Fourtitude.com - Am I Crazy? Golf R vs. Veloster N
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Results 251 to 275 of 287
    1. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,237
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      05-10-2020 08:05 PM #251
      If this was DSG and a normal 2 door I'd totally get it.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. 05-10-2020 09:28 PM #252
      That DCT Veloster N looks so at home on the track.....How?

      9:04 NGS mode...lolol

      https://youtu.be/G6A2tOfrlzQ
      Last edited by rclab1; 05-10-2020 at 09:43 PM.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2014
      Location
      SE Michigan
      Posts
      586
      Cars
      17 BRZ, A4 Quattro 6MT, 91 Miata (300 HP)
      05-10-2020 09:39 PM #253
      Quote Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
      That DCT Veloster N looks so at home on the track.....How?

      9:20 NGS mode...lolol

      https://youtu.be/G6A2tOfrlzQ
      Because it was made from the ground up for the track? lol
      2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP 6MT (SCCA TT T4)/B7 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT (The winter beater)/1.8L Rotrex Time Attack Miata 5MT/NB1 Chump Car Endurance Racing Miata 6MT

    5. 05-10-2020 09:49 PM #254
      Do you guys believe that some M2 & M3 drivers are switching over to the Veloster N?...thats hard to believe.

      With a small motor tune, that Veloster N will be too much for those front tires. Limited

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2000
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      13,028
      Cars
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      05-10-2020 09:52 PM #255
      Quote Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
      Because it was made from the ground up for the track? lol
      Because it is made by the best BMW engineers...
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2014
      Location
      SE Michigan
      Posts
      586
      Cars
      17 BRZ, A4 Quattro 6MT, 91 Miata (300 HP)
      05-10-2020 10:06 PM #256
      Quote Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
      Do you guys believe that some M2 & M3 drivers are switching over to the Veloster N?...thats hard to believe.

      With a small motor tune, that Veloster N will be too much for those front tires. Limited
      Sorry, do you want me to pull up literally half of the North America production based car records that are held by 2 FWD cars? It's 2020, we're better than this.

      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      Because it is made by the best BMW engineers...
      By engineers you mean one singular engineer, Albert Biermann, than yes.
      Last edited by Goingnowherefast; 05-10-2020 at 10:11 PM.
      2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP 6MT (SCCA TT T4)/B7 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT (The winter beater)/1.8L Rotrex Time Attack Miata 5MT/NB1 Chump Car Endurance Racing Miata 6MT

    8. 05-10-2020 10:34 PM #257
      Quote Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
      The brake rotors/calipers are from the bigger/heavier Hyundai Sedans (Sonata and G8).. It's enough to stop this smaller vehicle
      It's the same brakes that are on the Euro-spec Optima; they do the job (nothing but praise for not fading after several turns around thee track.



      Quote Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
      Because it was made from the ground up for the track? lol
      The N midship will be.



      Quote Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
      By engineers you mean one singular engineer, Albert Biermann, than yes.
      Biermann has assembled a team of engineers from not just BMW, but others that he has worked w/ in the past for Hyundai's High Performance Vehicle & Motorsport Division.

      Including Thomas Schemera (formerly VP of Sales, Marketing and Driving Experience at BMW M/Germany and Head of BMW M, BMW Individual in the Americas) who heads the division and Fayez Abdul Rahman, who was one of the leading architecture/platform engineers for BMW.

      They aren't playing as H/K have won a # of driver's and/or manufacturer's championships in the WRC, TCR and PWC circuits.
      Last edited by CP1; 05-10-2020 at 10:52 PM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

      Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      .
      - LeftLaneNews

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2014
      Location
      SE Michigan
      Posts
      586
      Cars
      17 BRZ, A4 Quattro 6MT, 91 Miata (300 HP)
      05-11-2020 12:45 AM #258
      Quote Originally Posted by CP1 View Post
      The N midship will be.
      RM16 aside, it already is. The VN/I30N is from the ground up built to be a capable track machine. A.B. stated that as his primary focus for this project being to create a series of fun, affordable, yet track capable cars.
      2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP 6MT (SCCA TT T4)/B7 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT (The winter beater)/1.8L Rotrex Time Attack Miata 5MT/NB1 Chump Car Endurance Racing Miata 6MT

    10. Member QUIRKiT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2006
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,813
      Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      05-11-2020 12:52 AM #259
      Quote Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
      That DCT Veloster N looks so at home on the track.....How?

      9:04 NGS mode...lolol

      https://youtu.be/G6A2tOfrlzQ
      Quote Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
      Do you guys believe that some M2 & M3 drivers are switching over to the Veloster N?...thats hard to believe.

      With a small motor tune, that Veloster N will be too much for those front tires. Limited
      No BMW drivers are going to switch to this car unless they are strictly buying for the track because 1) the interior is literally all hard plastic and 2) it doesn't have the roundel. Please take the news/fanboy posts to another thread.

