Fourtitude.com - 1.6 IDI Rod Weight Balancing
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      1983 Rabbit 2-Door Diesel LS 1.6L (JK) with AC - Sandstone Metallic (LE1Y)
      07-10-2019 12:03 AM #1
      I’ve got new pistons that are all within 1 gram of each other and the rods are all within 1 gram of each other except one that is 3 to 4 grams heavier. I plan to match that heaviest rod to the lightest piston. That one set should be 2-3 grams heavier than the others. Just for S&G, in which cylinder should I place the heaviest combo, assuming I won’t need to play magical chairs due to piston protrusion?

I’m just having fun here, I know I’m not building a race engine but my mind wanders sometimes and I keep thinking about reading how the #3 cylinder is usually beat down first and is often has the lowest compression when these old diesels get worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-10-2019 08:58 PM #2
      Yes, #3 gets the most heat due to oil routing/component.

Spend time and even out the weight on that one set.

I think a more important idea would be to put the intermediate shaft on a lathe and turn down the old gas fuel pump lobe and remove a bit of the actual shaft itself.

this was discussed on GTD forum like 12-13 years ago. At that time, had photos and all. Photos prob. gone now with greedy photobucket.

I will also state my usual advice/argument: that cylinder head porting on these diesels have benefits even if not turbocharging. Put a 1.75 inch tail pipe on the car along with liberal intake and exhaust porting. Ported engine runs cooler and happier, too.

I ported my first heads with nothing but a 3/8 drill and an extension to hold aluminum cutters. Now, I use more sophisticated Forman cutter. Just don't over heat the drill and keep the cutter moving all the time as you tend to work-harden the aluminum....esp. in Mexican heads.

You benefit by what you are willing to do. No free lunch.
      Last edited by Muldermutt; 07-10-2019 at 09:03 PM.
      If you need a 12 mm diesel head.....let me know. I am moving into the later ALH cars and have been hoarding several heads (solid and hydro) which have all been disassembled and cleaned.....most ported.

4. Member
      Cars
      1983 Rabbit 2-Door Diesel LS 1.6L (JK) with AC - Sandstone Metallic (LE1Y)
      07-11-2019 10:03 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Muldermutt View Post
      Yes, #3 gets the most heat due to oil routing/component.

Spend time and even out the weight on that one set.

I think a more important idea would be to put the intermediate shaft on a lathe and turn down the old gas fuel pump lobe and remove a bit of the actual shaft itself.

this was discussed on GTD forum like 12-13 years ago. At that time, had photos and all. Photos prob. gone now with greedy photobucket.

I will also state my usual advice/argument: that cylinder head porting on these diesels have benefits even if not turbocharging. Put a 1.75 inch tail pipe on the car along with liberal intake and exhaust porting. Ported engine runs cooler and happier, too.

I ported my first heads with nothing but a 3/8 drill and an extension to hold aluminum cutters. Now, I use more sophisticated Forman cutter. Just don't over heat the drill and keep the cutter moving all the time as you tend to work-harden the aluminum....esp. in Mexican heads.

You benefit by what you are willing to do. No free lunch.
      Thanks for the advice. I have a long list of modifications (winter projects) to work on. Including porting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk