VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Intermittent vibration

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Whiteboyspooky11 
#1 ·
Alright guys I'm struggling with this. I'll give you some background as to what has been going on. I have a 2015 S3, only mods are: intake, jb4 and res delete. No suspension mods, just Firestone Firehawk tires (~300 miles on them).

I've been having a intermittent vibration from 60-80 miles per hour, it started several months ago but was less frequent. Lately it has been getting worse. Just got new tires, road force balanced and everything. Still the vibration but sometimes it goes away.

Took it to the dealer and of course at that specific time there was no vibration so I went home.

Next morning it was back and it's getting worse. The dealer said all they'll do is balance the wheels....

So I put it on jackstand today to inspect it myself. Nothing felt loose, no wiggle or movement that shouldn't be there. There's no noise like a wheel bearing. I'm stuck.

Any ideas???

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
Have dealt with similar issues on my old Volvo.

If it’s gradually getting worse AND gradually happening at slightly lower speeds I’d start with an axle. But I’d make sure to inspect the mating point at the transmission with the old one off to see if there’s any damage there that could be part of the problem.

Best case an axle fixes it, worst case you eliminated two likely culprits.

This is assuming you already put new tires that are properly balanced on there within the past 3K miles and they aren’t Kelly’s or some other really bad/really cheap tire with a tendency to shift belts.

#8 ·
So I thought this was over but not quite yet....

Picked up a set of used Neuspeed RSE10's with 255/35 18 Firestone Firehawks. Installed them tonight, took them on the highway. Same ****. Same vibration at 65+.

So I'm taking them to get checked for balance issues.

Hoping for a simple balance issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.