Fourtitude.com - New build hanging after 1-3 minutes
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      MKVII GTI
      07-12-2019 08:52 AM #1
      So full disclosure it's been years since I've built a PC (7-8), but I've built plenty in my life. My dad says to me "Hey my 13 year old PC is apparently not worth fixing anymore, can you build me one?". Cake walk, sure dad I'll spend your money and build you one!

I order the parts shown below...
      Motherboard: MSI Z390-A Pro
      CPU: i7-9700k
      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660
      M.2: Crucial MX500
      RAM: 16gb (8x2) Corsair Vengeance
      PSU: Corsair Vengeance 650M
      Case: Corsair 275R

I have no loyalty to Corsair despite the list, they just had value that seemed to fit the bill.

So...

I build it, everything POSTs fine, BIOS detects everything correctly, temps look good in the BIOS so I think I'm good to go. I change boot priorities to only use USB and the M.2 and boot into a freshly created Win10 Pro install image via USB. I get to the point that it's copying files, then extracting and it hangs. Weird. But I try again and it hangs every time.

I install Ubuntu, and I was able to use it for a full 30 minutes until I'm convinced it was a fluke so try Windows 10 again and it hangs...

Ok, ok... So I boot into the Hirens GUI and start poking around for some stress testing utilities and after a few minutes. Crash... WTF...

At this point I pull the GPU and use on board video, Swap the M.2 for a SATA spin drive, swap PSUs with a known good one, and remove one stick of ram so now only the motherboard, CPU, case, and RAM are new stuff. Boot into Win10 setup; crash... Try each stick of RAM individually in each slot. Crash, crash, crash, crash, crash, crash, crash, crash still all within a minute or two of powering on. At this point I also notice that the changes I made to boot priority have been reset to default. Hmm, that's weird...

Boot into the BIOS, notice there is a BIOS update so I try to install it, but it crashes before I can even load the file to install.

At this point considering the instability and the fact that mysteriously my BIOS settings were reset to default, I decide to RMA the motherboard. I get the replacement yesterday, install it and it's still crashing...

So what's next? Is there something about the latest gen hardware that I'm not accounting for? Maybe some compatibility problem I'm missing? Worth RMA'ing the RAM and CPU? TIA for any ideas!

TL;DR
      Problem: New build crashing in multiple environments after 1-3 minutes from POST
      Ruled out: Motherboard, GPU, M.2, PSU, OS environment
      Still unsure: CPU, RAM, case, BIOS settings
      Last edited by x047x; 07-12-2019 at 08:55 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      07-12-2019 11:05 AM #2
      The fact that it works in Ubuntu fine but Windows hangs would make me do a fresh install of Windows. Who knows, maybe the pagefile is hosed?
      iain

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2002 Chrysler Town and Lumber
      07-12-2019 11:14 AM #3
      You could try starting it up with the bare minimum components. CPU, PSU, 1 stick ram (swap sticks and test), HD. See if anything changes. Re-seat the connectors to the HD. I've been having random hang's on my PC as well, suddenly (ERRRRR) and nothing. Discovered the power cord on the PSU wasn't seated all the way. Seems to be better.

Goodluck.

Cars
      MKVII GTI
      07-12-2019 01:06 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      The fact that it works in Ubuntu fine but Windows hangs would make me do a fresh install of Windows. Who knows, maybe the pagefile is hosed?
      It never even gets half way through the install of Windows. Hangs at like 3 minutes which is usually during the unpacking stage

Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      You could try starting it up with the bare minimum components. CPU, PSU, 1 stick ram (swap sticks and test), HD. See if anything changes. Re-seat the connectors to the HD. I've been having random hang's on my PC as well, suddenly (ERRRRR) and nothing. Discovered the power cord on the PSU wasn't seated all the way. Seems to be better.

Goodluck.
      I tried, and it still hangs after a a minute or three after powering on. Frustrating to say the least

Thanks for the ideas!

Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      07-12-2019 01:19 PM #5
      IIRC, there was something with trying to use USB 3.0 for a usb install.
      Try a USB 2.0 port.

Cars
      MKVII GTI
      07-12-2019 01:28 PM #6
      Certainly can't hurt. I'll give it a shot, thanks

Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      07-13-2019 12:38 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by x047x View Post
      Certainly can't hurt. I'll give it a shot, thanks
      Any luck?
      You might have to do some digging to figure out which usb ports are which, especially if using the case ports.

Cars
      07-19-2019 01:45 AM #8
      Was the mother board new? I'd be tempted to go into the Bios and reset all. Leave everything at default/auto and give it a go.

