication skills ever. Since we're suggesting things to each other...why don't you get a hobby and use some of your free time being productive, instead of keyboard warrioring on a vw forum?

      Cue the defensive, snarky, "I'm an OG here" replies...


      ...yeah, now I'm trolling.
      Last edited by idriveastick; 08-14-2019 at 08:07 AM.

    24. Member G60ING's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2000
      Location
      Alexandria, VA
      Posts
      15,498
      Cars
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      08-14-2019 08:21 AM #73
      They can mar the roof paint where the feet and faring sit. When I ran mine before repainting the car I had the faring rest on the windshield rubber trim and used painters tape under the feet.




      After repainting the car I refuse to use a rack. I’d rather install a hitch and get a small teardrop trailer.

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 1st, 2010
      Location
      Pennsylvania/British Columbia
      Posts
      1,083
      Cars
      Toyota Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      08-14-2019 08:27 AM #74
      I'm a self-confessed moron who leaves his rooftop basket on my Highlander. I'm just too lazy to take it off as I sprayed some junk on the threads to keep them from rusting and now the knobs are hard to turn. It is so noisy and annoying though. I really need to pull it together and just remove it. Sometimes I use it to move stuff like all this darkroom equipment for my wife. Most of the time it just makes noise and hurts my fuel economy.


    26. Senior Member UncleJB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2002
      Location
      NH Lakes Region
      Posts
      21,622
      Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      08-14-2019 08:30 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
      Wait. So there's no evidence that people are "really angry" (yet there are numerous snarky, defensive replies, telling me to get over it, etc) but there is evidence of me being proud of thinking I made people angry? Where? I've posted two or three times in the thread, total. Please show me where I said I was sitting in my chair, laughing that randoms on the internet are angry, or similar. Sounds to me like you are just being defensive for no reason. Keyboard warrior for real.



      I'll just leave you two to it. Clearly, you have a lot more experience than I do here. 20k posts means you must have the best communication skills ever. Since we're suggesting things to each other...why don't you get a hobby and use some of your free time being productive, instead of keyboard warrioring on a vw forum?

      Cue the defensive, snarky, "I'm an OG here" replies...


      ...yeah, now I'm trolling.
      When the troller gets trolled.

      If you think the replies in this thread are snarky and defensive clearly you haven't spent much time reading in TCL.


    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •