Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
      Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      08-12-2019 10:57 AM #1
      I started my car search out with these constraints: fun, less than three years old, <$30k, manual preferred but auto acceptable, fun, decent creature comforts, fun, adequate sound system, fun, and can fit a car seat in a pinch.

I've looked at a number of different cars, some stretching the definition of what I wanted and others meeting it: Mk6 Golf R, Mk7 Golf R, B8.5 S4, Mk2 TTRS, Mk3 TT, Civic SI and Type R(I can't get past the looks), Genesis G70, Kia Stinger, Focus ST/RS and now the Veloster N. Up until someone told me I should consider the Veloster N I was pretty deadset on a Golf R. I've owned 17 VWs now, my latest being an Mk7 TDI Golf, the Golf R has been a dream car of mine for a long time. The current generation is a great car and would be an absolute enjoyment as a daily driver, but at the same time, I want something a little more visceral.

In comes the Veloster N. That car is an absolute blast to drive and even with my limited test drive I feel like out of everything I have driven, this car would be the one to give me pure driving enjoyment every day. I didn't even get to drive one with the performance pack, which I fully intend on getting. Other than the cheap interior, everything about this car is what I wanted in driving experience and capabilities.

But I feel like I'm giving up on something (the Golf R) if I go with the Veloster N. What would y'all do?

EDIT: I bought the car. Jump to latest to follow track/autox events and updates.
      Last edited by QUIRKiT; 11-28-2019 at 04:21 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      A Fancy Nissan
      08-12-2019 11:20 AM #2
      I have not driven a Veloster, but everyone I know who has owned one regretted it by the end of the first year due it generally being a shoddy all around car. This is of course second hand info, so I can't really provide any more detail than that. Personally, and this is definitely based on a subjective bias, I cannot imagine the Veloster being the better car to own over a period of years compared to the R.

Also, with that list, I'm surprised you didn't give a WRX a look.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      08-12-2019 11:35 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      I have not driven a Veloster, but everyone I know who has owned one regretted it by the end of the first year due it generally being a shoddy all around car. This is of course second hand info, so I can't really provide any more detail than that. Personally, and this is definitely based on a subjective bias, I cannot imagine the Veloster being the better car to own over a period of years compared to the R.

Also, with that list, I'm surprised you didn't give a WRX a look.
      The biggest con to the Veloster is definitely the cheap interior, and I could see how it wouldn't wear well, but it's a seriously fun car to drive. I should have added that I have every intention on autoxing whatever I purchase.

I've never really liked Subaru or their design language. Plus, I don't want to feel like I need a flat brim had to drive my car.

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      08-12-2019 11:44 AM #4
      The first time I had a Veloster as a rental, I thought, damn, if they would add a turbo and a stick, this would be the absolute ****, as in, if I needed a hot hatch, I would totally get one. Base is a hot mess, N is hot lava.

Then they did, and the shifter is so freaking brilliant that I kept saying wow. KBJr and I tied up the dinner table for 15 minutes discussing that shifter.

The Golf R is stable, respectable, and excellent. You will smile.

The Veloster N is closer to a GTI that got worked over by Mugen and Alpina. IE - you give up some refinement, but you get big stupid grins and a sense that you found something weirdly special. And that blue is amazing.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

6. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      08-12-2019 12:02 PM #5
      Decent kit for the price. 0-60 5.5 not too shaby for 29k msrp. But the interior looks to be a let down, compared to your other choices I would say.

7. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      08-12-2019 12:04 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Base is a hot mess, N is hot lava.
      Partake in Taco Bell and you've got both.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

8. 08-12-2019 12:06 PM #7
      I am a bit bored of my mk7r. Like ever review on the planet, it doesn't really excel in one area more than the other - its a perfect all-arounder and IMO has the better interior in its class.

Do I wish i had something a bit punchier and lighter on its feet? Yes, I do. But for long hauls, or picking up the wife's family it has been amazing. It makes a really fun road trip car but thats about it, for me at least.

9. Member
      Cars
      GX470; Model 3 dual motor appliance
      08-12-2019 12:08 PM #8
      Completely different cars and price points.

1. Only listen to people that have actually driven a car you're asking questions about.

2. The veloster N is MUCH more on edge than a golf r. I can't overstate this. The exhaust and interior is boomy. The clutch is an on / off switch. The Golf R is farrrr more docile, mature, sophisticated, etc. The golf r would be a treat to drive every day. I wouldn't want to drive the N every day. Don't listen to me though, I think I'm burnt out on "daily driver" fun cars period.

3. Civic type r is superior to N. Maybe not in outright fun, but in terms of special and overall car - its not even close.

Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      08-12-2019 01:16 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The first time I had a Veloster as a rental, I thought, damn, if they would add a turbo and a stick, this would be the absolute ****, as in, if I needed a hot hatch, I would totally get one. Base is a hot mess, N is hot lava.

Then they did, and the shifter is so freaking brilliant that I kept saying wow. KBJr and I tied up the dinner table for 15 minutes discussing that shifter.

