Fourtitude.com - Mushy start from complete stop
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 06-25-2019 10:34 AM #1
      Hi, all.

In the 2006-2009 timeframe, I had a Jetta TDI pkg2 DSG and loved it. Our family grew, so we sold it and bought a minivan. Anyway, a couple weeks ago, I bought a used 2013 Jetta TDI w/ DSG, and expected to love it.

Something is different here, with this new transmission, and I'm not able to drive it as well as I could the older one. The difference is more than the new 2-second "hill hold" or whatever it's called. Once I get moving, things are fine (D mode, S mode, manual mode, it's all good). The problem is when I'm starting from a complete stop, and the best way I can describe it is "mushy." It's like the car can't figure out what I want to do. It's very tentative and indecisive as it starts out. If I punch hard on the go pedal, it's faster about its decision, but it's still mushy. I seems like it revs higher than it should at start, and it slips the clutch a lot longer than it should. Again, once we're moving and into 2nd gear (or higher), things are great.

I don't have any jerkiness during launch that others are reporting, I only have this mushiness/indecision from the trans.

Our 2006 was really fast to get fully engaged into 1st gear. Sure there was a minor backslide on hills (I miss that), but the car got into 1st really quickly, and then did what it should.

I guess that's the summary: the new-to-me 2013 Jetta takes longer than it should before it is fully engaged into 1st gear.

Is this normal?

On another subject (or maybe not), I'm not getting the fuel econony I expected out of this car: I'm getting around 25 mpg city. Maybe that's related to the comment about high revs.

Thoughts?

Edited to add: Maybe I do have some of that jerkiness, but that's rare for me, and it seems to be related to the amount of time I was stopped or that I had to quickly change the input I give on the go-pedal. If I'm accelerating quickly and then I let off, it jerks up a gear or 2, and I don't think I can cast blame on the car for what I see there. Otherwise, it's very smooth.
      Last edited by eagle243; 06-25-2019 at 10:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      06-26-2019 02:35 AM #2
      Could be the diesel fix, or could be the DSG fuzzy logic. If you have access to a VCDS, I recommend changing out your fluids and do a complete reset. Drive it for a few weeks and see if things improve. Just make sure you use a compliant oil and good filters. I used Rowe DCG #25305 and it's been great. At only $11.87/liter, I plan to change it every 20k or so.

It takes a while for the transmission to re-adapt after you reset it. Could be faster if you perform a specific test drive, but it's overly complicated. It took me about 3 weeks of normal driving before my 2013 DSG became smooth again... with much less hesitation from a dead stop.

4. 06-26-2019 10:08 AM #3
      Thanks for the note. I don't have personal access to VCDS, but I know people who do, and I'll have the DSG reset.

I'm probably being overly critical, but I remember absolutely loving the transmission 10 years ago when I had the 06.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 06-27-2019 06:55 PM #4
      I've been paying more attention to this over the last few days, and it is not over-revving, and it also is not slipping the clutch. It's that I need to push the go pedal for a long time before it decides to start going, and then there's a huge power surge as everything comes online. This delayed-then-surging throttle response is only during a launch from a dead stop -- at all other times while driving, it acts exactly as it should.

The power surge comes partly because I keep pushing the go pedal down farther as I normally would from a dead stop, in order to increase speed.

The problem isn't the hill hold (that does release as soon as I push the go pedal), it just doesn't go right at first.

7. Member
      07-02-2019 02:41 AM #5
      Oh yes, the dreaded delayed throttle response. It's the only thing that I hate about my '13 DSG.

I plan to get one of those pedal tuner boxes (BMS Pedal Tuner) and give it a try. Do some research on pedal tuner boxes, pedal commander, etc. and decide for yourself.

8. 07-30-2019 11:48 PM #6
      Yes, I have done more research and have paid more attention to it, and it is clearly some sort of throttle delay. I see the RPMs increase, but the cat just doesn't move.

I did take it to a local shop to have Hill Hold disabled, and that helped make the car much more drivable, but I still need to figure out about the throttle delay. I may end up with a chip tune from APR or Malone, as both of them say that their chip tune does away with the dreaded throttle delay.