This caught my eye, not sure if it helps.
      MSI z390 gaming plus bios freeze with UEFI mode enabled
      https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=316857.0

10. Member
      Cars
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      07-19-2019 09:59 AM #9
      need to eliminate some possibility... can you run Memtest86 to test RAM

https://www.memtest86.com/

this tool install on USB flash drive and boot from there.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

11. Member
      Cars
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      07-19-2019 10:04 AM #10
      Was the mother board new? I'd be tempted to go into the Bios and reset all. Leave everything at default/auto and give it a go.

if system freeze even before boot into OS, disconnect all drive, take out videocard (you use intel CPU which has onchip GPU... and see if system freeze with UEFI enable

also try boot with ONE stick of RAM, run above RAM test with minimal setup

connect minimal USB stuff... only keyboard

ONe more thing, i see you had an Intel CPU (strange choice at this moment) and a model that doesn't come with a cooler. Which cool are you using?? Stupid question, come cooler will put a plastic film on the heatsink have you taken it off before install it on CPU??
      Last edited by Avus; 07-19-2019 at 10:09 AM.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

12. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      07-20-2019 03:32 PM #11
      How old is the PSU?
      Weird issues with different mobos could be a sign of something out of whack with the PSU.
      Do you have another you could swap in for testing?

I'll be honest, I didn't fully read everything before.
      The bios crash thing shouldn't have anything to do with the USB port.

Cars
      Yesterday 01:23 AM #12
      CMOS battery? Just a another guess.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Cars
      MKVII GTI
      Yesterday 03:08 PM #13
      Full disclosure, I just dropped this thing off at a local shop to have them put a second set of eyes on it and to bench test the memory and chip since I don't have spares to swap. I'm up against Newegg's 30 day return policy and which will be easier than dealing with manufacturer's warranty's so I figured it's time. I'm at a loss, or maybe I'm just not familair with some random BIOS setting or memory timing or something. A real kick to the jewels considering I work in I.T.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Any luck?
      You might have to do some digging to figure out which usb ports are which, especially if using the case ports.
      How old is the PSU?
      Weird issues with different mobos could be a sign of something out of whack with the PSU.

I've actually been on vacation and haven't had a chance to mess with it, but yes I was even getting crashes in the BIOS (though not as predictably).

I'll read through that thread, thanks! Yep, the motherboard was new, and has been replaced with an exchange of the same model. Still no dice. And with the exception of setting boot priorities, I didn't touch any BIOS settings for that very reason

Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      need to eliminate some possibility... can you run Memtest86 to test RAM

https://www.memtest86.com/

this tool install on USB flash drive and boot from there.
      I did not have an opportunity to run Memtest86. My gut tells me though that given it displays the same behavior which each stick individually in all 4 positions, it may not be the memory

Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      if system freeze even before boot into OS, disconnect all drive, take out videocard (you use intel CPU which has onchip GPU... and see if system freeze with UEFI enable

also try boot with ONE stick of RAM, run above RAM test with minimal setup

connect minimal USB stuff... only keyboard

ONe more thing, i see you had an Intel CPU (strange choice at this moment) and a model that doesn't come with a cooler. Which cool are you using?? Stupid question, come cooler will put a plastic film on the heatsink have you taken it off before install it on CPU??
      See above
      And why is Intel a strange choice at the moment? I know the Ryzen chips are all the rage, but Intel isn't what I would consider second rate... Generally speaking, they are tried and true.

How old is the PSU?

Ha ha, no worries. PSU is brand new and I swapped with a known good one out of my personal desktop. Same behavior...

CMOS battery? Just a another guess.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
      I thought about that too, but it's showing the same behavior on two individual motherboards...
      Last edited by x047x; Yesterday at 03:11 PM.

15. Member
      Cars
      2017 Hyundai Elantra SE
      Yesterday 04:58 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by x047x View Post
      Full disclosure, I just dropped this thing off at a local shop to have them put a second set of eyes on it and to bench test the memory and chip since I don't have spares to swap. I'm up against Newegg's 30 day return policy and which will be easier than dealing with manufacturer's warranty's so I figured it's time. I'm at a loss, or maybe I'm just not familair with some random BIOS setting or memory timing or something. A real kick to the jewels considering I work in I.T.

I've actually been on vacation and haven't had a chance to mess with it, but yes I was even getting crashes in the BIOS (though not as predictably).

I'll read through that thread, thanks! Yep, the motherboard was new, and has been replaced with an exchange of the same model. Still no dice. And with the exception of setting boot priorities, I didn't touch any BIOS settings for that very reason

I did not have an opportunity to run Memtest86. My gut tells me though that given it displays the same behavior which each stick individually in all 4 positions, it may not be the memory

See above
      And why is Intel a strange choice at the moment? I know the Ryzen chips are all the rage, but Intel isn't what I would consider second rate... Generally speaking, they are tried and true.

Ha ha, no worries. PSU is brand new and I swapped with a known good one out of my personal desktop. Same behavior...

I thought about that too, but it's showing the same behavior on two individual motherboards...
      Newest BIOS installed?
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Cars
      MKVII GTI
      Today 08:08 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      Newest BIOS installed?
      Tried to update the BIOS on the first motherboard (it was one revision out of date) and it *drumroll*

.... froze ....