Fourtitude.com - a g350 - 2dr turbo diesel box (w463 gwagen content)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. Member
      Cars
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      12-06-2019 01:47 PM #26
      Hey it's me, the original Belgian owner of that stolen G-Wagen. I'm going to need that back and will collect it directly.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      12-06-2019 01:50 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      What's the name of the color?

I'm having visions of a C124 or C36 in that shade and it would be a knockout.
      i dont remember, but will have a look at the paperwork
      definitely a rad 90s metallic though

Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      Hey it's me, the original Belgian owner of that stolen G-Wagen. I'm going to need that back and will collect it directly.
      and through the magic of the internet, the owner is found!

maybe theres recovered car auctions in europe? none of the vin stuff seems altered or shady, so who knows... either way i think it reflects pretty poorly on sdc, whoever they are, since i cant manage to find a website.
      Last edited by ValveCoverGasket; 12-06-2019 at 01:54 PM.

4. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      12-12-2019 10:39 AM #28
      a few detailed pics of the "clever" fuel line fixes. see how many issues you can spot

we have a new used line and bracket set in though, should help longevity!

5. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      04-03-2020 11:46 AM #29
      finally switching gears to get some time on this thing...

making good progress.

fuel system is done with proper lines and retaining clips now.
      intake is put back together after finding both of the threads were stripped on the cross over tube. luckily i had a m6x1 helicoil kit in the drawer... wont have that problem again! like a dope i didnt notice it was stripped until i had it back on the motor so it was a bit awkward to rethread while installed.

also making progress on fixing some of the hacked wiring. yeesh... we lucked out and found all of the factory diagrams for these early 90s builds so thats been a huge help.
      pulled out the old alarm to start with.
      they also had a couple of manual toggle switches in the glovebox - because of course they did - that ran power to the blower motor and afterrun cooling pump since it looks like there was a wire issue there. thats all going back to stock and we've replaced the afterrun pump.

also noticed this has a custom aluminum radiator. we're doing both hoses, the tstat + seal (boy was that in seal in bad shape...) and the upper hose flange seal (also toast). the upper hose looked newer but has a suspicious slit near the belt area so will have to watch the motor mounts if thats swinging and making contact.

but we ordered factory hoses for this chassis, and the lower one isnt even close!. i trimmed and cut it a bit to match the stretched and kinked thing i pulled out of there, but im going to build a proper hose with a splice and an additional 90 so its not warped.

some pictures!

all back to normal from this side

wish id have caught this while it was off the truck

fixed!

not even close

just ... damn...

getting a little better

service position!

6. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      04-03-2020 08:27 PM #30
      Were those high pressure lines...copper?

And that wiring. What a disaster. It's a good thing you are both very good at it and seem to enjoy doing it--I would have likely just lit it on fire at that point.

7. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      04-04-2020 12:05 PM #31
      my best guess is the lines were something they had lying around from another car that they cut/bent/welded to made new shapes. i believe all of them were magnetic though.
      im surprised it worked as well as it did - they didnt seem to leak!

the wiring on this poor thing... ugh. just lots of stripped wires braided together and electrical taped.
      i think they ****ed up the hvac and afterrun pump wiring by tapping the alarm power into it, and at some point screwed up that terminal. then the solution was adding a manual toggle switch that bypassed the fused. brilliant!

should be nice when its all sorted though.

8. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      04-10-2020 09:41 AM #32
      it runs!

much nicer idle and restart now with new nozzles. will have to see how the cold starts go with new GPs but i suspect itll be nicer.

removing the fuel cutoff vacuum solenoid previously hooked to the alarm seems to have upset some delicate balance of vacuum lines they had rigged up under the dash, so need to sort that... but worthwhile getting that all back to stock

hose splice

the to-do list is getting shorter...

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      04-10-2020 10:12 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      i dont remember, but will have a look at the paperwork
      definitely a rad 90s metallic though
      Bornite Metallic - MB Color 483

Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Were those high pressure lines...copper?

And that wiring. What a disaster. It's a good thing you are both very good at it and seem to enjoy doing it--I would have likely just lit it on fire at that point.
      No kidding VCG, you have it, that's for sure. I feel like the shadiest shade tree mechanic looking at these pictures.

10. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      04-10-2020 12:22 PM #34
      Bornite Metallic - MB Color 483

oooh! so pretty...

really epitomizes 90s boxy german stuff in that color for some reason.

No kidding VCG, you have it, that's for sure. I feel like the shadiest shade tree mechanic looking at these pictures.
      just fortunate to have the space and tools really makes a big difference

11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      05-11-2020 11:08 AM #35
      learning more about these trucks as we keep peeling the onion.

as mentioned the key for the ignition didnt fit any of the door handles.

taking those off, and well, theyre not in great shape.

i spent way too much time on the mercedes epc trying to sort out which part numbers we were specifically after. only to come up empty handed when we actually started looking for the specific p/n. the dealer helpfully offered to order them for ~$300/ea. and theyd still need to get rekeyed. pass.

expedition imports had a set of handles for a unimog with keys that looked really similar but wont fit. bummer.
      later w463 handles are easier to get, but the part numbers are different, and mercedes also lists a left/right part number.

we rolled the dice on a set of g500 handles which physically fit fine, but will use a different more modern key. will work for now as having all three matching and not partially broken is a huge step up

also new stereo. replacing the russian market jvc that i couldnt smash enough buttons on to switch back to english.
      and, you guessed it, they wired the stereo in with nothing but electrical tape nice!

i switched the harness back to an ISO connector, and found an ISO -> clarion adapter so its plug in now.

once the handles are done, we can put the doors all back together, and wrap up the last couple details and itll be done enough to start driving around. hopefully snap some pictures of it out of the shop

Cars
      1989 yuppie-mobile, 2016 sorority special
      05-11-2020 01:43 PM #36
      Love this thread and love the truck.

Now I want one.. but after hearing of the difficulties of even finding a hacked up Russian-extricated model for a reasonable price, I'll probably just have to be content with living vicariously through you and your dad!

13. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      05-11-2020 02:17 PM #37
      the experience just makes me leery of paying top dollar for anything you dont see good service history for. theres not really any guarantee that an imported truck you paid $40k for would be that much better. the paint on this is nice, it has new tires, someone spent a fortune putting a new injection pump in here, etc.
      a lot of surface level stuff is pretty nice, as it might be on some of the BaT/online listings, but the market is too hot to not have incentivized a lot of quick and dirty flips.

its the reason i think i mentioned in another thread about importing defenders that you couldnt pay me to buy one of those "cleaned up and modernized" defenders from overseas. the margin on something like that is definitely going to bring some real hacky bull**** out of the wood work.

anyway this particular truck also seems to live in a bit of a weird gap between the more documented simple w461, and the also somewhat well documented later us market gas engine w463 trucks.
      having to jump around a few different resources to find service info was a pretty steep learning curve - and finding chassis specific wiring diagrams was really tough

but, now i think we've got a better hang of it, and knowing the local MB dealer can at least look up the overpriced parts helps somewhat too. and at base armed with wiring diagrams and some of the basic w463 chassis info, its not a super complex truck.

Cars
      '73 Camaro Z/28, '86 3.2 Carrera, '15 Touareg TDI & '05 LGT Wagon
      05-11-2020 02:43 PM #38
      the experience just makes me leery of paying top dollar for anything you dont see good service history for. theres not really any guarantee that an imported truck you paid $40k for would be that much better. the paint on this is nice, it has new tires, someone spent a fortune putting a new injection pump in here, etc.
      a lot of surface level stuff is pretty nice, as it might be on some of the BaT/online listings, but the market is too hot to not have incentivized a lot of quick and dirty flips.

its the reason i think i mentioned in another thread about importing defenders that you couldnt pay me to buy one of those "cleaned up and modernized" defenders from overseas. the margin on something like that is definitely going to bring some real hacky bull**** out of the wood work.

anyway this particular truck also seems to live in a bit of a weird gap between the more documented simple w461, and the also somewhat well documented later us market gas engine w463 trucks.
      having to jump around a few different resources to find service info was a pretty steep learning curve - and finding chassis specific wiring diagrams was really tough

but, now i think we've got a better hang of it, and knowing the local MB dealer can at least look up the overpriced parts helps somewhat too. and at base armed with wiring diagrams and some of the basic w463 chassis info, its not a super complex truck.
      Have had this same thought many times. I'd much rather get an untouched example and update it myself.
      1986 3.2 Carrera Mini-build thread:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-build-thread/
      1973 Pro-Touring Camaro build thread:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...8-build-thread

15. Member
      Cars
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      05-11-2020 03:00 PM #39

I've always loved the 3 diff lock buttons prominently placed in the center of the console.

16. Member
      Cars
      1991 BRG Miata 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI 2002 Protege5
      05-12-2020 05:00 PM #40
      This little guy just showed up on BAT 1991 Mercedes 300GE. It's a gasser though. Is it the same color as yours?

Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -David

1991 BRG SR20 Miata build log

Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

17. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      05-12-2020 05:16 PM #41
      ooh interesting... it might be? they dont seem to list the paint code, but it looks a hair darker and more blue than purple?

wonder what that goes for. shame the tire is missing, that really completes the look i think.

that guy didnt wait long to flip it on BaT 200 km...

18. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      07-28-2020 02:50 PM #42
      finally got everything back together on this thing - need to grab a few more pictures - the hackery on the door cards and the various wood screws holding things in have been replaced with the right clips and hardware.
      ive had a chance to put some miles on it around town, its pretty fun to drive, enough power around town and once you get up to speed it holds its own but youre not doing much passing on hills haha

unfortunately looks like the heatercore might have a slow drip but we'll probably tackle that over the winter. the dash looks pretty simple to pop off, so that should make for some good gwagen surgery pics

im also planning to get a gopro video of it driving, it sounds like a school bus with the fairly unrestricted exhaust

19. 08-01-2020 03:07 PM #43
      man this thing is sooo cool!

20. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      08-02-2020 07:35 PM #44
      Yes, GoPro video needed!

21. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      08-03-2020 01:27 AM #45
      Not sure how I missed this thread, but I am so in.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

22. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      08-03-2020 11:21 AM #46
      Yes, GoPro video needed!
      ill see if i can make it happen this week. it needs a wash too, might be good timing for some better outside pics

we had to make some exhaust modifications since the cross over pipe and flange broke free above the rear diff.
      the exhaust routing is interesting - the turbo is on the passenger side, it drops it down into a straight through muffler under the passenger seat, then it goes up and over the rear diff under the gas tank, then into a dual pass muffler with the final outlet at the rear on the drivers side.

the system is available, the larger components mostly from overseas, at around $3500 or so, without shipping.
      itd be relatively easy to recreate with aftermarket parts using new mercedes hangers (all common on the w463 and easy to get) which we might do over the winter, but in the meantime we pulled all of the drivers side components and made a new clamp on turndown tip for the passenger side muffler. it tucks full out of the way, doesnt rattle or leak anymore due to the crossover tube, and sounds really nice.

weve got the carpet out now to pressure wash and clean it, and clean up the bits of surface rust in the cargo area. and wouldnt you know it, there was a ton of russian coins under the carpet

interior up front is finished and completely back together. my dad rebuilt all of the various broken plastic bits for the arm rests and door panels, and found proper factory hardware and clips to hold it all together too. so its looking much better without random screws sprinkled throughout.

but ill grab some pictures tomorrow

23. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      08-03-2020 11:27 AM #47
      Awesome progress! Glad your dad is up for the project.

This truly does serve as a cautionary tale for someone who falls hard for one of these based on oh on pics from BaT or another online auction site. The work needed on this would have exceeded the capability of a lot of casual DIY’ers.

24. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      08-09-2020 11:10 PM #48
      This truly does serve as a cautionary tale for someone who falls hard for one of these based on oh on pics from BaT or another online auction site. The work needed on this would have exceeded the capability of a lot of casual DIY’ers.
      100% !
      its a pretty deep rabbit hole and its easy enough for even a basic inspection to overlook some of the faults.

Awesome progress! Glad your dad is up for the project.
      so much so that im having a hard time documenting the work im not doing, if i dont stop by on a daily basis

but here are a couple pictures anyway.

i want to give it a proper detailing and take some nice pictures of it outside the shop once it all comes back together.

our DIY turn down tip, it has a welded on pinch bolt and slot on the top side. all the premade pinch-bolt mounted turn downs i could find online were for giant diesel truck exhausts so we had to resort to making our own haha

and the nitty gritty of the inside surface rust. it should clean up really well with some scrubbing and surface treatment. no fully crusted out spots, but it took him some time to wash all the sand and silt out of there.

front floors are in good shape though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12