wild horses running around in actual populated places
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2014 Ford Focus ST, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
      08-13-2019 03:47 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Wait what?! wild horses running around in actual populated places where humans can hit them like Deer? I'm a Californian and never have I seen or heard of this before, then again I've never been to NC before so theres that.....
      https://www.outerbanks.com/corolla-wild-horses.html

They actually used to roam free in the more populated areas. People kept hitting them so they rounded them up and put them in a remote portion of the northern beach near the border with Virginia that is only accessible via a 4WD vehicle. They still get hit but are heavily protected. There are tours that shuttle people up the beach in converted H1 hummers just to see them.

4. Senior Member
      08-13-2019 03:49 PM #28
      Wait what?! wild horses running around in actual populated places where humans can hit them like Deer? I'm a Californian and never have I seen or heard of this before, then again I've never been to NC before so theres that.....
      Yes. Corolla. We've been going since 1990. The horses have been moved to the 4WD area since so many were getting killed.

Common to see them in the yard at my wife's aunt and late uncle's house.

https://www.corollawildhorses.com/
      Last edited by Cooper; 08-13-2019 at 04:03 PM.

5. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      08-13-2019 03:50 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      It's a Jeep thing. You wouldn't understand.
      I do understand and I don't have a Jeep.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

6. Member
      Cars
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      08-13-2019 03:51 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by steelgatorb8 View Post
      There are tours that shuttle people up the beach in converted H1 hummers just to see them.
      Tour Bus by willtel, on Flickr

7. Senior Member
      08-13-2019 03:55 PM #31
      There are others on the east coast, too.

https://www.nps.gov/calo/learn/nature/horse-faqs.htm

Most well known are the Chincoteague horses of VA.

http://www.chincoteague.com/ponies.html

There's a good documentary on the Feather Fund and the Chincoteague ponies.

https://www.featherfund.net/carollynns-story.html

This is the show. My wife remembered the title …

https://aptonline.org/catalog/WILD-P...INCOTEAGUE-THE
      Last edited by Cooper; 08-13-2019 at 03:58 PM.

8. Member
      Cars
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      08-13-2019 04:36 PM #32
      The other thing the article glosses over is that NC state Highway 12 is on the beach there.
      Corova can only be accessed by driving up the beach.
      It's a legit road, and having been pulled over there I now know the posted speed limit is 35mph, but changes to 15mph if you're within 100 yards of another vehicle.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      08-13-2019 05:52 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Probably just sick of seeing Jeeps with Dodge Caravan tires on them.

If I saw Stack's Jeep in person i'd slash his tires too.
      I would fight you, and then take your wife or girlfriend out to a nice seafood dinner and NEVER CALL HER AGAIN.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

10. 08-13-2019 06:07 PM #34
      Years and years ago, in the late '60s, I took a California girl to Assateague Island, just south of Ocean City, Maryland, to do a little gentle surfing and to enjoy the solitude, heh heh... I had just set up the tent and was setting up some stuff inside when she screamed "there's a [fornicating] horse on the [fornicating] beach!" and I had to calmly explain to her that there are bunches of them roaming around and not to bother them, and they won't bother you. It's nothing new on the eastern seaboard...

11. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Cars
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      08-13-2019 06:16 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      Years and years ago, in the late '60s, I took a California girl to Assateague Island, just south of Ocean City, Maryland, to do a little gentle surfing and to enjoy the solitude, heh heh... I had just set up the tent and was setting up some stuff inside when she screamed "there's a [fornicating] horse on the [fornicating] beach!" and I had to calmly explain to her that there are bunches of them roaming around and not to bother them, and they won't bother you. It's nothing new on the eastern seaboard...
      They're all over the place at the campgrounds, too. They know there's a good chance someone will leave food out or attempt to feed them (which is illegal.)

First time I ever camped on the island woke up to one snorting at me at the flap of my tent. Every time we camp there we see them wandering around, all day and night. Worst is one night I stumbled out of the tent and to the bathroom and wandered right into a herd grazing on someone's bag of popcorn left out carelessly. My dogs usually alert us to a pony in the camp.

The Assateague ponies are federally protected, too. Pretty sure the Outer Banks herd is as well. When I was a kid vacationing with my family in Corolla it was not uncommon to wake up to a giant pile of horse crap on your driveway.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

12. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      08-13-2019 06:33 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I would fight you, and then take your wife or girlfriend out to a nice seafood dinner and NEVER CALL HER AGAIN.
      You say that like it's a bad thing.

Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      08-13-2019 06:45 PM #37
      Who the **** are you kidding, we would both run out of energy 30 seconds into fighting. Give up, realise it is stupid and go grab a couple Molsons. Where you would see the light and we would then surf the local classifieds to source muuuuuhhhdd teeeehhhhyres for your Jeep.

The only involvement my wife would have is picking our drunk asses up from the bar after and she would take us to get drunken poutines.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      08-13-2019 06:47 PM #38
      Our Jeep is going to be due some new rubber soon. There must be some insurancy claimy type thing way to get around this

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      08-13-2019 06:53 PM #39
      Who the **** are you kidding, we would both run out of energy 30 seconds into fighting. Give up, realise it is stupid and go grab a couple Molsons. Where you would see the light and we would then surf the local classifieds to source muuuuuhhhdd teeeehhhhyres for your Jeep.

The only involvement my wife would have is picking our drunk asses up from the bar after and she would take us to get drunken poutines.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      08-13-2019 06:54 PM #40
      I’ve thought about new tires, but lease.

It’s up 2 years from next Thursday, then it’s Rubicon Time.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      08-13-2019 07:12 PM #41
      Wranglers have always been around, and are way better than any wussy sedan
      Are you 33? The Wrangler has only been around since 1986.

Cars
      14 s4 6mt
      08-13-2019 08:46 PM #42
      ...and she would take us to get drunken poutines.
      pics pls of drunken poutines. would you allow it in the your car or truck?

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      08-13-2019 08:51 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Are you 33? The Wrangler has only been around since 1986.
      Meh, you say CJ, I say Wrangler.

20. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      08-13-2019 09:24 PM #44

I'll join in on this.

Thanks.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

21. Member
      Cars
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      08-13-2019 09:26 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by what View Post
      collective punishment for one wrangler driver you cut him or her off.

Edit:

Wood not plow.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

22. Member
      Cars
      2007 G35x
      08-13-2019 11:27 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeJoker View Post
      They're all over the place at the campgrounds, too. They know there's a good chance someone will leave food out or attempt to feed them (which is illegal.)

First time I ever camped on the island woke up to one snorting at me at the flap of my tent. Every time we camp there we see them wandering around, all day and night. Worst is one night I stumbled out of the tent and to the bathroom and wandered right into a herd grazing on someone's bag of popcorn left out carelessly. My dogs usually alert us to a pony in the camp.

The Assateague ponies are federally protected, too. Pretty sure the Outer Banks herd is as well. When I was a kid vacationing with my family in Corolla it was not uncommon to wake up to a giant pile of horse crap on your driveway.
      When I was much younger, I used to go crabbing under the bridge that connects Chincoteague and Assateague Islands and the horses would come up right behind me close enough for me to touch them.

Cars
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
      08-14-2019 12:47 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      Part of the appeal of the Outer Banks is being able to drive on the beach. How many beaches in this "free" county can the public still drive on legally?
      More than you'd think, though there are often restrictions, particularly for migratory bird nesting season.

I'd post up some pictures I've taken of the horses at Assateague, but photobucket is being a bitch now.

24. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      08-14-2019 08:13 AM #48
      That's where Sarah Jessica Parker is from.

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      08-14-2019 09:45 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      That's where Sarah Jessica Parker is from.

26. Member
      Cars
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      08-14-2019 10:07 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by IJM View Post
      More than you'd think, though there are often restrictions, particularly for migratory bird nesting season.

I'd post up some pictures I've taken of the horses at Assateague, but photobucket is being a bitch now.
      Sea turtles too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast