Fourtitude.com - 2006 A3 suspension refresh
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 07-19-2019 05:30 PM #1
      Hey guys so I need to refresh my suspension on the a3. I'm not really trying to spend tons on my beater

Am I doing this budget beater right?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      "Take me back to when time didn't matter, back when the rungs weren't attached to the ladder.
      Back when there were no dreams to be shattered, just take me back.. Oh just to me back.."

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      07-19-2019 07:45 PM #2
      You'll want to replace the front strut bearings while you're there. I would go with oem on those.

As for the control arms, are they bad, or are the bushings bad? If you have access to a bushing removal tool you could just replace the bushings with new and possibly give it a little bit of an upgrade. I did mine with a couple of sockets and a vice.

As for the suspension, I'd splurge a bit more on at least the front struts. They are a pain to install.

You'll also want to get replacement bolts as you don't want to be stuck waiting for replacements if something breaks or is too rusted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Cars
      2008.5 A3 2.0T FWD (RIP), 2013 A3 2.0T quattro
      07-23-2019 08:17 PM #3
      Uh I'm not sure $300 coilovers are a great idea--there's probably a reason they are that cheap and it's not a positive one.

Otherwise looks okay. A3 as a beater probably isn't a great idea as parts are not exactly cheap. I mean not that those parts listed are particularly expensive or anything but other parts, labour, ... you get the idea. But I guess it's all relative. If your regular car is an RS7 or an A8L or something then yeah I guess a 13 year old A3 would be a beater. Most people I know define a beater as a 20 year old Civic or similar haha.

Cars
      07 A3 3.2 stormtrooper
      07-24-2019 09:32 PM #4
      Did you get this used? If it had a collision right front that lead to this, then maybe the spindle (knuckle) really did get bent and needs replaced.
      A VR6 AWD w/ lots of goodies

6. 08-21-2019 03:17 PM #5
      Hey guys I went ahead and went with rokkors coilovers for 300 bucks ,monroe strut mounts all around
      Detroit control arms ball joints tie rods outer and inner

Itll all get here in about a week and I will update with photos and a review.

I'm getting this installed by my big brother's body shop. So luckily all I need to do is borrow my moms car.

"Take me back to when time didn't matter, back when the rungs weren't attached to the ladder.
      Back when there were no dreams to be shattered, just take me back.. Oh just to me back.."

7. 08-21-2019 04:32 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by JRutter View Post
      Did you get this used? If it had a collision right front that lead to this, then maybe the spindle (knuckle) really did get bent and needs replaced.
      Yes the car is used 126k but the suspension had no issues until I hit a pothole really hard.

It did have wear on the inner tires in the front. Pretty usual for my first few months lashing out the fwd but after that pothole my passenger side started wearing out every 3 months. And now it eats a used tire about 1 every 5 weeks.

8. 08-21-2019 04:41 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Audi'sRevenge View Post
      Uh I'm not sure $300 coilovers are a great idea--there's probably a reason they are that cheap and it's not a positive one.

Otherwise looks okay. A3 as a beater probably isn't a great idea as parts are not exactly cheap. I mean not that those parts listed are particularly expensive or anything but other parts, labour, ... you get the idea. But I guess it's all relative. If your regular car is an RS7 or an A8L or something then yeah I guess a 13 year old A3 would be a beater. Most people I know define a beater as a 20 year old Civic or similar haha.
      I think it qualifies as a beater because it get the least love( maintainence and cleaning wise)
      And it was 4k when I purchased it with a bad ac solenoid.

I cant sell it with a bad suspension to anyone else. And once I fix it , the mod bug might bite and I may just as well get all the gaskets replaced and actually save up for a timing belt change.

It's no new 2020 rs6 avant. But to me it might as well be. I do love the a3. Comfortable sporty makes good noise dsg under 4k very fun to drive. Parts will be delivered next week. I will make sure I update

9. 08-23-2019 06:31 PM #8
      Crap the rokkors are sold out even though I bought when 3 were available. Say 2 avail online right now.

So in my haste I ordered raceland ultimos.

A hundred dollars more. But oh well.

Will update when parts all arrive late next week.

10. 09-18-2019 06:45 PM #9
      Part showed up quickly. Took my body shop like a week to install it.

Had a guy off craigslist quote me 350 for installing control arm knuckles struts mount and coilover but I ended up going with shop sin e I got a rental car as a hookup.

I've had it 1 hour and drove it back to the office.

They raised it as it sat really low( ultimos)
      Firm. Okay on bumps. Will see how it handles the ride home and will take more pix

11. 09-18-2019 06:48 PM #10
      Before

12. 09-18-2019 09:40 PM #11
      After..

Out of the box it was pretty low I guess because it already looks pretty low if the shop had to raise it

It's not stiff and opposite of jarring at high speeds.

You may feel a little lofty at times but it's not terrible by any means and these are the words that ring true to most reviews.

For how low they go, they're quite comfortable.

I'm quite happy with the setup so far.
      I feel the sting of the mod bug

Last edited by MachRc; 09-18-2019 at 09:44 PM.

13. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      2012 A3
      09-18-2019 10:10 PM #12
      Looks good!

Now you have to get new wheels/tires and tint the windows.
      2012 A3 Ibis White 2.0T 6spd Titanium S-line

14. 09-19-2019 03:45 PM #13
      Thank you!

So far no noise

no bottoming out.

Just easy low riding. Steering wheel is straight. Hopefully I'll not have to keep buying tires as alignment is better than what it was before

Timing belt

Cam follower

Valve cover gasket

Are next so that I can keep driving this for a long time.

15. Member
      Cars
      2011 Audi A3 Quattro S-Line CCTA DSG
      09-19-2019 08:00 PM #14
      HPA K04/Intake Manifold/tune, PTP turbo blanket, APR Downpipe, Carbonio Intake, GFB's DV+, Red Top coils, BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Swaybar and rear subframe mounts, Audi R8 knock off wheels, RS3 Grille, Aspherical mirrors, StopTech slotted rotors and steal brake lines, US Mill Works license plate bracket, Clearmounts phone holder.

16. 09-20-2019 02:36 PM #15
      Some photos of the rear , front and control arms. As they sit currently.

Damn there is alot of room to go lower-er

Cars
      2006 Audi A3 - Ocean Blue - 6MT
      09-20-2019 07:31 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
      Some photos of the rear , front and control arms. As they sit currently.

Damn there is alot of room to go lower-er

[/IMG]

Your rear spring perches are in upside down! The adjustment/billet collar should be at the top. Not sure if there's any risk of them popping out, or if your kit is just designed differently, but this is how every kit I've seen, including my Konis were set up.
      2006 A3 2.0T - Ocean Blue - 6MT

18. 09-20-2019 09:54 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman312 View Post
      Your rear spring perches are in upside down! The adjustment/billet collar should be at the top. Not sure if there's any risk of them popping out, or if your kit is just designed differently, but this is how every kit I've seen, including my Konis were set up.
      I've actually noticed it too

I'll have to have them remedy it
      Muhahahha also I noticed some suspension pieces like tie rod were not used when there were two sets. One from control arm set and one from coilovers.

19. 09-20-2019 10:05 PM #18
      https://raceland.com/audi-a3-8p-ultimo-coilovers.html

You're correct hawkman its on their website correctly :/

Damn f^#** EMBARRASSING

pretty messed UP They just guess worked it in. So simple to Google it.

Edit:

I dont think it would hurt to have these in until monday.
      Last edited by MachRc; 09-20-2019 at 10:19 PM.