Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Below the glide path to KAUS, Outside COTA
      Cars
      Dodge, Hyundai, Toyota, VW
      03-15-2020 07:25 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Personally I wouldn’t pay a penny more for 4.1 instead of 4.4. You will not know the difference and you will likely be 3+ seconds faster 0-60 than every other car around you at any time.
      I guess you do not have a bunch of Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc on your commute.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-15-2020 08:12 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      I guess you do not have a bunch of Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc on your commute.
      Oh definitely not.

Cars
      2020 Tesla Model 3 LR Dual Motor
      03-15-2020 10:16 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by YukonCornelius View Post
      These cars are lifeless - you need something to distinguish them. Having the top trim with the slightly lowered suspension, red calipers, cf spoiler - doesn't seem like much, but combined with absurd performance, it all comes together to at least have some personality. I'm listing my dual motor non performance for sale because I don't need it, and values are still high right now. I'll be on the lookout for a Y with white interior. Or a nice used performance 3 with white interior.
      Sadly, 20” rims with low pros and a lowered suspension are just not viable in eastern Massachusetts. I prefer the black interior anyway but white is not viable with a toddler.

5. Member
      Cars
      GX470; Model 3 dual motor appliance
      03-15-2020 10:50 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      Sadly, 20” rims with low pros and a lowered suspension are just not viable in eastern Massachusetts. I prefer the black interior anyway but white is not viable with a toddler.
      Even lowered, its not that low at all. the 20" wheels could be swapped out for 18's or 19's. I'm sure you'll like it, sorry if I came off like an ass.

Its weird how much I appreciate the car but how little the car's aesthetic resonates with me. Its like I'm in this constant battle of wanting to sell it but find it hard to be without one cause its so good at 95% of driving.

6. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Below the glide path to KAUS, Outside COTA
      Cars
      Dodge, Hyundai, Toyota, VW
      03-15-2020 11:14 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Oh definitely not.
      It is fun watching the soccer moms in Teslas play with vehicles much more expensive.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Cars
      03-16-2020 07:36 AM #81
      Even lowered, its not that low at all. the 20" wheels could be swapped out for 18's or 19's. I'm sure you'll like it, sorry if I came off like an ass.

Its weird how much I appreciate the car but how little the car's aesthetic resonates with me. Its like I'm in this constant battle of wanting to sell it but find it hard to be without one cause its so good at 95% of driving.
      No it's all good. I am curious to see how the Y looks in performance trim. A spoiler could help out the rear end which I am not enamored with right now. (Haven't seen it IRL at all yet)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cars
      03-16-2020 10:47 PM #82
      Kind of annoying that Tesla sells out of 14-50 adapters for l2 charging. Unless you want to step up to the hardwired Tesla charger, which I really don’t.

Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      03-17-2020 12:15 PM #83
      Kind of annoying that Tesla sells out of 14-50 adapters for l2 charging. Unless you want to step up to the hardwired Tesla charger, which I really don’t.
      The ideal set up is a good universal J1772 charger and just use the J1772 adapter on the car. I rather not be tied into the Tesla connector. My wife has a non-tesla EV and who knows what the future holds.

I'll be on the lookout for a Y with white interior. Or a nice used performance 3 with white interior.
      https://onlyusedtesla.com/listing/mo...8-white-d70c8/
      Last edited by Tommietank; 03-17-2020 at 12:20 PM.
      Slow Car Fast

10. 03-17-2020 12:50 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      The ideal set up is a good universal J1772 charger and just use the J1772 adapter on the car. I rather not be tied into the Tesla connector. My wife has a non-tesla EV and who knows what the future holds.
      Definitely agree. A decent J1772 chargers are pretty reasonable in price (under $400) and the J1772 to Tesla adapter is only $100 from Tesla. Whereas, the adapter from a Tesla to J1772 is more like $200.

Cars
      03-19-2020 06:40 PM #85
      Cammisa’s review of Tesla Track Mode V2

https://www.instagram.com/p/B97L8mmg...=14ff7fjgv3djt

Cars
      03-19-2020 10:51 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Definitely agree. A decent J1772 chargers are pretty reasonable in price (under $400) and the J1772 to Tesla adapter is only $100 from Tesla. Whereas, the adapter from a Tesla to J1772 is more like $200.
      I’m sticking with using the Mobile Connector and getting a $35 adapter to plug it into a 14-50 drier style socket. That will charge plenty fast (30 mph), I get to use the charge door opener button on the Tesla cord, and I can keep my J1772 adapter in the car for use on the road. Plan is to mostly padlock the Mobile Connector to my house and rely on Supercharger and other network stations when I go further out.

Juicebox and similar do look cool in terms of apps - would definitely be nice to directly track energy usage/cost on there. Most of those have 14-50 plug versions too, so, easy to install if I wanted.

Cars
      04-26-2020 10:56 AM #87
      Tesla Twitter can be entertaining.

https://twitter.com/tweetermeyer/sta...638449664?s=21

Cars
      2016 VW GTI
      06-08-2020 12:43 AM #88
      Test drove a Model Y AWD over the weekend and came away very impressed. My only prior Tesla seat time had been in a friend's Model 3 LR RWD for <10min and I wasn't thrilled with the power delivery. It might've been in "chill" mode, but I didn't know at the time.

Highlights for me:
      • Power comes on fast and pulls hard
      • Ride quality felt like a good compromise between comfort and sport.
      • Steering felt quick and direct.
      • Low Cg makes handling feel more like a car than a crossover.
      • Plenty of storage for the family.
      • Rear visibility is rather poor.

Since I'm in the middle of a garage remodel, I wanted to see for myself if I should add a 50amp circuit for future EV charging. After the test drive, that was an emphatic, yes! The Model Y was fun to hustle through some turns and the power was exhilarating with how fast it comes on. We won't be car shopping until next year when the Ascent lease is up, so hopefully some kinks will be worked out and we can evaluate the 3rd row option as well.
      2019 Subaru Ascent | 2016 VW GTI S | 2010 Audi A4 Avant S-Line | PAST: 2006 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Scion xB, 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T, 2003 BMW M3, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

15. 06-08-2020 10:02 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Itgb View Post
      Since I'm in the middle of a garage remodel, I wanted to see for myself if I should add a 50amp circuit for future EV charging. After the test drive, that was an emphatic, yes!
      You shouldn't need to test drive any specific EV to know that you should add a 240V circuit to your garage during a remodel. Whether it is this year or in 2-5 years from now, there is a high probability that you will need it.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

16. 06-08-2020 11:39 AM #90
      You shouldn't need to test drive any specific EV to know that you should add a 240V circuit to your garage during a remodel. Whether it is this year or in 2-5 years from now, there is a high probability that you will need it.
      For resale if nothing else.

Cars
      2016 VW GTI
      06-08-2020 01:00 PM #91
      Already have a 240V 30a from an unused dryer in the garage, so I technically don't need to do anything. My decision revolved around whether spending the money to move it to a better location and going to 50a was worthwhile.
      2019 Subaru Ascent | 2016 VW GTI S | 2010 Audi A4 Avant S-Line | PAST: 2006 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Scion xB, 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T, 2003 BMW M3, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

18. 06-08-2020 01:11 PM #92
      Already have a 240V 30a from an unused dryer in the garage, so I technically don't need to do anything. My decision revolved around whether spending the money to move it to a better location and going to 50a was worthwhile.
      That's a bit of a different story. And it would depend on the cost to upgrade, how much driving you do on a normal day as well as how long you intend to live in your current home. If you don't drive much on a normal day and/or you don't intend to live at the house for many years, then you can probably get by with a 30A circuit and not many future home buyers will notice it is a bit undersized. If the cost to upgrade is very low $100-$200, then upgrade even if you don't drive a lot or intend to move in a few years.

EDIT: If the circuit is an unused dryer circuit and it is unused because you/your spouse doesn't use a dryer to dry clothes but you plan on selling your house soon, then you should add a separate EV circuit. A future buyer might look at the dryer circuit specifically for a dryer and think he still needs to add an EV circuit.
      Last edited by spockcat; 06-08-2020 at 01:23 PM.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Cars
      2016 VW GTI
      06-08-2020 02:27 PM #93
      That's a bit of a different story. And it would depend on the cost to upgrade, how much driving you do on a normal day as well as how long you intend to live in your current home. If you don't drive much on a normal day and/or you don't intend to live at the house for many years, then you can probably get by with a 30A circuit and not many future home buyers will notice it is a bit undersized. If the cost to upgrade is very low $100-$200, then upgrade even if you don't drive a lot or intend to move in a few years.

EDIT: If the circuit is an unused dryer circuit and it is unused because you/your spouse doesn't use a dryer to dry clothes but you plan on selling your house soon, then you should add a separate EV circuit. A future buyer might look at the dryer circuit specifically for a dryer and think he still needs to add an EV circuit.
      The dryer is gas, so I don't foresee ever needing that 10-30 plug in the future. Plus we are not planning to move anytime soon, so I want the setup done the right way.

In the picture below, the 10-30 is on the right wall directly across from the right car's passenger side mirror. My plan is to put the new plug on the left wall so that I could park it on the left and have a short cable run to plug in.

20. 06-08-2020 03:19 PM #94
      The dryer is gas, so I don't foresee ever needing that 10-30 plug in the future. Plus we are not planning to move anytime soon, so I want the setup done the right way.

In the picture below, the 10-30 is on the right wall directly across from the right car's passenger side mirror. My plan is to put the new plug on the left wall so that I could park it on the left and have a short cable run to plug in.

Back in.

Cars
      2016 VW GTI
      06-08-2020 06:52 PM #95
      Back in.
      90deg turn from the street. Wife would not be happy if I told her she had to back in.

22. 06-10-2020 03:37 PM #96
      Apparently the onboard nav was wrong. I guess they just can't fill up at the Shell or Pilot stations that are next door to the Supercharger.

Not sure why people think that tweeting @elonmusk will get them anywhere.

https://twitter.com/DanRoach45/statu...70524488839169
      Dan Roach
      @DanRoach45
      @elonmusk

Now stranded in Tacna, AZ with 3 other Teslas, all our navigation routed us here to charge at a supercharger where all 8 stalls are out of service. No option but to wait here for a tow to Yuma, Tesla support offered no help even though Tesla software routed us all here
      9:47 PM · Jun 8, 2020

Cars
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      06-10-2020 04:54 PM #97
      I'm sure I have one that came with my mobile charger kit, maybe I can get $$$$ for it on eBay I don't think I've even used the mobile charger in 2 years, definitely haven't ever used the 14-50.

My dad has a 14-50 at his house, but we've never taken our car down to SD, and anyway, he's got the mobile charger for us to use

Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      I’m sticking with using the Mobile Connector and getting a $35 adapter to plug it into a 14-50 drier style socket. That will charge plenty fast (30 mph), I get to use the charge door opener button on the Tesla cord, and I can keep my J1772 adapter in the car for use on the road. Plan is to mostly padlock the Mobile Connector to my house and rely on Supercharger and other network stations when I go further out.

Juicebox and similar do look cool in terms of apps - would definitely be nice to directly track energy usage/cost on there. Most of those have 14-50 plug versions too, so, easy to install if I wanted.
      Yeah, just use a j1772. I have a Tesla wall connector because I got it for free, but if I had to pay, I'd probably use a 3rd party.

BTW, the button on the handle is fairly pointless; I find it takes a few presses for it to work, during which time i slap the charge port door with the handle, and when it opens, I don't know if it opened because of the button or because of the slap

(you do know you can just tap the charge port door and it will open, right?)

Test drove a Model Y AWD over the weekend and came away very impressed. My only prior Tesla seat time had been in a friend's Model 3 LR RWD for <10min and I wasn't thrilled with the power delivery. It might've been in "chill" mode, but I didn't know at the time.
      Yeah, your list sounds exactly like our model 3 LR, right down to the crap rear visibility, so I'm guessing the car you drove was in chill mode. The RWD 3's not quite as violent off the line as an AWD car, but i certainly wouldn't ever call the power delivery disappointing.

I've never used chill mode and I can't fathom why anyone would, so I can't comment as to how different it is.
      Supercar owners: If your housekeeper can afford to register their car in your state, so can you.
      We've got an amazing country; don't like the taxes in your state, you can just move. How many other countries have this freedom?

Cars
      06-15-2020 09:20 PM #98
      https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/117955...t-dont-use-it/

“I have a word of warning for anyone tempted to buy one and engage their Tesla's autopilot — don’t.”

Cars
      06-16-2020 08:27 AM #99
      I’ve put on about 1200 miles since I got the car roughly when the lockdown began. I haven’t used public charging once. 250+ miles really is plenty, until you go road tripping.

Only range anxiety I’ve faced, and it was very mild, was a 2 hour weekend trip into NH. I had to top off on 120V and kept “overloading” it until I dialed it down to about 8 amps, so I lost a whole night of charging at a measly 3 mph. I’m getting my in-laws to put in a 14-50 there. Worst case, there are several super chargers on the route home.

Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      06-16-2020 10:07 AM #100
      250+ miles really is plenty, until you go road tripping.
      Essentially and I personally have to take a leak every 3 hours or so the cadence of supercharging is just fine. I drove my 240-mile range Standard Range model 3 from Orlando up Vermont last year. Thread here. Easy
      Peasy

Rumor is there will be a 100kwh Model 3 putting it's range in the 400s. Current 310 Mile range Model 3 has a 75kwh battery.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/15/tesla...00-mile-range/
      Slow Car Fast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast