VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

G90...Nice

6K views 74 replies 29 participants last post by  Turbo II 
#1 · (Edited)
Enjoy.

Versus S Class...

I don't expect anyone to understand Korean, but this gives a good non-brand marketing presentation...

Walk around video...

See less See more
4 1
#7 ·
The last thing I would want to be driven around in if I was wealthy is a Hyundai...sorry man, I know you're trying to prove a point but the S-Class is so much nicer and doesn't look like a fake Rolex.

#8 ·
I'm not trying to prove anything. Simply pointing out how nice this car is. Actual quality has nothing to do with the badge on the car. You look at the design, parts, and sum thereof. You have no idea how nice this car, but you assume the S Class is nicer. Open your mind. There are new players in the game now.

#16 · (Edited)
That front grill oozes wealth and class.

I'm sure you can also use it to grill kebabs on your next road trip. These Korean engineers are very good.

#22 ·
I never understood that. The new Genesis cars are no worse in quality than it's German counterparts. Or how some people say they wouldn't want to make a deal in a KIA dealership on a K900 next to someone sitting next desk over trying to buy a base Optima with their subpar credit. Who cares? I'm worried about what I'm buying, who gives a f what the other person is buying or what sorts of credit they have? What is even wierder is that nothing seems to bother anyone when buying a Corvette that's standing right next to a Spark on the lot, totally fine, but when you get to K900 or Genesis, God forbid there is an Accent or Optima next to it. People seem to want to have dealerships for each model od the car.

#33 ·
We seem to get this same debate every so often. Hyundai/Kia/Genesis have come a long way, and their products are every good as their respective competition's. Certainly some excel at specific areas, but whereas they were once the entry level "I want a new car for $15k instead of buying a better, but used car for the same price," they are now and have been for a some time a legit offering.

They still present some of the best value given the features available. And when comparing their emerging EVs like the Kona and Niro, they're offering some of the best range for a relatively moderate price.

The issue with them all is perhaps they don't exceed in any one area, so it's hard to latch onto them with some level of passion. That will perhaps change with the N versions, and with offerings like the Genesis G70.

#43 ·
Gotta give Hyundai credit for at least keeping Acura, Infiniti and Lexus looking over their shoulders, perhaps the domestics too.

#53 ·
As nice as that sounds how sustainable is this if Genesis joins the big leagues with thousands of vehicles sold each month?

Once each dealership has to handle complimentary maintenance for hundreds of vehicles per week the logistics sounds like a nightmare. The rollout of physical Genesis locations probably means the phase out no dealership visits.

#55 ·
Hyundai dealerships still wreak of used car salesmen tactics. They will say they can price match a competitor's price, but when you show up, they say no way can they match that, but let's take a look at some other beauties. :banghead:

When you are signing papers, they quickly shuffle them around and when you say, "Hey why does that say this vehicle might have damage that has been repaired. What's that all about?" They quickly try to change the subject. :screwy:

Koreans have a long way to go. They can copy other's on design and quality, but service-wise, they are still stuck in the 80s where they try to make a quick sale.

Make no mistake, the dealerships are all following the mother ships orders.

#57 ·
I can't say I've ever had that experience with my local Hyundai dealership. Totally opposite of what you are describing. It seems that you are generalizing you experience for how every Hyundai dealership is, and that is unfair. There are good and bad dealerships for each make, but you can't say all of them are bad.

#58 ·
These huge conservative looking sedans are irrelevant relics... only the S-Class matters in this segment. The few remaining people still interested in such vehicles who aren't chaebol execs wouldn't be caught dead in a damn Hyundai.

Genesis needs some damn crossovers. G70 is the only sedan the brand needs.

#62 ·
It could be, IF Genesis figures out how to convince dealer chains to open stand alone stores that are on a par with the client experience customers get at Lexus.

Right now that seems tenuous at best. Our local Genesis showrooms are still in/next to the Hyundai dealer and share staff.

Direct at your home sales and service pick up/drop off can help, but part of the Lexus brand is built on their stores.

#63 · (Edited)
^ The initial plan was for a 100-strong Genesis dealer network (too few in #) w/ stand-alone stores.

But the Hyundai dealers being left out revolted and certain state franchise laws prohibits Genesis from forcing those acquiring a Genesis franchise to build a separate store (Lincoln has been having the same issue).

The volume franchises will likely eventually build-out a separate dealer, but likely won't happen until at least 2 of the 3 planned CUVs hit the lots.

For the smaller operations, should at least build or renovate a separate building for Genesis, even if share the same lot and service bays.

Don't see the latter being such a big deal as BMW and Mini usually share the same lot and service bays, as do MB, SMART and MB's commercial van business.

There are a few Toyota and Lexus dealerships that share the same service center/bays and know of 1 Kia dealership that is on the same lot as an Audi dealership.

This will take some time, but the more pressing need is to finish development of the CUVs and get them to the lots.

Lexus stores haven't exactly been helping their RWD sedan sales.

W/o the RX, NX, ES and now the UX - Lexus sales would be like Acura sedan sales.

No doubt having nice/separate facilities would help, but it's no guarantee of success (product is still #1).

It's going to be a tough road for the new entrant, but think they can carve out a niche (having RWD CUVs separates them from the Japanese).

#65 · (Edited)
^ Sure, they are late, but that doesn't mean they can't succeed.

There's a market for RWD CUVs for those who don't want to pay MB and BMW prices.

Kia was late to the 7-8 seater/3-row CUV segment w/ the Telluride and they can't keep them in stock (and suspect Hyundai will find a similar experience when they launch the Palisade here).

We'll see soon enough after a few months of Aviator sales (if Lincoln has success, would bode well for Genesis).

Here's a modeling done of the upcoming GV80 that looks more accurate than most renders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4b1ueNiZB8

#67 · (Edited)
You mean the Lincoln design language that has been changed numerous times this past decade until it settled on the design language established by the Continental concept - which, was publicly lambasted for copying by Bentley's designers (only the 2nd time a brand has been publicly called out for copying by another - the other being Lexus by Mercedes).

Funny enough, those Bentley designers (Luc Donckerwolke and Sangyup Lee) are now at Hyundai where Donckerwolke oversees design for Genesis/Hyundai/Kia (basically took over for Peter Schreyer) and Lee being the head of Hyundai design.

Genesis' lead designer is Alexander Selipanov who used to be the lead designer for Bugatti.

Personally, like the design of the Aviator, but depending on how the details work out, may like the GV80 a little better.

How do you know what the GV80 looks like since few people have seen what the final production version looks like; plus the design of the GV80 and new G80 is pretty different fro the design of the G70 and current G80.

Nonetheless, both the Aviator and GV80 are head and shoulders above something like the abomination that is the RX (not that the FWD RX would be a direct competitor).

While there is some overlap, there are buyers who favor domestic brands and others who favor imports.

Nonetheless, the Aviator should still be a good gauge of how a RWD lux CUV (that isn't BMW or MB) fares against the sea of FWD lux crossovers.

Considering that for much of its existence, the Genesis sedan/G80 was the 3rd best selling RWD midsize/lux sedan, the GV80 will do fine if achieves that level of success.

#69 ·
Regarding the GV80... I was going off the video you posted. That looks pretty production ready. Perhaps with colors it will look better but as is the Aviator trounces it in exterior design.

And the GV80 faces much stiffer competition. The G80 is up against essentially 10 other cars... half of which are some combo of old (GS, XF, RLX) or not direct competitors (ES, RLX, maybe the S80). The GV80s segment is much bigger, current and competitive.

#71 ·
Holy crap is our resident Hyundai apologist out in force or what?

Audi has proven that with consistent good product and time you can move up from also ran status to genuine contender, with the corresponding transaction price increases to follow.

Hyundai needs many dedicated Genesis dealers, added customer experience to overcome lack of history and consistent product for probably another 10 years to really make a dent. It seems like they aren't going anywhere in Korea, so if they just allocate enough vehicles for the sale forecasts here it doesn't seem like it's a huge expenditure. So yeah they have a chance.

#72 · (Edited)
Except Audi figured out a way to differentiate itself from its rivals through design/styling innovation and marketing message. It was only at that point that they started making gains. Up to that point they were also rans.

Hyundai hasn't done any of that with Genesis to this point. The designs inside and out have all been derivative and the marketing message has been the same thing we've been hearing from the Japanese for the last 30 years: Higher quality German caliber luxury at an affordable price. Except Hyundai and Genesis doesn't have the quality image of the Japanese.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.