Fourtitude.com - Am I Crazy? Golf R vs. Veloster N
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
      01-31-2020 04:31 PM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by Silver_arrow12! View Post
      Not defending VW, but every manufacturer can turn out a lemon. It happens.

I've owned 9 VAG cars and 3 have been trouble free, 5 had normal VW issues, 1 was a total lemon.

7 Subarus 1 was a lemon, 6 never had an issue.

1 Lexus, lemon.

2 Mercedes, both rock solid.

2 MG's, 2 lemons. Lol.

1 Alfa, you guess.

4 Mazda's, 1 lemon.

I could go on, but the point is all manufacturers have problem cars.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      This is not a "problem car". I want to be clear on that. A problem car is a car that has massive quality control issues. My Golf R was drum tight for 1.5 years.

This is different issue. The issue is VW under-specced the clutch on the car, put it into production, and then won't stand behind them when the clutch does fail. It's a major cost, and for someone like me who bought the car new for $40,000 and dealing with a $X,XXX failure not 12K miles into the ownership experience? That's unacceptable on any car.

So let's stop excusing Volkswagen. They sh#t the bed on me and made their problems mine. You don't do that to a customer. Ever.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

01-31-2020 05:24 PM #177
      Not defending VW, but every manufacturer can turn out a lemon. It happens.

I've owned 9 VAG cars and 3 have been trouble free, 5 had normal VW issues, 1 was a total lemon.

7 Subarus 1 was a lemon, 6 never had an issue.

1 Lexus, lemon.

2 Mercedes, both rock solid.

2 MG's, 2 lemons. Lol.

1 Alfa, you guess.

4 Mazda's, 1 lemon.

I could go on, but the point is all manufacturers have problem cars.

That's nuts- I've had 26 cars from 12 brands, and only 1 was a lemon (VW Atlas). Can't believe you've been so unlucky.

01-31-2020 05:28 PM #178
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      Sure, if you are going to buy the car and keep it, I fully agree - take it to a tuner, buy a Sachs or siimilar, pay $2,000, and be done with it.

You are forgetting my use case. I wasn't going to keep the car (though I did consider it). I leased the car and frankly expected $0 out of pocket for repairs for 3 years. What I got was a mess.

With 12K on the clock, **my expectation was that VWoA would sack up, admit there was a problem, and fix the god damned car.**
      That simple. And frankly, given the cost of the car and that I was leasing it, I don't think my expectations are out of line.

TO pay to put a clutch in on a leased car is basically throwing $2500 away, and caused further warranty problems for anything else that goes boom that you try and get covered by VW. This exact scenario is why you service the car at a dealer and you do not modify it while you lease. You give VW an out.
      did you end up dumping the R?

Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      02-07-2020 10:43 AM #179
      Heading out to the track tonight, looking like it's going to be a nice weekend for the weather and turbos.

While going over the car this weekend and doing general maintenance I discovered that a rodent had attempted to start building a nest right on top of my valve cover. Turns out he/she also liked the wrap around the power to the HPFP. I am now in all out war with rodents around the house as this is the 3rd time we have had rodent damage to a vehicle since moving. It's frustrating because all I ever see are rabbits and I was literally under the hood not even a week before.

Anyway, I took the plastic bit that hides the rest of that part of the harness off and solder spliced in new wire, put heatshrink on it all and off to the races we go. Didn't get a picture of the finished product, I'm terrible at doing that.

Loaded the car last night, except for clothes/helmet/etc(this will be important later), and also removed the rear seats. Easiest rear seats to remove ever btw, just three bolts and they just pop out. I also discovered that I can fit all four tires side by side in the hatch area. It made loading it super easy.

So my plan was to toss the book bag with laptop and clothes, my helmet, shoes, and other random things on the drivers side. I knew the tires would probably move, but I assumed putting stuff there would keep it from rolling around. Problem is, I didn't want to pack all that stuff this morning, I was going to stop at home and grab it on the way out. So, I imagined I would just drive really nicely on the way to work and hope they don't move that much. I knew it wasn't going to work but I was going to try anyway. It didn't work.

Everything is fine of course, but I didn't even make it out of the neighborhood.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

Cars
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. Wife: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sonic Grey
      02-07-2020 11:52 AM #180
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      Heading out to the track tonight, looking like it's going to be a nice weekend for the weather and turbos.

While going over the car this weekend and doing general maintenance I discovered that a rodent had attempted to start building a nest right on top of my valve cover. Turns out he/she also liked the wrap around the power to the HPFP. I am now in all out war with rodents around the house as this is the 3rd time we have had rodent damage to a vehicle since moving. It's frustrating because all I ever see are rabbits and I was literally under the hood not even a week before.

Anyway, I took the plastic bit that hides the rest of that part of the harness off and solder spliced in new wire, put heatshrink on it all and off to the races we go. Didn't get a picture of the finished product, I'm terrible at doing that.

Loaded the car last night, except for clothes/helmet/etc(this will be important later), and also removed the rear seats. Easiest rear seats to remove ever btw, just three bolts and they just pop out. I also discovered that I can fit all four tires side by side in the hatch area. It made loading it super easy.

So my plan was to toss the book bag with laptop and clothes, my helmet, shoes, and other random things on the drivers side. I knew the tires would probably move, but I assumed putting stuff there would keep it from rolling around. Problem is, I didn't want to pack all that stuff this morning, I was going to stop at home and grab it on the way out. So, I imagined I would just drive really nicely on the way to work and hope they don't move that much. I knew it wasn't going to work but I was going to try anyway. It didn't work.

Everything is fine of course, but I didn't even make it out of the neighborhood.
      I had to do a double take. I thought the car was blue...why is it white...oh, it is blue!
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      02-07-2020 12:23 PM #181
      Does the car have a hood liner? If so, hose it down with a good soaking of bitter apple spray

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-07-2020 12:25 PM #182
      You know what you have to do...

Make sure you leave a few dead ones around the car at all times to serve as a warning for the rest of the little ****ers

Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      02-07-2020 01:02 PM #183
      Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
      I had to do a double take. I thought the car was blue...why is it white...oh, it is blue!
      I've grown to like this paint a lot, some lighting it looks greyish and some lighting it looks kind of purple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Does the car have a hood liner? If so, hose it down with a good soaking of bitter apple spray
      Does this actually work? In my research the last couple of days I have read about all kinds of home remedies for this and all kinds of people saying they do and don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by EverthingIsTerrible View Post
      You know what you have to do...

Make sure you leave a few dead ones around the car at all times to serve as a warning for the rest of the little ****ers
      I've got poison and traps laid all over the place right now. I was trying not to harm the family of bunnies but at this point they're just going to have to be innocent casualties in my rodent war.

10. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      02-07-2020 01:06 PM #184

11. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-07-2020 01:09 PM #185
      I had a mouse in my stove once.

Felt really good to get that f*cker. He was burrowing in the insulation.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

12. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      02-07-2020 01:12 PM #186
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I had a mouse in my stove once.

Felt really good to get that f*cker. He was burrowing in the insulation.
      Stove?

Sounds like easy solution.

13. 02-07-2020 01:18 PM #187
      Go get a few cats. They'll solve that issue for you.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-07-2020 01:19 PM #188
      Go get a few cats. They'll solve that issue for you.
      This is accurate, the mice will smell the cat from a mile away and avoid your place.

However there is one huge downside and that is that you have to have a cat.

02-07-2020 01:59 PM #189
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Stove?

Sounds like easy solution.

My very elderly mother-in-law fired up the stove for Xmas dinner in her (mouse infested) basement and cooked mouse/mice/droppings. The smell? Pure barf-worthy.

16. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      02-07-2020 02:08 PM #190
      Quote Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
      My very elderly mother-in-law fired up the stove for Xmas dinner in her (mouse infested) basement and cooked mouse/mice/droppings. The smell? Pure barf-worthy.

Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      02-10-2020 12:10 PM #191
      What a great weekend! Car performed flawlessly and made some new fans, I learned some new things and got a bit faster and more confident with the car. Saturday was an absolutely great day for the track, it was 50ish and clear. Sunday started out rough, with a fine mist for most of the morning and then it eventually dried up to become nice and sunny, a perfectly 65ish day and the car gobbled it up once the track dried.

New setup with the rsb and endlinks, caster bushings, anti-dive, camber bolts, and the negative camber was an absolute dream. I was able to drop pressures to 30F/32R and was seeing them equal at 38 by the end of a session -- I might try lower pressures next time, but the car felt absolutely great at those pressures.

I spent a lot of the weekend working on faster entry and mid-corner speeds, which also means modifying the line to use more and more of the track, and think I improved a lot. My instructor was also pretty satisfied with how I was doing and I have been given the ok to go part-time solo with this organization -- which is pretty cool, because I didn't ask for it. I'm ok with having an instructor in car, means I can keep learning and learning.

I failed at getting any good pictures and had issues with RaceChrono and my gopro all weekend, so I only have one crappy video and will have to upload it later.

My bunny tail, which because of the technical issues with the camera I removed on the second day which happens to be the only day I have video from:

That boat was hilarious to watch go around the track during the parade laps:

The guys and gals that were in the run group I'm in were an absolute blast to run with. A nice mix of Porsches, Vettes, Mustangs, Alfa 4Cs, CTR, Mini JCW, AMG GT(it was lovely to be passed by this), a supercharged 370z and a 350z:

I look forward to the upcoming AX events and getting back out on the track with The Driver's Edge again in a month or two.
      Last edited by QUIRKiT; 02-10-2020 at 12:13 PM.

18. 02-10-2020 01:19 PM #192
      Quote Originally Posted by G_RockNYTN View Post
      6 lemons??!??!? You must have the worst luck with cars ever! I've owned nearly as many cars as you and not one has ever had anything close to a significant issue.
      No, you must not have been buying VAG products in the 80's and 90's. I've bought 30 new cars in my life for me and my family. They've gotten much better since 2000.

It's a different world.

Last edited by Silver_arrow12!; 02-10-2020 at 01:21 PM.

19. 02-10-2020 01:24 PM #193
      What a great weekend! Car performed flawlessly and made some new fans, I learned some new things and got a bit faster and more confident with the car. Saturday was an absolutely great day for the track, it was 50ish and clear. Sunday started out rough, with a fine mist for most of the morning and then it eventually dried up to become nice and sunny, a perfectly 65ish day and the car gobbled it up once the track dried.

New setup with the rsb and endlinks, caster bushings, anti-dive, camber bolts, and the negative camber was an absolute dream. I was able to drop pressures to 30F/32R and was seeing them equal at 38 by the end of a session -- I might try lower pressures next time, but the car felt absolutely great at those pressures.

I spent a lot of the weekend working on faster entry and mid-corner speeds, which also means modifying the line to use more and more of the track, and think I improved a lot. My instructor was also pretty satisfied with how I was doing and I have been given the ok to go part-time solo with this organization -- which is pretty cool, because I didn't ask for it. I'm ok with having an instructor in car, means I can keep learning and learning.

I failed at getting any good pictures and had issues with RaceChrono and my gopro all weekend, so I only have one crappy video and will have to upload it later.

My bunny tail, which because of the technical issues with the camera I removed on the second day which happens to be the only day I have video from:

That boat was hilarious to watch go around the track during the parade laps:

The guys and gals that were in the run group I'm in were an absolute blast to run with. A nice mix of Porsches, Vettes, Mustangs, Alfa 4Cs, CTR, Mini JCW, AMG GT(it was lovely to be passed by this), a supercharged 370z and a 350z:

I look forward to the upcoming AX events and getting back out on the track with The Driver's Edge again in a month or two.
      Car sounds fun. I'm making a lot of similar mods to the Rabbit and it's been fantastic in the 2 shake down events I've done at local autocrosses. I'm looking forward to track season.

Last edited by Silver_arrow12!; 02-10-2020 at 03:25 PM.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-10-2020 02:28 PM #194
      What a great weekend!

Cool update, how many miles on the car now?

Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      02-10-2020 03:56 PM #195
      Cool update, how many miles on the car now?
      About to hit 9k miles, 3 oil changes, 1 set of brake pads, and soon a trans fluid change. So far I have spent $210 in service costs (if you add the brake pads, make that ~750) and $830 in fuel.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-10-2020 04:00 PM #196
      Is the recommend oil change interval 3k or are you just being safe? They say the oil on my GSW is supposed to be changed every 10k and i just dont buy it. Ive always done my Synthetic oil changes at 3-5k

Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      02-10-2020 06:52 PM #197
      Is the recommend oil change interval 3k or are you just being safe? They say the oil on my GSW is supposed to be changed every 10k and i just dont buy it. Ive always done my Synthetic oil changes at 3-5k
      6k recommended intervals, but between the track, autox, and the general tomfoolery I get myself into with this car I feel 3k is playing it safe.

Cars
      17 GTI Sport
      02-10-2020 11:13 PM #198
      About to hit 9k miles, 3 oil changes, 1 set of brake pads, and soon a trans fluid change. So far I have spent $210 in service costs (if you add the brake pads, make that ~750) and $830 in fuel.
      Glad to see you're using it the way Hyundai intended Also, for $540 I hope those brake pads were track pads
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4
      Speed/Sport/Life

Cars
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2019 Elantra GT N-line
      02-10-2020 11:35 PM #199
      6k recommended intervals, but between the track, autox, and the general tomfoolery I get myself into with this car I feel 3k is playing it safe.

Not 100% certain but I believe the owners manual on my Elantra GT w/ 1.6t states 3750 miles for turbo engines and no more than 5k for ideal driving conditions.

Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      02-11-2020 10:38 AM #200
      Quote Originally Posted by tampaSi View Post
      Glad to see you're using it the way Hyundai intended Also, for $540 I hope those brake pads were track pads
      G-Loc R12 fronts and R10 rears, a little more agressive than the stock pads honestly. OEM pads are $300 for the front.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      Not 100% certain but I believe the owners manual on my Elantra GT w/ 1.6t states 3750 miles for turbo engines and no more than 5k for ideal driving conditions.
      Manual states 6k with 0w-20, but it they have a variety of weights they recommend for the car. I do 3k and use 5w-40.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast