VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Learn Me: Mercedes E320

619 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  DerSpiegel 
#1 ·
I'm looking to replace my Crown Vic by the end of August. Need something spacious , want AWD, so naturally looking at Subaru Wagons. The only problem is I've already owned 3 and want something different. I've noticed many of these Benzes for sale in the sub 3k range, with 4matic. I'm a decent mechanic, and have a large collection of tools, but I'd prefer not to use them constantly on a daily. So how good/bad are they?

See less See more
#4 ·
My parents had one for a while, 2wd. Never had any major issues with it, just valve cover gaskets and motor mounts replaced. Oil changes are kinda pricy because it takes 8.5 qts, so if you do you own I’d get a large drain pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
You should change the title to "W210 E320" to clarify, since there are the W124 and W211 E320 as well. All 4MATIC W210 E320's have the V6 and 5-speed automatic transmission, which seem to be reliable, but the W210 has rust and electrical issues.

1996 and 1997 W210 E320's (which never came with 4MATIC, IIRC) had the facelifted W124's I6.

#6 ·
Is your large collection of tools more geared towards fixing Subarus or Benzes?

Not that they need anything out of the ordinary, but they tend to use E-torx and triple squares liberally. With a Subaru you need only own 10, 12, and 14 mm varieties (well, and 19mm for the lugs)

The W210 you posted, I’d generally stay away from. They’re from the doldrums of Mercedes quality (they hit their low point around 2001-02) and they rust like crazy around here - virtually unheard of in a Benz until these came along. Oh and they’re getting on 20 years old.

A cheap AWD E46 3-series isn’t much better but that would be my pick.

#8 ·
Not that they need anything out of the ordinary, but they tend to use E-torx and triple squares liberally. With a Subaru you need only own 10, 12, and 14 mm varieties (well, and 19mm for the lugs)

A cheap AWD E46 3-series isn’t much better but that would be my pick.
I have a project E46 so I have the torx and external-torx bits and sockets. And since I have an E46 already, I'd like to get something else as a daily for vaiety's sake.

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.