VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

How to test AC clutch , pressure switch

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  makeemgofaster 
#1 ·
Hi guys
What is proper procedure for testing the AC clutch any visual ways to see it engage, or other ways? Same goes for the AC pressure switch. When I bought my AT Quattro 3.0 I was told by a Audi shop it needs a AC clutch and pressure switch. I would like to verify for my self. Also is it possible to overfill the AC system? And if too full will it not work? . I'm a diesel mechanic work on Prevost buses and when I fill the system I make sure it's not to much . I watch the 2 sight glasses in condenser and make sure to stop between the the of the balls in each one.
Is Audi system same way?
Thank you

#2 ·
Its not a conventional clutch, it runs almost all the time, if the clutch is bad, you need a compressor.
Pressure switch is straight forward, can get at it with the hood open, on the right of the condenser.
Best way to look at the system is with a scanner, or laptop program like VCDS, there is a way to put it in diagnostic mode from the climate control panel,,youtube.
There is a control valve in the compressor that goes bad, common,,system will not work correctly if the valve goes...RKXtech makes a good replacement,,have to evac and recharge the system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.