Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      07-08-2019 11:45 AM #1
      I guess I never started a What Trips/Where Are You Travelling thread for this year.

Wife and I made some last-minute decisions and took a trip to Glacier over the long 4th weekend. I've always wanted to hit Glacier after the Going To The Sun Road opens after plowing, which is usually late June/early July. It opened June 22nd.

Surprisingly, the massive amount of snow was practically gone when we got there. The volunteers and rangers were a little surprised at how quick the snow melted.

The good news was the amount of wildflowers blooming, which brought down the bears. We saw a lot of bears in the few days we were there. Thunderstorms as well, unfortunately. Expecting 80-degree weather and it's raining and 70.

Wildlife seen:
      7 bears; likely black bears, some bears were too far away for positive ID
      1 weasel; stole a ground squirrel's baby out of the den
      7+ mountain goats
      2 deer
      1 coyote
      1 red fox

The only animals we didn't see that we usually do were bighorn sheep and elk.

Overall, early season is much better than later season for wildlife. Crowds suck, though.

Our annual summer vacation plans are up in the air. We have a plan, but that might be out the window since our usual travel buddies have thrown their plans out the window. May entail Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Grand Tetons... dunno for sure yet.
      Making people aware of the Dunning-Kruger affliction. If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious

SRT_______________________________________________ ___________SRT

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      07-09-2019 11:13 AM #2
      I ended up canceling my trip to France for World Cup (people I was going with canceled, and I just bought a house so I couldn't really justify the costs). So for a small cheap trip, I decided to go to Kennedy Space Center to watch the night launch of the Falcon Heavy.

I need good trip for next year. Better start saving.

4. Member
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      07-09-2019 04:53 PM #3
      So far in 2019:

Hiked 38 miles of the Smokies over 3.5 days the first week in March
      Spent 3 nights with the wife in Miami beach (had AA and Hilton points, flights and hotel gratis) in April
      Took the wife and 3 girls to North Myrtle Beach for 4 days over Spring Break. Saw a Caps playoff game on the way.
      Just spent 13 days with the whole family in Vegas, Zion National park (hiked Angels landing and The Narrows), Bryce National Park (hiked the trail down into the canyon), Sedona (hiked Bell Rock) and the south rim of the GC (hiked the South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge). Epic family trip.
      Headed to Munich and Salzburg in late August after the kids are back in school to catch up with family, hike in Austria and begin the process of selling some land.
      Plus one more long weekend trip to the Blue Ridge in November. (Banner Elk, NC)
      Then a lot of Clemson football weekends with my son.

Busy, but fun year!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Our annual summer vacation plans are up in the air. We have a plan, but that might be out the window since our usual travel buddies have thrown their plans out the window. May entail Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Grand Tetons... dunno for sure yet.
      Re: Yellowstone (if you are staying in the Lodge or local hotels) you have to book a year in advance. Even dinners at the Lodge require a 6 month advance reservation.
      Last edited by tbvvw; 07-09-2019 at 04:55 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      07-09-2019 05:19 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post

Re: Yellowstone (if you are staying in the Lodge or local hotels) you have to book a year in advance. Even dinners at the Lodge require a 6 month advance reservation.
      we have reservations at one of the campgrounds, so we're good. we've planned our vacation, but we're switching it up. and I know a website that gives locations of campsites that are outside the normal fare, if worse came to worse.
      Making people aware of the Dunning-Kruger affliction. If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious

SRT_______________________________________________ ___________SRT

7. Member
      Cars
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      07-10-2019 11:15 AM #5
      My wife and I took our kiddos on a trip up MN's north shore of Lake Superior. It's our absolute favorite place to go. We rented a nice modern cabin with her parents. We went to a couple of the local beaches and the kids had a blast throwing rocks into Lake Superior. We spent some time at Gooseberry Falls as well.

We decided that in order to go back up north with any frequency will require some changes because it gets spendy to rent lodging. It's also becoming difficult because of how far in advance things need to be booked so we are going to go on our first family camping trip up there this fall.

Cars
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      07-10-2019 04:12 PM #6
      Early June did a motorcycle ride with a neighbor from Metro Detroit to Duluth and then around the north shore of Lake Superior back to the lower part of the Mitten and did the Tunnel of Trees (M-119) then home (Videos below).
      Late June GF and I went to the U.P. for a day to visit a few waterfalls and take the Pictured Rocks Boat Cruise, then up into Canada for Sand River Falls near Wawa, Ontario (Videos below).
      Early September, doing a solo motorcycle trip to western Virginia to photograph a few waterfalls (Cascade Falls, Straight Branch Falls, Devil's Bathtub), then Duck, NC (Outer Banks), visit family near Raleigh then down to South Carolina and visit some friends near Greenville, then up to Tail of The Dragon and a stop at cousins gravesite in the military cemetery south of Lexington, KY.
      December - last 2 weeks in Florida kicking back getting ready for another Michigan winter.

2020 maybe Utah / National Parks or back to Glacier to see the western side of the park since we weren't able to last do to wildfires.