Fourtitude.com - Globetrotters, tell me what I need to know about driving and renting in Yourup
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Cars
      '14 WRB Frontier, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      07-11-2019 03:42 PM #26
      Rented this little nugget in Germany last fall. Peugeot 2008, turbo diesel, 6-speed. Nice little urban cruiser. French cars don’t suck these days.

FS in CT: 2013 Mazda3 iTouring 6-speed hatchback - 122k miles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      07-11-2019 03:45 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      FYI we don’t intend on leaving France...
      Ah, we'll miss you.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

4. Member
      Cars
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      07-11-2019 04:35 PM #28
      FYI we don’t intend on leaving France...
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Ah, we'll miss you.
      Dibs on his s2k!

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      07-11-2019 04:56 PM #29
      I looked into the international driver's license before my trip that went through the Netherlands/Belgium/Germany. It appears somewhat hit or miss, but most countries only require it if your DL is from a country that doesn't use the Roman alphabet. I decided not to bother and it was not an issue. I'd check specifically for French rules.

Lance discipline is better, but I don't find driving in Europe particularly fun. Even the Autobahn tends to be pretty slow outside the de-restricted sections.

6. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it
      07-11-2019 05:01 PM #30
      No interest driving/parking/having a rental in Paris
      Probably wise. Paris is hilariously terrible to drive in. The trouble I had was that in Paris, they have all of these tunnels for traffic, with exits underground. So when you go into the tunnel, you lose your GPS signal and miss the exit. Buckets of fun.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      07-11-2019 05:08 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Probably wise. Paris is hilariously terrible to drive in. The trouble I had was that in Paris, they have all of these tunnels for traffic, with exits underground. So when you go into the tunnel, you lose your GPS signal and miss the exit. Buckets of fun.
      Pretty much any city of more than 5 million or so is going to be hell to drive in one way or another.

Cars
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      07-11-2019 05:17 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      ... Sights likes there were commonplace:

If sights like that are commonplace I'm HEADIN' TO FRANCE, BABY!!!!
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

9. Member
      Cars
      997 GTS
      07-11-2019 05:18 PM #33
      I've spent a lot of time driving in the EU and never had an issue with my regular drivers license. Now I've moved to Germany and my previous state (not all US states have this) has reciprocity with Germany so I'll only have to take the written exam, from what I've understood. The places I've driven (mostly Romania and Germany).. the road rules are the same and it's been easy for me to handle myself on the road. I have no issue getting rental cars with my US license. I've rented cars in the EU about 20x over the years and nobody at various rental car places says a word about it.

07-11-2019 06:11 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      If sights like that are commonplace I'm HEADIN' TO FRANCE, BABY!!!!
      Sorry to disappoint you, but you need to go considerable further north to find that particular sight.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      07-11-2019 06:21 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      My itinerary is something like, redeye on Wed, arrive on Thurs in Paris, get to Brittany via train and rental, wedding and beach on Fri/Sat/Sun, then car back to train station, return car, train to Paris, be wine drunk Mon/Tues/Wed before flying home.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

12. Member
      Cars
      2018 Volvo XC60
      07-11-2019 07:12 PM #36
      Having grown up in Europe (Netherlands, Belgium, France), France really isn’t any more or less difficult to drive in than other Western countries. Just pay attention to speed cameras and possibly highway tolls, although I doubt you’ll encounter those with your itinerary. Like others have said: don’t hog the left lane, and don’t be offended/surprised if you have someone behind you with their left blinker on for a long time, as that has traditionally been the way the French signal an intent to pass. Also, and this is important: unless otherwise indicated, traffic that comes from the right has the right of way.

Count on there being more pedestrians and people on scooters/mopeds/motorcycles than you’re used to, and count on them being fearless and split lanes whenever they can. They pretend you’re not there, so you should do the same—drive a little assertively.

It may all seem a little more chaotic, but there’s a method to the madness. In a city that may mean that everyone wants to be the quickest, and in the countryside that could mean that no one is in a hurry and just enjoying their day. As long as you’re able to adapt to the “mood” of the locals, you’ll be alright.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12