Fourtitude.com - SQ5 vs Macan S vs GLC 43 vs??
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 62
    1. 08-09-2019 02:25 PM #1
      Well... the car searching keeps changing.

      Looks like the vehicle I'm going to buy is going to be the "adventure" vehicle.

      AWD, boxy, space for weekends camping, weekends backpacking, and road trips (bye bye e-tron and Model X), as well as daily driven.

      What are thehivelounge's thoughts on these? or recommend another.

      $55k give or take a few
      Last edited by Nourdmrolnmt; 08-09-2019 at 03:07 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      26,314
      Blog Entries
      4
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      08-09-2019 02:36 PM #2
      This has grand cherokee trailhawk written all over it. I believe all of the engine options are available with this and you get definitely option it up as little or as much as you want. Stack will be happy, but I think a Wrangler could also be a fun option. Of course, the various TRD versions of the 4runner would be fantastic as well.

      I don't see any of the vehicles you're looking at as "adventure vehicles".

    4. Member halchka99's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2002
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      9,913
      Cars
      Evo IX MR |17 Porsche Macan S | 18 Mercedes C43 AMG | VW Bus 13 Window
      08-09-2019 02:46 PM #3
      if you're looking for "space" forget the Macan

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 8th, 2003
      Location
      KCMO
      Posts
      12,151
      Cars
      2019 Audi RS 3
      08-09-2019 02:52 PM #4
      I put 12k on a 2018 SQ5 that I had last year, and really enjoyed the vehicle. The complaints that I had from it can really just be pointed toward the fact that I just have no real reason to own a CUV...no kids/dogs/etc. I test drove a new 2018 Macan S when I was getting out of the SQ5 and was not a fan. The tech in a $55k CPO SQ5 will be miles ahead of a similarly priced Macan S. It wasn't appreciably quicker on the road nor did it make any better noises. The DCT just didn't feel like it made sense in the Macan, as it was clunky at low speeds and just not fitting for a CUV.

      I also could not believe that a $70k Macan S still required you to insert the key in the ignition to start it. Meanwhile, my GF's base 2019 A3 and basically every other vehicle I've been in since 2015 has keyless go. Additionally, if you're shopping used/CPO, Audi's packages are so much easier to identify and help you narrow down the equipment you do/don't want.

    6. 08-09-2019 02:59 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      This has grand cherokee trailhawk written all over it. I believe all of the engine options are available with this and you get definitely option it up as little or as much as you want. Stack will be happy, but I think a Wrangler could also be a fun option. Of course, the various TRD versions of the 4runner would be fantastic as well.

      I don't see any of the vehicles you're looking at as "adventure vehicles".
      mostly road-tripping and some slight dirt roads. no real off roading.

      not a huge fan of the grand cherokee in general. not a huge fan of the wrangler for a daily driver.

      we will, one day, be buying an older Land Cruiser for true adventure, but this is the daily driver/adventure vehicle.
      Last edited by Nourdmrolnmt; 08-09-2019 at 03:06 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

    7. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      26,314
      Blog Entries
      4
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      08-09-2019 03:17 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      mostly road-tripping and some slight dirt roads. no real off roading.

      not a huge fan of the grand cherokee in general. not a huge fan of the wrangler for a daily driver.

      we will, one day, be buying an older Land Cruiser for true adventure, but this is the daily driver/adventure vehicle.
      In that case, I'd probably add in a XC60. Perhaps an RDX/MDX depending on size preference. I believe you mentioned not liking BMW (or something to that effect) in the previous thread, but I'd at least drive X3 M40. It will probably be the best balance of comfort and performance out of anything you're looking at. The B58 is a seriously excellent engine.

    8. Geriatric Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 18th, 2001
      Location
      Near Rabbit5GTI
      Posts
      38,464
      Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      08-09-2019 03:20 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by halchka99 View Post
      if you're looking for "space" forget the Macan
      And the SQ5 isn't much larger then a Golf.
      iain

    9. 08-09-2019 03:21 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      In that case, I'd probably add in a XC60. Perhaps an RDX/MDX depending on size preference. I believe you mentioned not liking BMW (or something to that effect) in the previous thread, but I'd at least drive X3 M40. It will probably be the best balance of comfort and performance out of anything you're looking at. The B58 is a seriously excellent engine.
      If I was leasing, i'd look at them as they are currently leasing very well.

      XC60 is on the radar, but i don't feel it has the same presence.

      There's also the odd Land Rover choices but reliability isn't their strong suit. Same with the Stelvio Q.
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      2,261
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      08-09-2019 03:21 PM #9
      X3 M40i or X3 M if you can swing it. X4 if you like the swoopy roof.

      They're surprisingly dynamic vehicles and my pick of the segment unless design is of huge importance, in which case it's Macan.

    11. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      26,314
      Blog Entries
      4
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      08-09-2019 03:33 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      If I was leasing, i'd look at them as they are currently leasing very well.

      XC60 is on the radar, but i don't feel it has the same presence.

      There's also the odd Land Rover choices but reliability isn't their strong suit. Same with the Stelvio Q.
      Assuming you're talking about the BMW regarding leasing, you should still look at it regardless. The reliability and costs will be about the same across the German brands. You're only hurting yourself by not looking at the BMW! (despite owning a BMW and liking it, it will likely be my last).

      So I guess the F Pace is also out?

    12. Member TangoRed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2005
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      11,510
      08-09-2019 03:54 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      X3 M40i or X3 M if you can swing it. X4 if you like the swoopy roof.

      They're surprisingly dynamic vehicles and my pick of the segment unless design is of huge importance, in which case it's Macan.
      I always have a hard time choosing between the AMG GLC43 and X3 340i. Between the two its a total toss up- I happen to like the Mercedes styling a little bit better (GLC just got a facelift) so I'd go with that. Would definitely not get a Macan S or SQ5 over the Benz.


      Last edited by TangoRed; 08-09-2019 at 04:00 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      2,261
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      08-09-2019 04:53 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      I always have a hard time choosing between the AMG GLC43 and X3 340i. Between the two its a total toss up- I happen to like the Mercedes styling a little bit better (GLC just got a facelift) so I'd go with that. Would definitely not get a Macan S or SQ5 over the Benz.
      I was about to say they're kind of a toss up between luxe and sport, and then I realized that this is the new 3-series vs C-Class discussion.

    14. 08-09-2019 05:04 PM #13
      I guess if I say it properly and we don't need the ground clearance, the S5 sportback and RS5 (a little out of price range) become contenders too...

      I will take a look at these. I won't be buying for another few months but just getting some hot takes.
      -Move to new house Sep 1
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

    15. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2004
      Location
      Los Gatos, CA
      Posts
      20,365
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      08-09-2019 05:17 PM #14
      Used E63 wagon.

      Another option is buy what you want and attach a trailer hitch to it for bike rack/cargo rack/trailer/etc. You can then have what you really want year round then just throw on some added capacity when needed. Case in point, this is my A6 w/added capacity thanks to a U-Haul trailer which I used to move some big furniture.

      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

    16. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      39,988
      Cars
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      08-09-2019 05:22 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      - the "adventure" vehicle.

      AWD, boxy, space for weekends camping, weekends backpacking, and road trips (bye bye e-tron and Model X), as well as daily driven.
      Well if you dont care about impressing the soccer moms at Whole Foods and don't mind having a slower car then the real answer is


    17. Member S4cabriofox's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2008
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      4,242
      Cars
      '12 Clubman S, '96 Miata 1.8
      08-09-2019 05:53 PM #16
      My dad just made this decision. We drove the X3 M40i, Macan S, and GLC43. My impressions:

      GLC43 is my favorite to look at. That's pretty much the only thing it's best at. It's pretty good at most things, but MB just gets the ergonomics wrong for a sporty car (even when it's a crossover). I think he and I both knew he'd never feel fully comfortable in a Benz. Nothing about it was really a wow moment.

      Macan S was a riot. The handling is really that much better than any other CUV. It felt like his Boxster with a backpack on. The cramped rear seat and half-size trunk were non-starters for him, plus it was $5K more than a similar X3.

      So we ended up at the BMW. It's not the most beautiful, but the M40i looks pretty good, especially in the blue, which he got. The handling is a strong second-best to the Porsche, it's far more spacious, it's quicker than it has to be, the fake exhaust note sounds great, and the interior feels much newer than the other two imo - because it is. Not to mention the competitive price and decent MPG. He's been more than happy with it over the last 10-11 months.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 18th, 2009
      Location
      Boulder, CO
      Posts
      831
      Cars
      gave up and bought a 4Runner
      08-09-2019 06:47 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Well if you dont care about impressing the soccer moms at Whole Foods and don't mind having a slower car then the real answer is
      QFT. But he has to care about impressing the overland bros at REI.

    19. Member BlakeV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 24th, 2015
      Posts
      1,785
      Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      08-09-2019 06:52 PM #18
      I agree... if you are looking for space, look elsewhere than these three.

    20. Member GC Autoparts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 7th, 2011
      Location
      Norcal
      Posts
      129
      Cars
      2005 Touareg V8 4.2 2010 Jetta TDI Six speed manual 1994 Jetta 5 speed manual
      08-09-2019 07:04 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      I agree... if you are looking for space, look elsewhere than these three.

      Buy a Used low mileage 2017 Touareg ..... No Brainer Touareg owner here


    21. Member BlakeV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 24th, 2015
      Posts
      1,785
      Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      08-09-2019 07:17 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by GC Autoparts View Post
      Buy a Used low mileage 2017 Touareg ..... No Brainer Touareg owner here

      You chose to ignore the Atlas... ok.

    22. Member madrussian's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 29th, 2003
      Location
      Akron, OH
      Posts
      7,507
      Cars
      LS & Bags...
      08-09-2019 07:29 PM #21
      i just posted this in the other thread that was similar, but im literally going through the exact same decision w/ the same scope of cars roughly.

      60k budget and needed to be a cuv/suv type vehicle that was performance oriented.

      i havent driven the benz, but i did drive the macan s, the sq5, and the srt jeep.

      i found the macan s to be the best performer all around but the space is identical to a golf r (it literally has the same rear space) and i owned an R for comparison.

      the sq5 does all things good but nothing great if that makes sense but has a bit more room.

      sadly neither of them really is "spacious"

      the srt jeep had a bunch more room, but its a jeep at heart and a mopar product. that combined w/ the highest insurance rates, made it a turn off for me.

      im still undecided, perhaps time to consider the benz or as others have mentioned, abandon the "performance" part of the hunt and get something like a 4runner?

    23. Member Shmi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2009
      Location
      Why is it so hot here, AZ.
      Posts
      8,304
      Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      08-09-2019 07:44 PM #22
      Lexus RX 450h F Sport? Not as sporty as the rest though.

    24. Member TangoRed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2005
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      11,510
      08-09-2019 09:30 PM #23
      OP: Here's a comparison test between the three cars being discussed. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/

      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      I was about to say they're kind of a toss up between luxe and sport, and then I realized that this is the new 3-series vs C-Class discussion.
      I wouldn't even call these AMG models "luxe" anymore. They've all got very taught suspensions and direct steering.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      2,261
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      08-10-2019 02:16 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      OP: Here's a comparison test between the three cars being discussed. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/



      I wouldn't even call these AMG models "luxe" anymore. They've all got very taught suspensions and direct steering.
      I guess I'm talking about the interior as opposed to implying it isn't sporty; sitting in them is kind of an experience and they just feel nice and fancy. Almost like your piloting some sort of sport luxury sky yacht.


      [Caricos]

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2013
      Location
      Minnesota, USA
      Posts
      541
      Cars
      2015 Ford Focus 1.0, 2008 MINI Cooper S
      08-10-2019 02:52 AM #25
      2020 Explorer ST

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •