Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Junior Member
      Cars
      2001 TTR 225
      07-11-2019 02:51 PM #1
      Just got the entire car repainted and quite happy. However, there is a small boo-boo on the part of the body shop. The door sill has a lot of over spray on it. Completely forgot to mask off, and spray came in the crack under the door. About a full inch is painted along the full length. The shop will make it right, but they are a little concerned about getting the paint off 18 year old plastic. And equally concerned about preventing damage to the plastic.

Thought I'd ask if anyone has faced this before and has any advice. I'd like to prevent a replacement of the sills.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2000 Audi TTQ "180hp", 2006 Duramax LBZ Crew Cab.
      07-11-2019 03:59 PM #2
      I would also be worried about anything that is strong enough to remove paint turning the plastic a white chalky color. Paint thinner or i really like aerosol brake parts cleaner to clean EVERYTHING. I use it in my house time to time even. I ALWAYS spray the rag, never the part.

Side note, what did a full respray cost you?
      Instagram @bigtrucklittlecar
      -2ltr bored and stroked. E85, HX35, 10.3:1 compression, 9K rpm, Water injection. -Build sold in 2017 over a throw out bearing.
      -Complete R32 swap into 2000 Audi TT Quattro. Touareg engine, 3 inch downpipe back exhaust, KN filter and all emissions deleted on a stock tune.

4. Junior Member
      Cars
      2001 TTR 225
      07-11-2019 04:44 PM #3
      I paid right at $2K at a small independent shop. This included some prep work on the hood to fix a prior botched (prior owner) quick fix of clear coat, fixing about a billion chips on on the front bumper, and a light sand of the whole car. I removed a fair amount of small trim myself - grills, antenna, side markers, etc, that can be time consuming, so that probably save me some money too.

For reference, I got some pretty high quotes from some large body shops - $5K plus. So it pays to shop around a bit. I got a good reference from a co worker that just put a V8 in a Volvo 240.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Cars
      03 TT225, 76 Dasher 16V
      07-15-2019 10:26 AM #4
      I will second the brake cleaner. Of course, trying a very small area.
      A friend of mine does a lot of plastic car model building. He uses brake cleaner for a paint remover on the styrene car bodies.
      Different material of course, but that's the first thing I'd try.

Do NOT use carb cleaner. Totally different.