Fourtitude.com - Sony debuts massive 9-inch CarPlay + Android Auto Receiver w/ modest price tag
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      08-13-2019 09:30 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      I don’t need to use my HVAC controls or vents anyways
      Damn right you don't.

That's why you have windows.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      08-13-2019 09:36 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Wow look a single DIN unit, hello 1990's so nice to see you again.

Soooo what kinda late model car must I have to enjoy this unit today, seriously?

I suppose this is something fresh to breath new life into my daughter's old hand-me-down beater.
      Average age of a car on the road is 12 years old and increasing

Plenty of options out there

4. Member
      Cars
      14 Speed Triple R, 07 Cayman S
      08-13-2019 10:06 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Just what I want - a massive screen floating in space, blocking the air vents.

What the market needs? A double-DIN, mechless (no disc transport), super-shallow to fit almost any car (easily accomplished without the transport), CarPlay- & Android Auto-compatible unit, matte finish capacitive touchscreen, and an actual rotating volume knob, plus rotating tuning/select knob on the right side. Also should support wireless CarPlay/AA. Doesn't need its own nav, doesn't really need any smarts at all. Would fit a TON of cars and somebody would sell a metric buttload of them. Doesn't exist today as far as I can tell.
      Sony also makes these. AKA pretty much what I have in my dash now, except the capacitive screen. The actual unit cost 3-400$.

5. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      08-13-2019 11:22 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Damn right you don't.

That's why you have windows.
      my A/C doesn’t work anyways.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

6. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      08-14-2019 01:07 AM #30
      Luckily for you in a few months you’ll have all the AC you need blasting through those open windows.

Problem solved.

Thanksobama.jpeg
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Cars
      13 Highlander Hybrid Limited, 06 Miata Sport, 05 Sienna LE, 02 Ninja 250
      08-14-2019 01:25 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      Really? Most.
      IMO the fitment of a screen like this is a lot trickier and won't fit a lot of vehicles... at least a lot more than you seem to assume.

A screen like this is going to hit the upper part of dashes, cover over the top of hvac controls, block hvac vents, be in front of emergency flasher buttons... etc.

Sure it will fit a number of places. But don't assume its anywhere near as universal as a plain single DIN would be... or even a single din with a flip out screen, which can be stowed so it is not a constant cover for all those dash bits.

As immediate examples, this HU would be a bad choice in both my Highlander and my Miata. So right off the bat its a none starter in 66% percent of the cars I own.

It would also be a horrible fit in my old 2004 Saab 9-5, and be a poor fit in the mk4 mk5 b5.5 vehicle line ups.
      And while it would potentially work in mk2's and mk3's the screen would be a HUGE problem in seeing the road.
      IMO wouldn't be awesome in most older accords/civics... etc, since the hvac and vents are often right above the stereo.
      Wouldn't work in my old 77 Camaro either.

I know that most of these are VW's, but that's what I know.
      Last edited by dunhamjr; 08-14-2019 at 01:33 AM.

08-14-2019 04:17 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      Sony also makes these. AKA pretty much what I have in my dash now, except the capacitive screen. The actual unit cost 3-400$.
      Ha. You made me look that up.

Sony website. Apparently they have a number of different options. The one that most closely fits KevinC's bill seems to be the XAV-AX1000. Let's see if they sell a metric buttload of them. In any case, how happy are you with it, XiaoNio?
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

08-14-2019 05:22 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
      Ha. You made me look that up.

Sony website. Apparently they have a number of different options. The one that most closely fits KevinC's bill seems to be the XAV-AX1000. Let's see if they sell a metric buttload of them. In any case, how happy are you with it, XiaoNio?
      I have the ax100 in both of my cars right now.

Best head unit on the market IMO.

Clean UI. No extraneous features at all, and sounds excellent.

Real volume knob.

Have used it with AA, and carplay. Works equally great with both.

It is tough to see maps on the small screen though. Something like this would be ideal. Won't fit a lot of cars, but most any vehicle with the radio towards the top of the dash should work. If you watch the video the mount tilts on 3 axis, and could be tilted down, extended out, or moved up/down as needed.

There are many millions of cars on the road that were released before car play, and Android auto. You still to this day cannot buy a BMW that works with your phone unless you are a apple user, and are willing to pay a fee.

Having experience with Sony's implementation of AA, and car play, there are some OEM stereos that support them that I would remove in favor of this unit.

10. Member
      Cars
      B6 S4 Avant
      08-14-2019 09:27 AM #34
      I've been running a Sony XAV-AX100 in my 05 S4 for almost 2 years now. Has been a fantastic upgrade - CarPlay works great. Worst part of install was the goddamn panel clips when routing the microphone to the OEM location.

11. Member
      Cars
      B6 S4 Avant
      08-14-2019 09:29 AM #35
      So this is what it's like when doves cry.

Cars
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      08-14-2019 11:13 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      Resistive screen is a NON-starter. They wear out and become glitchy. Also what Sony unit has 2 rotating knobs for volume/control?

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

13. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      08-14-2019 11:24 AM #37
      Resistive screen is a NON-starter. They wear out and become glitchy. Also what Sony unit has 2 rotating knobs for volume/control?
      Few, if any, double-DIN units will have two knobs (one on each side) as it severely restricts screen size. Which is what people buy a CarPlay/AA head unit for.

08-14-2019 07:24 PM #38
      Having been using it for many years at this point I can tell you that it's pretty reliable and the resistive touch screen works perfectly.

You don't need a tuning knob when you have a touch screen
      Last edited by HI SPEED; 08-15-2019 at 07:13 AM.

15. 08-15-2019 12:44 AM #39
      Does this have the same lousy WVGA resolution that the Alpine Halo9 has? As bad as it is on a 6-7" screen, 800x480 is just painful on a 9" screen.

08-15-2019 07:15 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      Does this have the same lousy WVGA resolution that the Alpine Halo9 has? As bad as it is on a 6-7" screen, 800x480 is just painful on a 9" screen.
      It does...

Maybe I will wait to see it before preordering.

17. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      08-15-2019 07:17 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      I mean it's not like you can watch movies on it. For AA/ACP it's fine.

18. 08-15-2019 08:37 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      If you put one of these in a Mk2 VW you'd get pulled over and ticketed for it blocking your view through the windshield. And then it would get stolen within minutes after parking in the city.

And then there's the pre-2004ish Mk4s with the pop-out cupholders mounted directly above the radio. Put one of these in, and no more cupholders.
      Ppl still steal car radios? I thought that stopped in the 90s

19. Member
      Cars
      B6 S4 Avant
      08-15-2019 11:39 AM #43
      Resistive screen is great in winter climates. My AX has performed superbly with gloves on and the screen has had absolutely no issues in performance or comsmetic blemishes on a daily driver parked outside at work in -20F to 100F temps. The resolution is absolutely fine for the screen size. I'll also echo the other sentiment that the interface is the best interface for a device intended to be used in a moving vehicle. Kenwood etc make UIs that have way too many busy and small touchscreen buttons that demand the driver pay even more attention to the headunit to operate.

Simplicity and clear-easy to use is a priority feature given the operating environment, and the Sony units are the best in that regard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12