VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

EPC Light/Colder Plugs?

674 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  davery5872 
#1 ·
I took my Eoes to the dealer for a CEL and was told it was something in the secondary air system, pus I had mis-fire codes P0300,P0301,p0302, P0303, P0304. For the mis-fire codes they wanted to do some sort of chemical wash. I was skeptical if this was a real issue that would do any good. The car is running fine so bought a bottle VW/Audi fuel additive (#G 001780M3), put it in and ran on the highway at 5K RPM. After about 3 miles the EPC light went on and the engine sounded like a cylinder was not firing. I got off the highway, turned the car off and went to look under the hood. Nothing seemed to be out of place. I started it back up and no EPC light and the car ran better, but not as good as before. I was assuming a fuel injector had stuck open and fouled a plug. This has happened to me twice before and two injectors have been replaced under a VW extended warranty. I just replaced the plugs and coils last week and yesterday I pulled the plugs and it appears the wrong plugs are in the car. When I did a google search for the number on the plugs it appears to be a colder plug. I assume a colder plug will foul out easier, especially at the higher RPM I was doing, than the normal plug. I haven't totally rules out an injector issue but had a question.

If the dealer does a scan, will the EPC fault code appear? If so, if I remember correctly from past experience it will not distinguish what exactly is wrong with the cylinder. I believe the two times this has happened before the dealer had to switch around the coils and plugs to rule issues with those out, before replacing the injectors. I am within 600 miles of the end of the extended warranty on the injectors and do not want to take any chances with missing something.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.