Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      2015 Fiesta ST, 97 Miata
      07-10-2019 09:12 PM #1
      My new house has a lot of 3 way switches, lights and receptacles. On one 3-way receptacle (controlled by 2 switches), when it was off, this nightlight would glow dimly. When I measured, I got 25v when off and 120v when on.

I checked another 3 way light switch on a different breaker, and on one traveler I got 120v, and the other I got 22v. When I flip the switch, they switch values.

I checked another 3 way light switch on a different breaker, and on one traveler I got 120v, and the other I got 0v. When I flip the switch, they switch values.

Is this an issue with one leg of my 240v service? I can try to check more and track to see if the breakers are all on one side. What should I check to further diagnose what is happening, and how can I fix it?

Also, with the power off to the receptacle, I was checking resistances and the neutral was 0.5ohm to ground. I don't know if that's relevant or not...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2015 Fiesta ST, 97 Miata
      07-11-2019 09:05 PM #2
      I've determined it's an induced or phantom voltage. Any load on it and it drops to zero. I would have never noticed except with the super low-power LED nightlite, it would dimly glow at 1.5v.

Apparently this happens with floating traveler lines run along the other traveler with 120v.

Cars
      C5 Z06
      07-12-2019 02:40 PM #3
      Are you saying the was a result of inductive reactance?