      Quote Originally Posted by CP1 View Post
      It's the same brakes that are on the Euro-spec Optima; they do the job (nothing but praise for not fading after several turns around thee track.
      I was pretty impressed with the stock brakes, never experienced brake fade once on the track during a session. With the SS lines, Motul fluid, and GLoc pads they work even better.

      Quote Originally Posted by CP1 View Post
      Including Thomas Schemera (formerly VP of Sales, Marketing and Driving Experience at BMW M/Germany and Head of BMW M, BMW Individual in the Americas) who heads the division and Fayez Abdul Rahman, who was one of the leading architecture/platform engineers for BMW.

      They aren't playing as H/K have won a # of driver's and/or manufacturer's championships in the WRC, TCR and PWC circuits.
      They've definitely put together a great team to build some awesome cars and it shows. This is just the beginning too!

      Quote Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
      RM16 aside, it already is. The VN/I30N is from the ground up built to be a capable track machine. A.B. stated that as his primary focus for this project being to create a series of fun, affordable, yet track capable cars.
      While the VN/I30N are very capable vehicles on track, they are still economy cars with go-fast bits (albeit done very well) slapped on them. I love my VN but I'm not going to lie to myself and think it's anymore than that.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

    11. 05-12-2020 12:37 AM #260
      Quote Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
      RM16 aside, it already is. The VN/I30N is from the ground up built to be a capable track machine. A.B. stated that as his primary focus for this project being to create a series of fun, affordable, yet track capable cars.
      Yes, understand that all the N models are developed for track duty (which is why the Sonata only gets an N-Line), but (for example) the I30N's chassis wasn't developed w/ track-duty in mind (it was developed prior to the formation of the N division), and hence is heavier than what is ideal.




      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      No BMW drivers are going to switch to this car unless they are strictly buying for the track because 1) the interior is literally all hard plastic and 2) it doesn't have the roundel. Please take the news/fanboy posts to another thread.
      Aside from all the hard plastics, the interior/dash looks outdated.

      The interior/dash in the i30 is better, but even that needs an upgrade.

      The next gen i30 and Ceed/ProCeed should be getting a more premium interior, but we tend to get the short end of the stick (unless the model is also a big seller in Europe).
      Last edited by CP1; 05-12-2020 at 12:45 AM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

      Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      .
      - LeftLaneNews

    12. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2000
      Location
      In a minivan by the river with a squirrel and rat
      Posts
      25,305
      Cars
      grey ghost wagon
      05-12-2020 09:08 AM #261
      Quote Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
      That DCT Veloster N looks so at home on the track.....How?

      9:04 NGS mode...lolol

      https://youtu.be/G6A2tOfrlzQ
      Is there an online owner's manual yet?

      I'll play... I'll bet it says "do not use in racing or track type events".

      Also doesn't seem to shift any faster than my ZF8 in sport mode. Now before you go there, I mean transmission sport mode, not engine ECO/SPORT/SPORT+

      Saw the video and your posts in the MK7 forum. Looks like a fun car for a boy racer, for sure. Also interesting how some korean is VERY similar to chinese. I could actually understand some of that video, like when the hyundork overshoots that corner, he's like "slow down now".

      I don't think there's any value here, unless you are maybe doing a cheapo 12 month lease.
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯

    13. 05-12-2020 02:22 PM #262
      Quote Originally Posted by syntrix View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
      That DCT Veloster N looks so at home on the track.....How?

      9:04 NGS mode...lolol

      https://youtu.be/G6A2tOfrlzQ
      Is there an online owner's manual yet?

      I'll play... I'll bet it says "do not use in racing or track type events".

      Also doesn't seem to shift any faster than my ZF8 in sport mode. Now before you go there, I mean transmission sport mode, not engine ECO/SPORT/SPORT+

      Saw the video and your posts in the MK7 forum. Looks like a fun car for a boy racer, for sure. Also interesting how some korean is VERY similar to chinese. I could actually understand some of that video, like when the hyundork overshoots that corner, he's like "slow down now".

      I don't think there's any value here, unless you are maybe doing a cheapo 12 month lease.
      Ok.
      Is it not worth buying as a daily?
      I ask here bc VW GTI is benchmark for a hot hatch
      Last edited by rclab1; 05-12-2020 at 03:30 PM.

    14. Member QUIRKiT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2006
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,813
      Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      05-12-2020 11:05 PM #263
      WMI and ECU are in. Super happy with the work the guys at BSP motorsports did! It's in a great spot and very well secured -- they made the brackets and even got to do a little aluminum welding for the tank bracket, looks great and is exactly what I wanted.





      It's all mounted to the driver side frame rail and from the top down is very inconspicuous.

      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

    15. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,237
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      05-12-2020 11:21 PM #264
      Nicely done!
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    16. Member QUIRKiT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2006
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,813
      Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      05-12-2020 11:40 PM #265
      I should mention that the car feels great with both additions, logging shows (not the most accurate) 285whp and 328wtq. IATs are staying at ambient or lower. It absolutely pulls like a monster from 2k to 5k, still dies off around 5k but that's the downside of the TD04 twin scroll. It does hold 19psi from ~1700rpm to 5500rpm though, which is fun. Stock tune would hold 15psi with spikes to 19psi with the overboost function the PP cars get.

      SXTH element just released a stuffed turbo that will hold 21psi and is good for 320whp and 332wtq with full bolt-ons and their tune. That's in the "eventual things to do" list.

      Right now, next steps are Mando suspension tuner (they make the electronics for the VNs dampers) and start working on some aero.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

    17. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2000
      Location
      In a minivan by the river with a squirrel and rat
      Posts
      25,305
      Cars
      grey ghost wagon
      05-13-2020 08:32 AM #266
      Quote Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
      Ok.
      Is it not worth buying as a daily?
      I ask here bc VW GTI is benchmark for a hot hatch
      Dude posts all these Vlobster N racing videos.

      Asks if it's "worth" buying a Vlobster N as a daily.

      Lol at kid in the hatch pic on their website, next to a sign that basically says no parking, omg such rebelling. That's probably him!
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯

    18. Member QUIRKiT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2006
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,813
      Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      05-13-2020 10:37 AM #267
      Quote Originally Posted by syntrix View Post
      Dude posts all these Vlobster N racing videos.

      Asks if it's "worth" buying a Vlobster N as a daily.

      Lol at kid in the hatch pic on their website, next to a sign that basically says no parking, omg such rebelling. That's probably him!
      Even more frustrating when it's in your thread about the stupid things you are doing to your Vlobster. (which I'm totally stealing vlobster)
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

    19. 05-13-2020 11:36 AM #268
      Sorry😕. Just excited & still looking/shopping for a new car. Just wanted input. No intent to harm. I love the opinions though
      Last edited by rclab1; 05-13-2020 at 06:22 PM.

    20. Member QUIRKiT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2006
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,813
      Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      05-17-2020 10:42 PM #269
      Anyone have any good recommendations for an app/software that spits out logs that are in a usable format outside of the app? I typically use dashcommand for iOS but if someone doesn't have the app then all you can send out are xmls, which are super hard to read through.

      So, TL;DR: Looking for an iOS app or open-source windows software that can data log and give useful information without the other person having it. I'm willing to spend a little money on it but I'm also not looking for pro-software.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2014
      Location
      SE Michigan
      Posts
      586
      Cars
      17 BRZ, A4 Quattro 6MT, 91 Miata (300 HP)
      05-20-2020 11:40 PM #270
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      Anyone have any good recommendations for an app/software that spits out logs that are in a usable format outside of the app? I typically use dashcommand for iOS but if someone doesn't have the app then all you can send out are xmls, which are super hard to read through.

      So, TL;DR: Looking for an iOS app or open-source windows software that can data log and give useful information without the other person having it. I'm willing to spend a little money on it but I'm also not looking for pro-software.
      Have you used datazap.me? It's a great site that allows you to upload .csv's and easily sorts and makes viewing data from datalogs extraordinarily simple. Here's an example of a 3rd gear part throttle log for reference: https://datazap.me/u/goingnowherefas...?log=0&data=30

      So if you want, just take your current .xml's, convert to .csv and then upload it to datazap.
      2017 Subaru BRZ w/ PP 6MT (SCCA TT T4)/B7 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT (The winter beater)/1.8L Rotrex Time Attack Miata 5MT/NB1 Chump Car Endurance Racing Miata 6MT

    22. Member QUIRKiT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2006
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,813
      Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      05-21-2020 10:19 AM #271
      Quote Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
      Have you used datazap.me? It's a great site that allows you to upload .csv's and easily sorts and makes viewing data from datalogs extraordinarily simple. Here's an example of a 3rd gear part throttle log for reference: https://datazap.me/u/goingnowherefas...?log=0&data=30

      So if you want, just take your current .xml's, convert to .csv and then upload it to datazap.
      ohhhh, nice! I'll give that a try. Thanks!
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

    23. 05-21-2020 08:47 PM #272
      Kinda off topic, but this track review of the KDM Avante/Elantra w/ the 1.6T and iVT should give an indication of what the next i30/i30N and Veloster/Veloster N can end up being.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqJAtSgSXMA


      The i30N w/ a lighter platform + 8 spd wet DCT + the 2.5T sounds good to me.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

      Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      .
      - LeftLaneNews

    24. Member QUIRKiT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2006
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,813
      Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      05-28-2020 10:12 PM #273
      Fourth event went alright. I mainly wanted to work on getting faster through the slaloms and will continue to do so at the next event, and thought I improved a little bit, otherwise I was there to have some fun and see how the new tune, chassis mount, adjust the rear antiroll, etc,, went. (Apparently staying at home makes me buy things)


      Sxth absolutely killed it with the ecu tune, now I just gotta have a little more finesse with the throttle on corner exit. The LSD is definitely doing it's job and I'm not really breaking traction in this run as much as I did my first run.

      I once again had problems with getting data synced to the video. In my app it works just fine but gets all messed up on export.
      IATs were pretty solid. They rushed us through grid the last few runs because a storm was coming, at the beginning of this run IATs were at 140 and by the end of the first slalom they were around 100, ambient was high 80s.

      Last run and best time of the day:



      Had a lot of fun and finished 5th in novice. I'm going to continue to work on slaloms and trusting my brakes a little more next event. I feel like I trust them less in a parking lot than I do on track, so time to push it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

    25. Member Ducman69's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2010
      Posts
      501
      Cars
      Ram, Vette, 500
      05-28-2020 10:27 PM #274
      I thought for the longest time that i wanted a Golf R, finally drove three different used low mileage models thinking I was going to buy one, then tried a new GTI back to back with the last one. Honestly, because the Golf R is heavier and with more driveline losses, if you blindfolded me and had an Indian guy yell steering instructions at me "Ducman69, listen to me, turn hard left, you're breaking the car!" I would not be able to tell the difference between them.

      So for me, it would be GTI vs Veloster N. I haven't gotten a chance to drive a performance package one, but I have driven one white one, and its unquestionably the sportier vehicle, but with the downside that I find the GTI would probably be a lot better vehicle after the honeymoon when I have to live with it for a while because its suspension is more comfortable, its interior is nicer, the back is roomier, the hatchback opens larger, and its more refined. From a pure zoom-zoom fun standpoint though, the Veloster N is really an amazing experience, and stealing some BMW engineers has clearly paid off for the Koreans, as the last generation Veloster was a joke.

    26. Junior Member s55b30's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2016
      Location
      East Bay, CA
      Posts
      57
      Cars
      A Korean commuter box
      05-29-2020 12:11 AM #275
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
      I thought for the longest time that i wanted a Golf R, finally drove three different used low mileage models thinking I was going to buy one, then tried a new GTI back to back with the last one. Honestly, because the Golf R is heavier and with more driveline losses, if you blindfolded me and had an Indian guy yell steering instructions at me "Ducman69, listen to me, turn hard left, you're breaking the car!" I would not be able to tell the difference between them.

      So for me, it would be GTI vs Veloster N. I haven't gotten a chance to drive a performance package one, but I have driven one white one, and its unquestionably the sportier vehicle, but with the downside that I find the GTI would probably be a lot better vehicle after the honeymoon when I have to live with it for a while because its suspension is more comfortable, its interior is nicer, the back is roomier, the hatchback opens larger, and its more refined. From a pure zoom-zoom fun standpoint though, the Veloster N is really an amazing experience, and stealing some BMW engineers has clearly paid off for the Koreans, as the last generation Veloster was a joke.
      I've owned 2 Mk7 GTI (both DSG 4 doors, one base and one with PP) and a Veloster N w/ PP. First mk7 was bilsteins / eibach prokit / rsb, with lightweight wheels and MPSS and intake, midpipe , APR stage 1. The second Mk7 was the stock suspension, intake, midpipe, Neuspeed power module, RSB and lightweight wheels with Falken RT615k+. VN was bone stock.

      Mk7 is a bit more liveable with the DSG, for sure, especially when I lived in Boston proper. With the perf pack VN, the adjustable dampers and exhaust make it softer than the Mk7 for sure, and with the flip of a switch it becomes downright hardcore. It's a far more fun car on street than the Mk7, and the pops and crackles from the exhaust are grin-inducing. I found the manual transmission to be great, and rev-matching was surprisingly enjoyable. I never really had passengers in the car, at first thought the 3 door was gimmicky but I grew to appreciate it over the traditional 2 door coupe. It being a stand-alone, functional door makes it far more useful than the rear doors on an RX-8, for comparison's sake. I've owned lots and lots of TCL darlings, and this is easily one of the best cars I've owned of the near 30 I've gone through since 2007.

      To be honest, I thought the Biermann influence really shows in the car, and I've owned 2 M3's (F80 + E92) as well as a full bolt on F22 m235i. All in all, I'd strongly suggest a VN (but 100%, you've got to get a perf pack). Oh, and don't kid yourself, the current gen non-N is still pretty meh.

    Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •