Fourtitude.com - 1.4 TSI Carbon Build Up Tracking Poll
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

View Poll Results: Did your 1.4 TSI Direct Injection engine suffer from Carbon Deposit Issues?

Voters
    4. You may not vote on this poll
    • 0-50,000 miles with NO Carbon Deposit Issues

3 75.00%
    • 50,001-100,000 miles with NO Carbon Deposit Issues

0 0%
    • 100,0001-150,000 miles with NO Carbon Deposit Issues

1 25.00%
    • 0-50,000 miles WITH Carbon Deposit Issues

0 0%
    • 50,001-100,000 miles WITH Carbon Deposit Issues

0 0%
    • 100,0001-150,000 miles WITH Carbon Deposit Issues

0 0%
    1. 08-10-2019 04:20 PM #1
      As most of you know, Direct Injected engines can suffer from Carbon Deposits on the back of the intake valves. While manufacturers have mitigated this issue over the years, it is still a cause of concern for many, including myself. I have searched carbon deposit issues with the direct injected 1.4 TSI and have found very little data points for this issue. The 1.4 has been in production for a number of years now, so there should now be engines out there with higher miles to have good data points for a poll. If you own a 1.4 direct injected TSI, please feel free to vote in the poll.

NOTE: There is a typo in the poll above. There are two entries listed as 100,0001 miles. I mistakenly added an extra 0. It should be 100,001 miles. I can't edit a poll. If a moderator sees this, I would appreciate if it is corrected.
      Last edited by Encinoman45; 08-10-2019 at 05:50 PM.
      2017 VW Jetta SE
      1987 Chevy R10 Custom Deluxe

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-10-2019 04:39 PM #2
      I have 108k on my 2016 Jetta with the 1.4T. I have done oil changes religiously at 10k with 502 spec oil only and had my injectors changed due to some failure at 85k and asked for them to check the valves, which they showed me personally and I don’t have any carbon on them at all. So I know that I’m not having an issue, but that doesn’t speak for everyone. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 09-08-2019 02:18 AM #3
      This is my older 2011 Golf 6 1.4TSI,i took the car in for carbon cleaning by walnut blasting and there was significant carbon build up on the valves,this was done at 176000km / 109000 miles,i am not sure if the issue has been addressed in the newer engine, sorry for the bad picture

Sent from my Redmi 5 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 09-08-2019 09:43 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by rockport View Post
      This is my older 2011 Golf 6 1.4TSI,i took the car in for carbon cleaning by walnut blasting and there was significant carbon build up on the valves,this was done at 176000km / 109000 miles,i am not sure if the issue has been addressed in the newer engine, sorry for the bad picture

Sent from my Redmi 5 using Tapatalk
      Yeah, I think you have the old gen 1.4T. They definitely revised the motor since the first gen, so maybe they’ve fixed the issue.

7. 09-11-2019 08:27 PM #5
      Issue is caused by GDI... my new 1.4T is GDI.... how was the issue addressed?

I am expecting the same buildup over time.

I am expecting the 508 low ash mid SAPS oil to reduce it. But, a real solution is to add dual injection where each cylinder has the GDI injector + an MPFI.

Might just use a GDI IVD cleaner and run it every year or 2.
      Last edited by Greasymechtech; 09-11-2019 at 08:31 PM.

8. 09-11-2019 08:37 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Greasymechtech View Post
      Issue is caused by GDI... my new 1.4T is GDI.... how was the issue addressed?

I am expecting the same buildup over time.

I am expecting the 508 low ash mid SAPS oil to reduce it. But, a real solution is to add dual injection where each cylinder has the GDI injector + an MPFI.

Might nust uze a GDI IVD cleaner and run it every year or 2.
      I’m not exactly sure how they addressed it since the 1.4T only has DI. But I know at least for me, I’ve used only VW 502.00/505.00 spec oil and I don’t have any carbon on my valves. I think also when getting oil as well, try to get the highest API(American Petroleum Institute) rating as well. So like Mobil 1 has an SN rating which is perfectly fine, but Castro’s edge professional has an SN Plus rating meaning it’s meeting a more strict standard. I’ve used mostly Mobil 1 or liqui moly my cars whole life and I had an injector issue around 80k and when they were replacing the injectors, I asked the service advisor to have the tech check the intake valves and the tech said they were clean and then took me in the back and showed me. So I’m only going on my luck alone, but I think the oil has a huge part to play in whether we will have valve issues or not. Hope this helps.