Fourtitude.com - Let the manual transmission die
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    1. 08-13-2019 01:22 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      So you are ignoring the people on the forum that have actually managed dealerships telling you otherwise?
      To be fair, the last time I was in a discussion about fuel and additives with someone who "ran gas stations for 35 years, I know how it works, it doesn't work that way"--he was wrong.

And to be even more fair, with clear evidence in front of him, he admitted it. So there's that.
      Quote Originally Posted by seanmcd72
      You are like the new Nightshift1983 of this forum dude. Just keep your fingers off the keyboard unless you have something valuable to say

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-13-2019 01:22 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post

Car costs money every day it is on a dealer lot. Stick to your day job.
      Yes, so do the 100 CRVs with automatic that don't get purchased immediately and sit for months.
      There is NO reason NOT to have a couple or three manual units on the lot.

4. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      08-13-2019 01:30 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by AC1DD View Post
      Yes, so do the 100 CRVs with automatic that don't get purchased immediately and sit for months.

Why? Who want's a ****ing CRV in manual? Auto makes it a better car. I don't get everyone's hard on for manuals. Yes, drivers cars, sports car, enthusiast type vehicles are better with a stick. Makes total sense. I cant help but feel like people have to define their manhood/ how much of "car guy" or enthusiast they are based off a transmission choice. Do I want to daily a CRV with a manual? **** no, that would suck. Put that boring appliance in D and cruise to work. A boxster on a canyon road or track? Then yes manual all day everyday and twice on sunday. People need to realize most cars are better suited with auto's and some remain better with manual (and those still are available). No wants an S500 , X5, or an F150 in stick.

5. 08-13-2019 01:35 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Why? Who want's a ****ing CRV in manual? Auto makes it a better car. I don't get everyone's hard on for manuals. Yes, drivers cars, sports car, enthusiast type vehicles are better with a stick. Makes total sense. I cant help but feel like people have to define their manhood/ how much of "car guy" or enthusiast they are based off a transmission choice. Do I want to daily a CRV with a manual? **** no, that would suck. Put that boring appliance in D and cruise to work. A boxster on a canyon road or track? Then yes manual all day everyday and twice on sunday. People need to realize most cars are better suited with auto's and some remain better with manual (and those still are available). No wants an S500 , X5, or an F150 in stick.

I meant that if your store has 100 Civics on the lot that tend to be similar with horrible CVT, there is not reason you can't have a
      few manual units on the lot. My mistake but still generally applies there are plenty of stores with CRVs that sit for months on end with CVT and don't sell, of course they don't have a stick today.

Cars
      01 Tial 605 S4; 01 Maxima; 18 4Runner ORP
      08-13-2019 01:36 PM #80
      Has anyone said no yet?

and over my dead body. I have one in my garage, would like more.
      Go Pack Go!
      Quote Originally Posted by bluerabbit0886 View Post
      A friend of mine is at law school at Gonzaga. He says Spokane is a real **** show. Florida of the Pacific Northwest...

Cars
      01 Tial 605 S4; 01 Maxima; 18 4Runner ORP
      08-13-2019 01:38 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      As an appliance? Sure, maybe. For the weekend toy, definitely going to need the third pedal.

I can't tell you how much fun it was to *try* and hoon around in a Chevy Aveo manual and a Mitsu micro-bus type diesel van in manual. So sooo sooo much fun.
      Go Pack Go!
      Quote Originally Posted by bluerabbit0886 View Post
      A friend of mine is at law school at Gonzaga. He says Spokane is a real **** show. Florida of the Pacific Northwest...

8. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      08-13-2019 01:39 PM #82
      If you have that many of one type of vehicle that is not moving for months you are doing more wrong than not ordering manuals to sit on the lot.
      Just admit you are talking out of your ass and go back to being quiet.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

9. 08-13-2019 01:43 PM #83
      If you have that many of one type of vehicle that is not moving for months you are doing more wrong than not ordering manuals to sit on the lot.
      I can go to any Honda, Nissan, Ford, GM, Toyota store around my area and you'll see huge stocks of CUVs and SUVs sitting for months.
      Of course the entire industry is ripe for contraction.

I knew I was right, you doth protest too much. Triggered.

10. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      08-13-2019 01:46 PM #84
      I'm pretty sure that's GolfStrom again, so if that's correct you know how far that will go.

He even made a couple of posts about the need in the U.S. for the Polo.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      mk4 futura 1.8T GTI, mk6 CW GTI, awd outlander sport
      08-13-2019 02:06 PM #85
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      08-13-2019 02:23 PM #86
      not sure why people are so sour here. i agree; i'd have at least one of each drivetrain sitting on my lot, at the minimum for someone to try out. a single manual civic isn't going to break the bank, and will reward you with a few sales for people who are in the market for a manual civic...otherwise they go elsewhere.

yes, you could simply stack greyscale CRVs because they'll sell for sure, and the rest can go f*ck themselves, but then you'll be that dealer who only sells greyscale CRVs.

super valid point, so stop sh!tting on AC1R2D2 like seagulls.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Cars
      2018 VW Jetta SE 1.4T manual
      08-13-2019 02:43 PM #87
      The U.S. auto dealer industry is long overdue for moving towards the European way of doing business where dealers have small lots with few, if any new cars in stock, and buyers expect to have to order the car they want and wait at least a few weeks for it to come in -- the benefit of which is that they have dozens (if not hundreds) of engine, drivetrain, trim level, option, and color combinations available because dealers don't have to risk an "unsellable" car sitting on their lot for months.

14. 08-13-2019 02:49 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      The U.S. auto dealer industry is long overdue for moving towards the European way of doing business where dealers have small lots with few, if any new cars in stock, and buyers expect to have to order the car they want and wait at least a few weeks for it to come in -- the benefit of which is that they have dozens (if not hundreds) of engine, drivetrain, trim level, option, and color combinations available because dealers don't have to risk an "unsellable" car sitting on their lot for months.

However with a few exceptions you walk in to the typical US $tealership and they will do anything NOT to special order a vehicle for you.
      They discourage this at all times at most US stores, although it isn't as unusual at high end brands stores.

15. Member
      Cars
      16 FiST
      08-13-2019 02:49 PM #89
      Do not try to claim the manufacturers are forcing the death of the manual transmission in the US. It is the average consumer buying new in large numbers and enthusiasts who only buy used vehicles that are leading manufacturers to drop manuals in the US.
      Yup. Manufacturers will sell you what you want, if you want them in sufficient numbers. For all the complaining, enthusiasts don't spend money on current model manuals. Hopefully a few performance models (WRX/STI, Miata, R, BRZ/FRS) try to soldier on with a manual option for average enthusiasts but it's only because their sales actually justify it (I think the N's already are going dual-clutch?).

How many 1-3 year old cars with manuals are owned even in this thread? Talking about your 10 year old manual car is pointless.

The C8 is a good example with the C7 manual take rate having dropped dramatically over it's life. I have a 2018 WRX manual and the manual is awful in it, so i will very likely swap to a DGS'd GTI in the very near future. I miss my old manual Miata, but the manuals in the 2013 GTI, 2016 FiST, and 2018 WRX i had were all sub-par even with some modifications. I wish i had picked up a BRZ in 2018 and just made that my manual forever in the garage.

I agree now is the time to get something manual, and hybrid drivetrain free if you can swing it. Bonus points for big V8s like the Mustang?camaro. These are all vehicles on the extinction list. I think in time the WRX/Miata/BRZ twins/Civic Si may be the only manual average enthusiast options since they have strong sales with their manuals, and the manual is a big part of the identify of those cars - plus in at least Subaru's case, CVTs suck and they don't have a dual clutch.

16. Member
      Cars
      GX470
      08-13-2019 02:58 PM #90
      I didn't read the article - but yes, let them die. Modern day automatics are so advanced, and there is such a finite period to truly enjoy a manual, that its silly. Unless its a track car or you live in an area with no traffic.

I wonder all the people that say awww yeah save the manuals, woo woo, actually drive a manual, and have owned it for multiple years, and aren't tired of it.

Cars
      2016 VW GTI
      08-13-2019 03:14 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      I wonder all the people that say awww yeah save the manuals, woo woo, actually drive a manual, and have owned it for multiple years, and aren't tired of it.
      Have DD'd a manual for a least 15yrs and not tired.

I just want the manual options to at least stick around in enthusiast cars (ie. Miata, GTI, Golf R, M3, WRX, 911, Cayman, etc.). If I have to daily an EV in the future, so be it. Just give me a manual transmission in my fun car.
      2019 Subaru Ascent | 2016 VW GTI S | 2010 Audi A4 Avant S-Line | PAST: 2006 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Scion xB, 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T, 2003 BMW M3, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

18. 08-13-2019 03:45 PM #92
      Damn this thread is painful.

Manuals are enjoyable and are my preference, no doubt. I've 'done my part' as an enthusiast, if we're pointing fingers at one another. I've put my money where my mouth is and bought new cars with manuals, eventually scattering them to the used market for others to enjoy. I would love to continue fueling the manual transmission circle of life.

But I accept that the market has evolved and that it's no longer realistic. There's little point in hand wringing or arguing who or what is killing the manual transmission anymore. The writing has been on the wall for years now - anything worthwhile with a manual at this point in time is already an anomaly. The death watch is getting truly bizarre since it's effectively dead already - there will be little if any real further technological development. If I'm able to buy a new car that I want with a manual in this contracting market, I probably will. If I can't though, then I'm comfortable with the fact that it will probably have a very excellent automatic. It might even be electric. Who knows. The point is, I'm not going to swear off enjoying cars because I can't row my own. To look past any number of excellent new cars because it doesn't have a third pedal would be exceptionally myopic.

And if they stop building manual transmissioned cars completely tomorrow, I can at least take solace in the fact that my last new manual purchase was also a pretty decent high water mark. You might be waiting a while for this one to show up on the used lot though.
      2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

19. 08-13-2019 03:47 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Itgb View Post
      Have DD'd a manual for a least 15yrs and not tired.

I just want the manual options to at least stick around in enthusiast cars (ie. Miata, GTI, Golf R, M3, WRX, 911, Cayman, etc.). If I have to daily an EV in the future, so be it. Just give me a manual transmission in my fun car.
      However you have some decent pedestrian small cars (non sport trims) like the, Chevy Sonic, Trax, Honda Fit, Civic, and The Toyota iA (Mazda 2), Mazda 3, Hyundai Elantra GT, Kia Forte, Rio, ect that are also very fun to drive with stick and affordable too. I'd like to see them stick around too.

Cars
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      08-13-2019 03:50 PM #94
      I entered this thread to say no manual no care, but finally saw the light.

I'm now trading all my cars in for a brand new CRV automatic. Thanks TCL!
      "No manual, no care."

Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

21. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      08-13-2019 03:58 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      I didn't read the article - but yes, let them die. Modern day automatics are so advanced, and there is such a finite period to truly enjoy a manual, that its silly. Unless its a track car or you live in an area with no traffic.

yup, i feel most of the people crying probably own at least 1 auto in their garage and rightfully slow. they are more efficient, smoother, and just easy. there is a time and play for manual cars. not every car needs to be a manual

Cars
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      08-13-2019 04:01 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      How many 1-3 year old cars with manuals are owned even in this thread? Talking about your 10 year old manual car is pointless.
      I have a newer car with manual and would not have gotten the car without it. It was dealer traded from Ohio.

My next car will be one of the following:

a) manual transmission
      b) electric
      c) luxury sedan/wagon

Basically, I am going to keep it archaic or swing all the way over to something with electric drive motors and/or additional levels of autonomy.

Cars
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      08-13-2019 04:03 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      I entered this thread to say no manual no care, but finally saw the light.

I'm now trading all my cars in for a brand new CRV automatic. Thanks TCL!
      Since they have a CVT, you could argue "If I cannot shift my own gears, neither will my transmission!!"

24. Member
      Cars
      2016 Golf R, 2001 Z3
      08-13-2019 04:27 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      Damn this thread is painful.

Manuals are enjoyable and are my preference, no doubt. I've 'done my part' as an enthusiast, if we're pointing fingers at one another. I've put my money where my mouth is and bought new cars with manuals, eventually scattering them to the used market for others to enjoy. I would love to continue fueling the manual transmission circle of life.
      I never thought about it in those terms, but when I read your post it occurred to me that I have only ever bought new cars with manual transmissions. the only time I have owned an automatic was via a used car. The first new car I bought was a 2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with a 6-speed manual. I had automatic and a manual cars before, but they were all purchased used. Every new car purchase after that has been a manual transmission (GTI, S4, and Golf R).

Cars
      2018 VW Jetta SE 1.4T manual
      08-13-2019 04:31 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      How many 1-3 year old cars with manuals are owned even in this thread?
      I bought my 2018 Jetta in large part because I knew it would probably be my last chance to get one with a manual transmission and the options I wanted -- a sunroof and heated seats. (Plus the 2019 Jetta is fugly and bloated regardless of transmission choice.)

I also test-drove a manual Civic, but didn't like how low and claustrophobic it felt inside. And I also considered the Elantra Sport but ended up crossing it off my list because I didn't feel like driving 50+ miles just to find a dealer which actually had a manual one in stock. Same thing with the Corolla XSE (or whatever the "sporty" trim level was called).

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      08-13-2019 04:33 PM #100
      They do, but with a "wink and nod" Just like they do with "ethics".

K, no but really, what level of high school are you in?
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast