VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Help! 1981 vw rabbit pickup Speedo plug stuck in tranny case.

995 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  deathhare. 
#1 ·
So the guy I bought it from said the speedo didn’t work and when I looked at the problem I found all the parts were there on the speedo cable. I didn’t say anything to the seller thinking it would be an easy fix. What I didn’t notice was that it looks like there is a previous speedo plug stuck in the tranny hole. Any ideas on how to get it out so I can put the good speedo cable in? I’ll try to get a picture if I can. Thanks.

#2 ·
The cable is certainly not a good location to do some prying. Word of advice, if the speedo gear drops into the transmission, the odds of you pulling out the transmission to get the gear out are high. I've done that before and would not want to do that again.

There is no magic bullet. What I would do is tell yourself you need a clutch and remove the transmission to do a clutch job. While you are there, you can do what it takes to get that speedo cable out of the transmission. While you're there, put some fresh seals at the drive axles and reseal the rear crank plate/seal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.