Fourtitude.com - New 2019 Kona Electric Initial Impressions
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      06-26-2019 02:44 PM #26
      Excellent purchase!

I often contemplate another EV, as the way they drive is simply other-worldly. The range is good now too.

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 13 Altima | 00 Tahoe | 94 Integra GS-R | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2017 Chevy Bolt, 2012 E93 BMW M3
      06-26-2019 03:03 PM #27
      OP you must loooove the Kona to pay that lease price. As a comparison I leased a Bolt on a 3/45 lease with $0 driveoff at $314 with tax. That's a huge jump for a marginally better car.

Cars
      Audi e-Tron, BMW X3, and a Toyota appiiance
      06-26-2019 03:12 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      OP you must loooove the Kona to pay that lease price. As a comparison I leased a Bolt on a 3/45 lease with $0 driveoff at $314 with tax. That's a huge jump for a marginally better car.
      But OP is not in California. I was quoted $740 a month for 3/36 lease with $0 drive off for a Bolt LT (not even a Premier). And that's not counting $20 extra a month for property taxes we have to pay in TX. So, $760 a month for a...Bolt.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

06-26-2019 03:22 PM #29
      You must have received one hell of a deal, because GM is not currently offering anything close to that near me for a loaded Bolt. I was quoted nearly $700 including taxes per month on a 48 month lease.

The best deal I can find on their site is for the base LT model with $6k due at signing (39 months and 32,500 miles) at $449 per month plus taxes. That's about $500 per month for a less powerful car with thousands more money down, and significantly less feature content. Pass.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

6. 06-26-2019 03:30 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      So that's like 13 EV owners on TCL now? Have we reached critical mass yet?
      It's official: we have reached the tipping point.

Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

7. Member
      Cars
      06-26-2019 03:42 PM #31
      I don't know. Just went on leasehackr and the deals seem similar to when I leased in 11/17.

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/rate-...rebones/126060

8. Member
      Cars
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      06-26-2019 03:44 PM #32
      I don't know. Just went on leasehackr and the deals seem similar to when I leased in 11/17.

again, depending on your market your deals may vary widely. No way I'd be able to match that here

06-26-2019 04:28 PM #33

I'm always amazed at how widely the lease numbers can vary, but yeah, I had been looking casually at the Bolt for 2 years now and I have never seen leases that low in my region. The lease deal I posted a screenshot of in my prior post is straight from Chevrolet's website.

Trust me, I was hoping for another $300/mo lease, but they don't seem to give those deals outside of CA and maybe a few other select markets. It's sadly just not a reality for us here in Nevada.

Love one another

Cars
      Audi e-Tron, BMW X3, and a Toyota appiiance
      06-26-2019 05:03 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      again, depending on your market your deals may vary widely. No way I'd be able to match that here
      Me: I got a great deal on BMW 330i lease

TFL: How much?

Me: $115 a month with $0 DAS, 12k miles/36 months

TFL: You got ripped.

*Insert Ned Stark's 'TFL is coming' meme here*

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

11. Member
      Cars
      06-26-2019 06:56 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      Me: I got a great deal on BMW 330i lease

TFL: How much?

Me: $115 a month with $0 DAS, 12k miles/36 months

TFL: You got ripped.

*Insert Ned Stark's 'TFL is coming' meme here*

Well the rule of thumb on a lease is a good deal is $100 per $10,000 of MSRP. So $115 is great.

07-01-2019 04:12 PM #36
      Just a quick update:

So far I've been thoroughly impressed with the range. Granted, it's been warm out but even with the AC on in the afternoon I've been getting in the realm of 290 miles per charge. It's hard to figure exactly because I don't run the battery all the way down to zero.

My biggest complaint so far is road noise. On grooved concrete highways this thing can get boomy. I'm thinking of switching to these tires and selling the craptastic OEM Nexens. https://www.wired.com/story/bridgest...iettrack-tire/

Last edited by BLK9GEN; 07-01-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Love one another

Cars
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      07-01-2019 06:22 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      Just a quick update:

So far I've been thoroughly impressed with the range. Granted, it's been warm out but even with the AC on in the afternoon I've been getting in the realm of 290 miles per charge. It's hard to figure exactly because I don't run the battery all the way down to zero.
      Does the Kona offer a remote start or a timered pre-conditioning while on a charger?

One of my coworkers drives a Bolt, he uses preconditioning here in soupy-humid SC to reduce his AC energy consumption on the drive home.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

07-01-2019 07:18 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Does the Kona offer a remote start or a timered pre-conditioning while on a charger?

One of my coworkers drives a Bolt, he uses preconditioning here in soupy-humid SC to reduce his AC energy consumption on the drive home.
      It does indeed. The app is called MyHyundai and it works quite well. I haven't used it to pre-cool or heat the car yet aside from just testing that it works. It will work even if the car is not plugged in unlike our Soul EV, which kind of defeats the purpose if you're trying to maximize your range, but is nice when you're out and about and not connected to a charger and don't want to get into a hot/cold car.

Functionally the app works very well and is worlds quicker than the app that comes comes with our Kia Soul, but the graphics/design is hot garbage. It looks cheesy and dated compared to the Tesla app - no huge shock there. What really gets me though is that they show a pic of a non-color matched gasoline Kona.

Last edited by BLK9GEN; 07-01-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Love one another

15. 07-01-2019 07:20 PM #39
      I got excited until I realized at least in Canada the Kona electric costs 2x as much as a standard Kona, kinda makes it a pointless endeavor.

Cars
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      07-01-2019 07:39 PM #40
      It does indeed. The app is called MyHyundai and it works quite well. I haven't used it to pre-cool or heat the car yet aside from just testing that it works. It will work even if the car is not plugged in unlike our Soul EV, which kind of defeats the purpose if you're trying to maximize your range, but is nice when you're out and about and not connected to a charger and don't want to get into a hot/cold car.

Functionally the app works very well and is worlds quicker than the app that comes comes with our Kia Soul, but the graphics/design is hot garbage.
      Good to know!

Does that require an active Bluelink subscription, or is it part of the car purchase?
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Cars
      2020 Tesla Model 3 LR Dual Motor
      07-01-2019 07:40 PM #41
      The Chevy version of the app was a godsend during the winters.

18. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      07-01-2019 07:52 PM #42
      Just a quick update:

My biggest complaint so far is road noise. On grooved concrete highways this thing can get boomy. I'm thinking of switching to these tires and selling the craptastic OEM Nexens.
      Like most manufacturers they probably place low rolling resistance tires on your car. Quieter tires will probably cost you a little range but if the noise is that bad they might be worth it. I'd still roll with the original rubber as long as they last since tires don't come cheap.

07-01-2019 09:39 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Good to know!

Does that require an active Bluelink subscription, or is it part of the car purchase?
      Indeed it does. All new Hyundai's now come with a 3 year subscription which is at least better than my 2016 Tucson that only came with 3 months.

Love one another

20. Senior Member
      In a minivan by the river with a squirrel and rat
      Cars
      grey ghost wagon
      07-01-2019 09:44 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      So that's like 13 EV owners on TCL now? Have we reached critical mass yet?

I think it's more like 16, my EV runs off of fermented dinosaurs. Sinclair fueling stations predicted our now! (green dinosaur mascots if you didn't know).
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯

07-01-2019 09:48 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by tejlab View Post
      I got excited until I realized at least in Canada the Kona electric costs 2x as much as a standard Kona, kinda makes it a pointless endeavor.
      I do not disagree that EVs are still pricey relative to their very similar gas equivalents, but there are various tax incentives to help offset some of that. Unfortunately there is no getting around the significant cost of big battery packs. The Kona is the longest range non-Tesla EV for sale so at least there is a that.

Still, if you're looking to save money a hybrid is a much better option. The hybrid Kona is on the way FYI. You'd have to keep the Kona Electric a looooong time to actually save any money. At least it comes with a lifetime battery warranty should anyone want to keep it for the long haul.

For me I didn't get th Kona to impress anyone (obviously) or save money. I got it because I simply loved the driving experience. EVs are great commuter cars. At 5000' above sea level where I am at it's quicker than most other cars/trucks on the road. All that instant torque makes merging and passing a breeze. And the lack of NVH is really stress-reducing after a long day at the office.

Last edited by BLK9GEN; 07-01-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Love one another

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      07-02-2019 08:32 AM #46
      Being in a CAFE state, I thought I'd try to figure out what one of these would cost me...

Here in Vermont, the Hyundai would be eligible for the full $7500 Federal Tax Credit.

Power Company Incentives:
      Green Mountain Power is offering electric car incentives, including $1,500 for a new all-electric vehicle, $1,000 for a new plug-in hybrid, or $750 for a used electric car (either all-electric or plug-in hybrid). The first 150 low-to-moderate income customers getting a new or used all-electric vehicle will also qualify for an additional $1,000 rebate. These incentives are available for customers purchasing or leasing electric cars with a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) under $50,000. Interested customers are encouraged to visit GMP's EV rebate page for additional details.

GMP also offers customers free Level 2 (240 Volt) charging equipment with a new electric vehicle purchase. Existing electric car owners can obtain Level 2 equipment from GMP for a $9.99 monthly fee. Visit their in-home charging page for more details.
      It still winds up being a lot more than I've ever paid for a car, but there are certainly incentives. left for Hyundai buyers.

Cars
      07-02-2019 08:40 AM #47
      And if you want to jump down the Youtube rabbit hole...

Looks like an excellent car.

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      07-02-2019 09:20 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      Like most manufacturers they probably place low rolling resistance tires on your car. Quieter tires will probably cost you a little range but if the noise is that bad they might be worth it. I'd still roll with the original rubber as long as they last since tires don't come cheap.
      I would store the OEM tires and put them back on before turning the car in at the end of the lease.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Cars
      07-02-2019 10:57 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I would store the OEM tires and put them back on before turning the car in at the end of the lease.
      This /\/\/\

26. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      07-02-2019 01:48 PM #50
      My biggest complaint so far is road noise. On grooved concrete highways this thing can get boomy. I'm thinking of switching to these tires and selling the craptastic OEM Nexens.
      I'd highly recommend the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus for any EV. $140 for your car at Tire Rack. I have them on my Focus and they are very quiet along with low rolling resistance, perfectly suiting the car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast