Fourtitude.com - New 2019 Kona Electric Initial Impressions
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      06-25-2019 06:37 PM #1
      I picked up a new Kona Electric Ultimate about a week ago and so far I love it. This is our second EV (we also have a 2017 Soul EV) and replaced my 2016 Tucson. The range has been outstanding so far. Easily eclipsing the EPA range by about 10% (around 280 miles according to the GOM). The range is truly impressive for this class.

For the record I very nearly went the Tesla Model 3 route. I was excited to support an American car company for once, but the horror stories I've been hearing about parts back orders for even minor repairs gave me pause. As did the unwanted negative attention from the anti-EV crowd and higher insurance premiums. The Kona blends in with the gas variant and unless someone looked closely they would never guess it wasn't a typical run of the mill ICE car. That suits me just fine. Then there was the fact that I prefer a hatch body style to that of a sedan with a trunk. I won't lie, it was a tough decision in the end even with the 3's flaws. It's a great car if you want a techy, low riding sport sedan.

In any case, let me know if you guys have any questions about the Kona. I believe there are a few of us weirdo EV enthusiasts on here.

General highlights:

Holy torque steer Batman! (In a good/fun way - it just needs better tires)

Surprisingly firm ride in the city, but smooths out nicely on the highway

Seats are quite comfortable and the cooling/ventilation works better than any car I've had with this feature including my old Lexus GS

Back seat leg room is tight for anyone over 5'6 or so (not an issue for us as the only occupant of our back seat is our Boston Terrier).

Adaptive cruise control works very well. The steering assist slightly less so. It's definitely not Tesla autopilot, but it's great for commuting.

The artificial noise this thing emits at low speeds to warn pedestrians is tad bit annoying and I wish I could turn it off.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

06-25-2019 06:44 PM #2
      Nice! I'll be interested in hearing how that light colored interior wears.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Cars
      Audi S3, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      06-25-2019 06:44 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      I think you are the first one to get the Kona EV in TCL. Congratulations!

And don't forget to post on your ride on TCL EV Registry.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ctric+Registry
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 06-25-2019 at 06:48 PM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

06-25-2019 06:47 PM #4
      The artificial noise this thing emits at low speeds to warn pedestrians is tad bit annoying and I wish I could turn it off.
      Or modify it: *DING* Hey you, yeah YOU, what are you deaf? Get outta the muthafrackin way! *DING*
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      06-25-2019 06:47 PM #5
      Congrats on the car!

I wonder how's the lease on these things...

Cars
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      06-25-2019 06:55 PM #6
      Congrats!

If they brought an AWD one of these, I would consider it right away. FWD not so bad in this segment but sounds like it would help with the torque steer as well.

Cars
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      06-25-2019 07:09 PM #7
      So that's like 13 EV owners on TCL now? Have we reached critical mass yet?

Cars
      F30, RX-8 R3 (sold), Tesla Model 3
      06-25-2019 08:36 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      Congrats!

If they brought an AWD one of these, I would consider it right away. FWD not so bad in this segment but sounds like it would help with the torque steer as well.
      Not unless they run the drive system off a single motor. Most electric AWD systems thus far are dual motors.

10. 06-25-2019 09:00 PM #9
      That looks really sharp - I dig the color combination!

For the record I very nearly went the Tesla Model 3 route. I was excited to support an American car company for once, but the horror stories I've been hearing about parts back orders for even minor repairs gave me pause. As did the unwanted negative attention from the anti-EV crowd and higher insurance premiums.
      I know exactly what you are talking about! I would really like to pick up a Model 3, but even I will admit that the negative press gets to be a downer after a while. I think this means that the terrorists are winning!

The Kona blends in with the gas variant and unless someone looked closely they would never guess it wasn't a typical run of the mill ICE car. That suits me just fine. Then there was the fact that I prefer a hatch body style to that of a sedan with a trunk. I won't lie, it was a tough decision in the end even with the 3's flaws. It's a great car if you want a techy, low riding sport sedan.
      I hear you on blending in with gas versions. There are plenty of EV and hybrid haters in my region of diesel trucks, so having a vehicle that is not easily identifiable as a 'greenie' is appreciated. Only the most acute eye would notice that my srappy Fiat is fully electric, or my wife's floaty luxo-barge is really a 40 mpg hybrid. The funny thing is that I just simply enjoy technology, as well as not buying gas. The overall efficiency factor is cool, although I would glad give up some efficiency to drive a 4 mi/kW Model 3 AWD.
      2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, Absolutely Red/Black, 5spd
      2005 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Quartz, Sportshift
      2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat/Light Dune, Reserve +Technology
      2016 Fiat 500e, Electric Orange Tri-Coat Pearl/Black - I live life 84 miles at a time!

Cars
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      06-25-2019 09:42 PM #10
      These things are just fugly.

12. Member
      Cars
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      06-25-2019 10:21 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      don't tell CTK!

I really like the kona EV. I think the koreans are still tops right now for battery efficiency, and I like their packaging a lot. if the TM3P didn't exist, I wouldn't hesitate to pick the kona (Yes, I know the tesla is almost 2x the cost of the kona, but if I'm buying a new EV it's gonna be the fast one).

keep us updated on how you like it going forward. I think these 2nd gen cars will really hold their value better baring some revolution in efficiency and/or home charging.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      06-25-2019 10:37 PM #12
      Very cool, looking forward to your updates!

There’s a white one I’ve noticed a few times locally. The stippling on the front always catches my eye.

06-26-2019 12:33 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      These things are just fugly.
      I was waiting for this comment. It's cool. Not everyone likes the same thing I get that. I happen to be the type of weirdo that finds beauty in cars like the BMW i3.

To my eye the Kona looks less boring than the Niro, less awkwardly proportioned than the Bolt, and fairly equal to the Leaf. I also considered the Leaf, but aspects of the interior killed it for me (the Nissan is perhaps the only car above $30k without a telescoping steering wheel). Not to mention Nissan's lack of any sort of proper battery thermal management. They are falling behind quickly.

Love one another

Cars
      2016 MkVII e-Golf: end of lease; 2015 MkVII TDI, 2017 MkVII Golf Alltrack, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-26-2019 06:11 AM #14
      Great, and good luck with it. I would be most interested in any battery performance loss over the years.

<<2.0T_Convert >>

I leased my EV Golf more than three years ago, and so did many other VWVortex posters buy / lease electric cars at that time. I think we were way beyond 13 in 2016...
      After incessant complaints from a to z, I am now calling all of my characters "special."

Cars
      Audi S3, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      06-26-2019 11:21 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      Congrats on the car!

I wonder how's the lease on these things...
      I can guarantee you that it's better than $740 a month that I was quoted on a Chevy Bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      13 EV owners? I think it's more like Dawg-Dee-Luxe and BLK9GEN and that's it.
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 06-26-2019 at 11:25 AM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

17. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      06-26-2019 11:24 AM #16
      Congrats! If this had been out when we bought the Bolt, we would have seriously considered it. I’ll be very curious to hear about your ownership impressions.

Cars
      2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
      06-26-2019 11:52 AM #17
      I'd take this over a Model 3 any day. I'd say it was a good call.
      Nirvana.

19. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      06-26-2019 12:13 PM #18
      Nice pick up. If I were going to pick up an EV, right now this would be it.

For the past 10 years or so it seems like EVs have been treated as a design problem as much as an engineering problem. It's a new tech, but at the end of the day, don't people just want cars? I love that my Dad's 530e looks like a 5er, and that this Kona EV looks like a Kona.

I mean, imagine if we collectively decided that all fuel-injected cars had to look unique, or all turbocharged ones? TBH I don't see how EVs are any different from that--it's next-gen tech.

Cars
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      06-26-2019 01:13 PM #19
      I was waiting for this comment. It's cool. Not everyone likes the same thing I get that. I happen to be the type of weirdo that finds beauty in cars like the BMW i3.

To my eye the Kona looks less boring than the Niro, less awkwardly proportioned than the Bolt, and fairly equal to the Leaf. I also considered the Leaf, but aspects of the interior killed it for me (the Nissan is perhaps the only car above $30k without a telescoping steering wheel). Not to mention Nissan's lack of any sort of proper battery thermal management. They are falling behind quickly.

New Soul EV is better looking and far more practical.

21. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      06-26-2019 01:17 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      New Soul EV is better looking and far more practical.
      Didn't your parents ever teach you the adage, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."? No? Allow me to be the first then.

Seriously dude. Do you just live to **** on other people's car purchases?

22. Member
      Cars
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      06-26-2019 02:22 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Didn't your parents ever teach you the adage, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."? No? Allow me to be the first then.

Seriously dude. Do you just live to **** on other people's car purchases?
      This. So much this.

Also - the Soul EV won't be out until 2020, so it's currently a hypothetical alternative.

OP - Congrats on the Kona EV! I've really enjoyed driving them; it's quite a bit of fun. I wish I could get the heated wheel on the mid-level trim...

Tom

23. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      06-26-2019 02:25 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post

Congrats on the purchase OP.

Cars
      2014 CX-5 AWD, '95 Miata
      06-26-2019 02:30 PM #23
      Congrats! What is your mix of city/highway driving? I'd like to get an EV as our next vehicle and my wife likes the Kona, so this has piqued my interest. Both of us have a ~90 mile round trip commute, but it's almost all highway for both of us. I'm not sure if we'd maximize the benefits of EV ownership without having more city driving on a daily basis.

06-26-2019 02:48 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by gmeover View Post
      Congrats! What is your mix of city/highway driving? I'd like to get an EV as our next vehicle and my wife likes the Kona, so this has piqued my interest. Both of us have a ~90 mile round trip commute, but it's almost all highway for both of us. I'm not sure if we'd maximize the benefits of EV ownership without having more city driving on a daily basis.
      About 60% city and 40% highway.

The aerodynamics of the Kona make this tons more efficient on the highway than our Soul EV. The car had to be delivered across state lines to Nevada to avoid CA sales tax. The total distance of this trip was 160 miles with an average speed of 55-60 mph and an approx. 6500' elevation climb. It still had 90 miles on the GOM after the trip.

In mild weather and with city driving this should be capable of 300 miles. The best we ever got with our Soul after considerable effort was 124 miles. If anything they are underrating the performance for some reason. Owners are getting better than advertised range and 0-60 times.

Love one another

26. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      06-26-2019 03:13 PM #25
      I wish we were allowed to buy these in flyover country. Hyundai corporate just gives us the finger instead and doesn't want my money. I know someone here who was dedicated enough to go to Maryland for a Niro EV and pay full sticker price plus a small markup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast