Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
      Cars
      2003 TTq, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2019 Renegade 1.3T, 2000 Monster 750
      06-14-2019 09:43 AM #1
      I know this has the potential to get into a FWD/AWD debate, let's leave that one on the table, I'll explain my reasoning. We have our 2014 Soul, 44k, it has treated us well but my wife wants something with more punch or potential. I really like the Soul, it honestly has the best automatic transmission I've ever driven in a car and is very decent to drive with good mileage and better looks then most of the boxes out there. We immediately thought of the turbo, if we like our car the upgrade will give us the power, higher kit, and sportier feel we both want. It's fine that it's FWD because it keeps the weight down, my only concern would be the DCT trans, I hope to get some kind of stage 1 flash tune which would hopefully tweak the transmission settings as well. We would be getting a new 2019 still available, we'll probably drive the third gen but neither of us are sold on the looks. The Turbo is noted as being a good driver though not a GTI, however it has big ****-off rally lights so that's something

We also considered the CX-5 and might still take a look at one, but have gravitated towards the Renegade since it's more utilitarian and much more available in our price range. On that note, we're shooting for less than $20k for sure, but there's nothing that great unless you're paying at least $16 to $17k. The car guy in me immediately wanted to get a Trailhawk, having the extra settings like rock, 4low, and hill-descent are cool, but this is for my wife and it's not really necessary for either of us, and I've read that the suspension isn't great. We're basically set on a new Limited (no extra settings, leather, turbo engine) but we're going driving today. Also:

Kia - 10yr/100k warranty
      Jeep - 3yr36k

That's been on our minds as well, hard to ignore, need to see about an extended warranty.

What's everyone think? What would you get?
      Last edited by l88m22vette; 06-14-2019 at 09:52 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

06-14-2019 09:48 AM #2
      Chrysler & Co sucks. Kia sucks less.
      2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD - Volk Racing | Stoptech | JL Audio | Morimoto Lighting
      2015 Triumph Street Triple - Full build | 4 miles

Cars
      RS3
      06-14-2019 09:50 AM #3
      Between those 2, probably the KIA. They're vastly more reliable than any FCA product for long term use... I'd stick with that.

Side thought, 2018 CPO or new 2019 Tiguan? Base trim FWD will be in the low 20s, 6 year bumper to bumper warranty and more tech and more creature comforts.

I.e.

Hey, check out this car I found on Cars.com: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...ff=share_other

RAV4
      CRV

I'd take a look as well but warranty isn't as great.

Sent from my mobile office.
      Last edited by SCHWAB0; 06-14-2019 at 09:54 AM.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-14-2019 09:51 AM #4
      I'd go with the Soul without consideration for the Jeep. Although I don't mind the styling, it's a little too cutesy to me. And it's a Fiat underneath and I have zero faith in the ability to the company to put anything of quality together. I think the newly redesigned Soul is very sharp looking and the turbo motor seems like it would add a little fun into things. Not sure I would care much about fwd vs fwd-based AWD.

Cars
      2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
      06-14-2019 09:52 AM #5
      My answer was Soul before I even opened this thread.
      Nirvana.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      06-14-2019 09:56 AM #6
      Neither of those are my cup of tea, but Kia every day and twice on Sunday if I had to choose between the two. Any Jeep that is not a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee is not worth considering.

Cars
      B6 Passat Wagon
      06-14-2019 09:59 AM #7
      Since 'neither' isn't an option.... I guess the Kia... if you have to...

Doesn't help that a rental Renegage Trail Hawk left me stranded in the middle of no where in Red Rock Nevada...
      VAGKRAFT | Red BBS RS for sale | Mk6 Part Out

9. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      06-14-2019 10:23 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      What would you get?
      To be honest with you, neither.

10. 06-14-2019 10:42 AM #9
      I had a renegade as a rental for a 2x 10hr road trip to Reno and back. Loved it. I wouldn't buy one for myself because I have a family, but my lower back didn't hate the seats, it felt peppy enough, and it had personality. I haven't driven a Soul, but heard good things.

There you have it.

Cars
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V '08 Mazda3 GT '19 Ram Sport
      06-14-2019 10:53 AM #10
      I work for a FCA dealer. Don't get the Renegade.

Im not a big KIA fan, but in this case....

If you can swing it, the CX5.
      InstaGram J92Jcarpic 100% Stance Free

06-14-2019 10:55 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
      I had a renegade as a rental for a 2x 10hr road trip to Reno and back. Loved it. I wouldn't buy one for myself because I have a family, but my lower back didn't hate the seats, it felt peppy enough, and it had personality. I haven't driven a Soul, but heard good things.

There you have it.
      X2. I’ve had both Renegades and Souls as rentals and I enjoyed the Renegade more. The Renegade drives well and the design is at least interesting. A Renegade in one of the bright colors (I love the yellow ones) with the pop-off roof panels would be fun to own while still being efficient enough.

If you like the Renegade, also look for a deal on a Fiat 500X, which is essentially a Fiat Renegade.
      2018 Fiat 500e
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 quattro manual
      2006 Lotus Exige

Cars
      Audi S3, BMW X3, Audi e-Tron, and a Toyota Appiiance
      06-14-2019 10:59 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      Chrysler & Co sucks. Kia sucks less.
      Chrysler has no 'soul'.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Cars
      2017 STI
      06-14-2019 11:04 AM #13
      I like the Renegades. They come in fun skittles colors and look great IMO. The low power always turns me off of them. Trailhawks have real off road capability and look cooler, I'd go with that.

Can't go wrong with the Soul though. Great warranty, looks unique, etc. Either would be good to bop around in, interested to hear what you two think after the test drives.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      06-14-2019 11:07 AM #14
      Soul for sure, reliability wise the Renegades really worry me. Also, may want to look at a used CRV or CX5 as they really are class leaders.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      2013 Conestoga Wagon & 2023 VigorousZX Campermobile
      06-14-2019 11:55 AM #15
      I'd option for mass transit pass, a ****load of money for Uber/Lyft (if you're in the ghetto) and a nice pair of these

The Soul will probably be the more reliable choice in the long run so go for that.

Cars
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      06-14-2019 12:06 PM #16
      Renegades are crap. Don't buy one

The new Soul actually looks impressive, and the CX5 is well known for being competent, reliable and competitive.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

06-14-2019 12:13 PM #17
      I know this has the potential to get into a FWD/AWD debate, let's leave that one on the table, I'll explain my reasoning. We have our 2014 Soul, 44k, it has treated us well but my wife wants something with more punch or potential. I really like the Soul, it honestly has the best automatic transmission I've ever driven in a car and is very decent to drive with good mileage and better looks then most of the boxes out there. We immediately thought of the turbo, if we like our car the upgrade will give us the power, higher kit, and sportier feel we both want. It's fine that it's FWD because it keeps the weight down, my only concern would be the DCT trans, I hope to get some kind of stage 1 flash tune which would hopefully tweak the transmission settings as well. We would be getting a new 2019 still available, we'll probably drive the third gen but neither of us are sold on the looks. The Turbo is noted as being a good driver though not a GTI, however it has big ****-off rally lights so that's something

We also considered the CX-5 and might still take a look at one, but have gravitated towards the Renegade since it's more utilitarian and much more available in our price range. On that note, we're shooting for less than $20k for sure, but there's nothing that great unless you're paying at least $16 to $17k. The car guy in me immediately wanted to get a Trailhawk, having the extra settings like rock, 4low, and hill-descent are cool, but this is for my wife and it's not really necessary for either of us, and I've read that the suspension isn't great. We're basically set on a new Limited (no extra settings, leather, turbo engine) but we're going driving today. Also:

Kia - 10yr/100k warranty
      Jeep - 3yr36k

That's been on our minds as well, hard to ignore, need to see about an extended warranty.

What's everyone think? What would you get?
      I mean the renegade is a Fiat 500X joint design, and that makes me question long term support and reliability since it truly is not like other FCA cars. (just look at the fiat window switches, and infotainment system- not to mention it is built in Italy). I drove the 500X and Renegade when they were brand new and found the 9 speed auto to be horrendous. Like the thing NEVER had power and constantly wanted to upshift.

Haven't driven the soul, but I have an issue with FWD hatches being called crossovers. Ie: Toyota CH-R, Nissan Kicks, Kia Soul

Originally, crossovers were SUVs that were built on car platforms (getting away from body-on-frame) for economic and comfort reasons. Now anything that looks remotely like a small SUV can be called a crossover, but there's nothing crossed over about a FWD car with a hatchback. It is and has always been called... a hatchback.

What's next, they call the base VW golf a crossover?
      Last edited by ice4life; 06-14-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Cars
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      06-14-2019 12:50 PM #18

'nuff said.
      Carz: allpic -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group phacough-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Yep, when I see andlf as the thread starter, it's a mandatory click now.
      G stands for GRENADE, 60 stands for what the tach says when it happens!.."Here"

Cars
      2003 TTq, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2019 Renegade 1.3T, 2000 Monster 750
      06-14-2019 01:17 PM #19
      Are you telling me the front brakes are good enough for a stoppy?

Still on the road, downtown Mundelein is crowded!

06-14-2019 01:23 PM #20
      OP, a lot of the posters in here have an outdated view on the Jeep Renegade.

1) The 9-speed transmission has been updated so many of the driveablility issues have been resolved
      2) The car is now available with a brand new 1.3L I4 (firefly), which is much better than either engine previously available.

I think they're both too cute but I wouldn't pass up AWD if I'm getting a box. Renegade it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      I mean the renegade is a Fiat 500X joint design, and that makes me question long term support and reliability since it truly is not like other FCA cars. (just look at the fiat window switches, and infotainment system- not to mention it is built in Italy). I drove the 500X and Renegade when they were brand new and found the 9 speed auto to be horrendous. Like the thing NEVER had power and constantly wanted to upshift.
      You can get the 2019 version with the same UConnect 4c system found elsewhere in vehicles like the Wrangler. You're not going to have trouble finding swithgear whether Fiat exists or not. Further, the Renegade now has a new engine available.
      Last edited by TangoRed; 06-14-2019 at 01:27 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

06-14-2019 02:13 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      OP, a lot of the posters in here have an outdated view on the Jeep Renegade.

1) The 9-speed transmission has been updated so many of the driveablility issues have been resolved
      2) The car is now available with a brand new 1.3L I4 (firefly), which is much better than either engine previously available.

You can get the 2019 version with the same UConnect 4c system found elsewhere in vehicles like the Wrangler. You're not going to have trouble finding swithgear whether Fiat exists or not. Further, the Renegade now has a new engine available.
      Fair enough on the update- although since he posted pics of the old gen, and eluded to the fact that he was not buying new (with the soul comments), I pointed out the obvious..

And yes you can get the 4c system now, but the majority of the parts on that car are from Italy (62%) which causes delays in servicability when things go wrong.. FCA service is a trip to begin with (boy do I have stories from my Grand Cherokee days), can't imagine adding the Italy piece to it.

Cars
      '08 Acura TL
      06-14-2019 02:14 PM #22
      Soul>Tiguan>Renegade, IMHO.

24. Member
      Cars
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      06-14-2019 04:19 PM #23
      Are you looking at a 2020 Soul? If you're going by looks at all, not sure if you are, I think they look pretty sharp. Don't have much else to give advice on since my knowledge is limited.

06-14-2019 04:23 PM #24
      We would be getting a new 2019 still available, we'll probably drive the third gen but neither of us are sold on the looks.
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonk2Hossa View Post
      Are you looking at a 2020 Soul? If you're going by looks at all, not sure if you are, I think they look pretty sharp. Don't have much else to give advice on since my knowledge is limited.

Pretty sure he already said

26. Member
      Cars
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      06-14-2019 04:25 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Pretty sure he already said
      Yeah my bad I overlooked that, long day.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast