VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2012 VW cc vr6 Front sway bar bushing replacement question

890 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Chaoscreature80 
#1 ·
Bought moog 2 piece bushings. Direction say use 1/2 high speed drill to separate the 1 piece oe bracket. Vw only sells the whole bar with bushings attached. Anyone do this job and how long did it take? Thanks

#2 ·
I don't think I have ever seen your particular bracket, but I get what this job entails.
The OEM bracket is probably 2 pieces, but spot welded together to keep the bushing captured when not bolted to the chassis. You will probably be drilling out a spot weld.
If you have a drill and a decent drill bit it won't take too long. Depending on the bracket, it might be worthwhile drilling a starter hole and then enlarging it as keeping a 1/2" drill centered on a flat piece of sheet metal can be tricky by hand. A step drill bit can also be a handy tool for this type of job. They are short, have a small bit diameter at the end and are super rigid which is great for drilling by hand.

I would think this could be done in a couple hours easily, but it really depends on your competence level and how big of a PITA removing the front sway bar is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.