The Golf R is stable, respectable, and excellent. You will smile.

The Veloster N is closer to a GTI that got worked over by Mugen and Alpina. IE - you give up some refinement, but you get big stupid grins and a sense that you found something weirdly special. And that blue is amazing.
      This is my exact sentiments. The Golf R is a great all-rounder that is definitely more refined, but the VN is just a hoon! Even my short test drive the car gave me a lot of joy -- enough that I could look past the interior as long as it kept me entertained like it does.

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Decent kit for the price. 0-60 5.5 not too shaby for 29k msrp. But the interior looks to be a let down, compared to your other choices I would say.
      Yeah, that interior is all hard plastic excluding the wheel and shifter. Something I could fix relatively easily if it really bothered me. But all the other cars didn't give me quites the smiles that the VN did. It's a touch choice, get the "somewhat fun, but more refined car" or the "it'll be a sh*t-eating-grin on your face everywhere you go" car.

Quote Originally Posted by badsmell View Post
      I am a bit bored of my mk7r. Like ever review on the planet, it doesn't really excel in one area more than the other - its a perfect all-arounder and IMO has the better interior in its class.

Do I wish i had something a bit punchier and lighter on its feet? Yes, I do. But for long hauls, or picking up the wife's family it has been amazing. It makes a really fun road trip car but thats about it, for me at least.
      THIS. This right here is my main concern with the Golf R. I know it will be a great car but I feel like it's not going to THE car for me, but at the same time I've always wanted a Golf R.

I will also be keeping my Mk7 GSW TDI as the family truckster, so if I need to do any roadtrips or something needing a more practical vehicle I can just take the wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      Completely different cars and price points.

1. Only listen to people that have actually driven a car you're asking questions about.

2. The veloster N is MUCH more on edge than a golf r. I can't overstate this. The exhaust and interior is boomy. The clutch is an on / off switch. The Golf R is farrrr more docile, mature, sophisticated, etc. The golf r would be a treat to drive every day. I wouldn't want to drive the N every day. Don't listen to me though, I think I'm burnt out on "daily driver" fun cars period.

3. Civic type r is superior to N. Maybe not in outright fun, but in terms of special and overall car - its not even close.
      Mk7 Golf R (2015-2017's) are right around $30k and the VN can be had for the same with the performance pack.

The very reason the VN started making me rethink my decision is because of how "raw" it feels. I recently moved much closer to my work (9 miles) and I take all backroads here, with some alright twisties -- this car would be an absolutely blast on my commute and like I said, I'll still have my Mk7 wagon for the long drives or needing something practical.

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      08-12-2019 01:27 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      The very reason the VN started making me rethink my decision is because of how "raw" it feels. I recently moved much closer to my work (9 miles) and I take all backroads here, with some alright twisties -- this car would be an absolutely blast on my commute and like I said, I'll still have my Mk7 wagon for the long drives or needing something practical.
      Sounds like a good decision, then!
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

12. 08-12-2019 01:30 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by badsmell View Post

Same. It's brutally competent, but other, slower cars can be more fun (in my case, my old mr2 is a terrifying riot - even if it's comically slow). Despite my feelings (or lack of?) on it, for an every-day hatchback, I'd probably buy the same car again.

Still haven't driven the N-line car but wouldn't say no to some seat time.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3 | 1987 Peugeot PB-18 | 1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      08-12-2019 01:32 PM #12
      The TFL in me wonders about resale. I have to imagine the N is going to tank in value compared to the R.

Cars
      Civic Type R & RSV4 RR
      08-12-2019 01:34 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      The Type R >* Once you drive one you won’t care how it looks.

Not my car (@Weaksauce)

15. Member
      Cars
      2017 GTI Sport manual
      08-12-2019 01:59 PM #14
      Get the N. Bang for the buck and fun to drive factor just win it over. Yes people will say cheap interior, performance lacks Civic Type R, but what do you expect for under $30k. You can tell Hyundai did their homework and strategically went with giving someone who'd consider a Type R or Golf R an additional option where they just might be okay with not having the big performance and/or luxury feel, but want "fun to drive" AND can save a lot of money. This reminds me of the Fiesta ST...sooo fun to drive.

16. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      08-12-2019 02:05 PM #15
      Test drive the R spec lobster if you like the N. Same chassis, 250 or so lbs lighter, $6k cheaper... or the Civic Si for that matter.

Cars
      RS3
      08-12-2019 02:34 PM #16
      I'd only add if you have to fight the 4 seasons, an AWD car is a better investment. The R handles inclement weather with such ease that it doesn't make it as exciting and challenging as a FWD hot hatch i.e. GTI.

I'd also argue that resale 4-5 years from now will be vastly favor the R. I like idea of a new car with warranty but how soon before the novelty of the exciting drive wears off?

Good luck and keep us posted what you end up doing.

Sent from my mobile office.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      08-12-2019 02:40 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      The TFL in me wonders about resale. I have to imagine the N is going to tank in value compared to the R.
      This is something I've considered as well. I know for sure the R will hold it's value whereas the VN is a new model and a Hyundai.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Ti View Post

Not my car (@Weaksauce)

Everything I've read/watched has said that while the R is faster, especially on a track, it's not $6k in price difference faster. Most drivers I've seen do track times with both only gain 1-2 seconds, which isn't worth $6k and ugly AF looks to me.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
      so, marry the R and fsck the VN.
      BASICALLY.

Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      Test drive the R spec lobster if you like the N. Same chassis, 250 or so lbs lighter, $6k cheaper... or the Civic Si for that matter.
      R-spec doesn't get the 2.0T(275hp/260lbft), adaptive suspension, bigger brakes, LSD, the exhaust, or the driving mode customization,

Cars
      Audi e-Tron, BMW X3, and a Toyota appiiance
      08-12-2019 02:50 PM #18
      But I feel like I'm giving up on something (the Golf R) if I go with the Veloster N. What would y'all do?
      While Veloster N is nowhere in the same league with the Golf R performance wise, you save almost $14K in MSRP. That's roughly $280 a month difference.

You can go lease another GTI for $280 a month that you saved from buying a Veloster N if you have a buyer's remorse afterwards. Golf R would be tougher to buy as dealers aren't in a hurry to move them. I don't know about Hyundai though.

You can't find a better performance deal for $27,400, cheap plasticky interior or not. Go for it OP.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

20. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      08-12-2019 02:59 PM #19
      This is something I've considered as well. I know for sure the R will hold it's value whereas the VN is a new model and a Hyundai.

Everything I've read/watched has said that while the R is faster, especially on a track, it's not $6k in price difference faster. Most drivers I've seen do track times with both only gain 1-2 seconds, which isn't worth $6k and ugly AF looks to me.

BASICALLY.

R-spec doesn't get the 2.0T(275hp/260lbft), adaptive suspension, bigger brakes, LSD, the exhaust, or the driving mode customization,
      You don't need any of those things for anything short of a track car. I'm just saying that it's worth exploring if you already liked the lighter, simpler, cheaper car (lobster N vs Golf R)... You can get an even lighter, simpler, and cheaper car on the exact same chassis and still tuned for fun over economy.

I don't drive triple digits or run into brake fade on public roads though so I'm not the average TCL poster.

Cars
      08-12-2019 03:11 PM #20
      Local Honda dealers are still charging $3,000 "adjusted market value" for Civic Type R. At least VW dealer will charge you MSRP for a Golf R.

Do you get the crackle and pop with the regular Veloster N? Or do you get the crackle and pop exhaust only with performance package?

Cars
      Civic Type R & RSV4 RR
      08-12-2019 03:22 PM #21
      Idk if you read this article then made this thread or they read your thread and wrote this article: https://jalopnik.com/why-pick-a-2019...e-r-1837053934

Cars
      08-12-2019 03:32 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
      in each of the VN and CTR, you always look like you're trying to re-live The Fast and the Bi-Curious.

24. Member
      Cars
      GX470; Model 3 dual motor appliance
      08-12-2019 03:55 PM #23
      Assuming you get a CTR for msrp, which you can, unless you're really lazy. The increased cost will be nullified by wayyyyyyy better residual compared to the N.

The CTR is a special car, the N is a hyundai. Sorry, I'm being a snob but after driving the two, there was no comparison. The CTR is bigger, more refined, and pulls harder. The N was fun yes, but actually a bit too edgy for what I wanted. I wouldn't want to daily it, but I've realized I'm a pansy with these cool ideas of "manual fun cars" as cars for day to day driving (I've been ruined by tesla . )

For what its worth, the CTR, and probably the N too, is actually too capable for the street. Seriously its ridiculous how fast you can go through turns, brake, etc....

If you want something raw, get the N. The golf R is not raw, you will get bored with its jack of all trades mentality, but if you can learn to appreciate how good it is at everything, not much else (actually nothing) will beat it for its overall street car capability. The N and CTR are race cars in comparison, seriously. Very, very, different cars.

08-12-2019 04:03 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Spike Ti View Post

Not my car (@Weaksauce)

I couldn't help but notice that there are no rear views in your post.
      It's ugly from all angles, but hideous from the rear...
      Chris
      2014 Passat SE, 1.8tsi, 5sp / 1986 Golf Custom
      2019 DT Ram 5.7 16V / 2005 E-450 motor home 6.8 20V
      A2 Golf & A2 Coupe racers

08-12-2019 04:05 PM #25
      I've owned 17 VWs now, my latest being an Mk7 TDI Golf,
      Ah - so you mispronounce Mark 7 as Emm Kay 7....

Chris
      2014 Passat SE, 1.8tsi, 5sp / 1986 Golf Custom
      2019 DT Ram 5.7 16V / 2005 E-450 motor home 6.8 20V
      A2 Golf & A2 Coupe racers

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast