Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Cars
      M44/40F20CS65
      06-13-2019 12:40 PM #26
      In person, this car looks extremely good!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2015 Ford Focus 1.0, 2008 MINI Cooper S
      06-13-2019 12:41 PM #27
      The Model S will already do 0-60 in 2.28 seconds. I bet this will beat the estimated 1.9 sec to 60.

4. 06-13-2019 01:07 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      I realize now, that this is a wide body, 2 door coupé, Model 3.

Take a look at it from behind in the video.

Model 3 suspension and steering are well sorted, so there is nothing wrong with re-using that vehicle platform and key components in a sports car.

5. 06-13-2019 01:11 PM #29
      I want a $50k-ish version of this. It'd be a toy car, so I'd be fine with less than half the quoted range. I'd also be fine with one motor driving the back wheels, and a 0-60 more than double the quoted time. I want the 2+2 configuration so I can drive it with my wife and kid in tow. Basically, I want a slightly quicker BRZ that plugs in and costs twice as much. Am I a crazy ******* for wanting something like that?

Cars
      M44/40F20CS65
      06-13-2019 01:53 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
      I want a $50k-ish version of this. It'd be a toy car, so I'd be fine with less than half the quoted range. I'd also be fine with one motor driving the back wheels, and a 0-60 more than double the quoted time. I want the 2+2 configuration so I can drive it with my wife and kid in tow. Basically, I want a slightly quicker BRZ that plugs in and costs twice as much. Am I a crazy ******* for wanting something like that?
      My guess is they will produce a cheaper version or versions of this in due time. I'm not sure they'll ever be at $50K new, but there's no reason they couldn't steal sales from sports cars in the $100K range. I'd expect a lower range, lower power, maybe rwd only version to be in the $110-130K range. That price differential would be inline to what a base Model S costs relative to a top Ludicrous mode Model S.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      06-13-2019 01:57 PM #31
      I want a car that will do 0-60 in under 2 seconds and has friggin rocket thrusters for $50k too. I also want a pony

I think we will get a car like you describe, but probably not for another 10 years or so. We need to get to the point that EVs become core features in regular manufacturer lineups (not just Tesla) such that they are making EVs for many different market segments. 2+2 coupes are very much a niche market segment, so they will come long after all the EV crossovers, sedans, and hatchbacks that will be the core of the EV lineups. Perhaps for the 6th gen Supra.
      Last edited by Nealric; 06-13-2019 at 01:59 PM.

8. 06-13-2019 02:37 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I want a car that will do 0-60 in under 2 seconds and has friggin rocket thrusters for $50k too. I also want a pony

I think we will get a car like you describe, but probably not for another 10 years or so. We need to get to the point that EVs become core features in regular manufacturer lineups (not just Tesla) such that they are making EVs for many different market segments. 2+2 coupes are very much a niche market segment, so they will come long after all the EV crossovers, sedans, and hatchbacks that will be the core of the EV lineups. Perhaps for the 6th gen Supra.
      Hey man, I said I'd take less performance I'm looking for a Lil' Sebastian at that price, not a Secretariat.

I would think the niche aspect could help make it a possibility sooner. I'm personally willing to trade off some range and every day drivability in exchange for driving dynamics in a fun electric car that I couldn't see me giving up in an electric DD. Think something akin to an electric Elise (yes, I am aware of the first gen Tesla Roadster), where you give up a lot of practicality and creature comforts to get something fun, and you overlook some stuff you'd consider"flaws" in a DD in exchange for that. Converting Elise's 2006 MSRP into 2019 dollars puts it at $54k. I'd pay that for something electric with Elise-like 0-60 times and handling in its ballpark as long as it's got some of the emotional appeal of the Lotus. As an old ass millennial/young gen x'er with a so-so job who can justify the expense of a toy car, but is having trouble with the idea of burning gas just for fun (definitely the millennial speaking there) when I've got to think of what kind of planet I'm leaving behind for my toddler, the lack of electric fun is a bummer. Yes, I know a Model 3 Performance is a heck of a car, but it's also a sedan and not something that'd give me a grin every time I look at it or get behind the wheel.

06-13-2019 02:47 PM #33
      Hey man, I said I'd take less performance I'm looking for a Lil' Sebastian at that price, not a Secretariat.

I would think the niche aspect could help make it a possibility sooner. I'm personally willing to trade off some range and every day drivability in exchange for driving dynamics in a fun electric car that I couldn't see me giving up in an electric DD. Think something akin to an electric Elise (yes, I am aware of the first gen Tesla Roadster), where you give up a lot of practicality and creature comforts to get something fun, and you overlook some stuff you'd consider"flaws" in a DD in exchange for that. Converting Elise's 2006 MSRP into 2019 dollars puts it at $54k. I'd pay that for something electric with Elise-like 0-60 times and handling in its ballpark as long as it's got some of the emotional appeal of the Lotus. As an old ass millennial/young gen x'er with a so-so job who can justify the expense of a toy car, but is having trouble with the idea of burning gas just for fun (definitely the millennial speaking there) when I've got to think of what kind of planet I'm leaving behind for my toddler, the lack of electric fun is a bummer. Yes, I know a Model 3 Performance is a heck of a car, but it's also a sedan and not something that'd give me a grin every time I look at it or get behind the wheel.
      You say that you are aware of the first gen Roadster, but is there any particular reason you do not consider it? As isn't it basically the perfect car for your "need"?

10. 06-13-2019 02:56 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      You say that you are aware of the first gen Roadster, but is there any particular reason you do not consider it? As isn't it basically the perfect car for your "need"?
      Gotta have the rear seats, or at least seatlets a la 911 or Evora 2+2, so I can go places with the whole family in it.

Cars
      2013 VW RB Golf R
      06-13-2019 04:42 PM #35
      Outside of a carrot to encourage people to share referral codes, what's the chance, really, that this thing ever makes it to market? Tesla's list of issues is sky high, it seems ridiculous that they would devote their limited resources to this.
      Live every week like it's Shark Week.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      06-13-2019 04:49 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
      Outside of a carrot to encourage people to share referral codes, what's the chance, really, that this thing ever makes it to market? Tesla's list of issues is sky high, it seems ridiculous that they would devote their limited resources to this.
      I think the chances of it coming to market by the end of 2021 are pretty good actually.

The purpose of the car is for another round of media attention to start gaggling about all the "whiz bang wow" stuff Tesla is doing these days. I'm sure there's also some stuff they want to try out in a low-volume car for potential later introduction into the 3 or Y.

Most of the R&D has been done (prototypes are already running around), and it's going to be a relatively low production halo car. It may be a bit of a vanity project, but it's nowhere close to the lift that ramping up Model 3 production was. Tesla may have its issues, but they aren't in immediate danger of insolvency- perhaps 3-5 years down the line that could be in the cards.

13. Member
      Cars
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      06-13-2019 05:16 PM #37
      YES. Sporty car is not cheap to make. Just look at how Toyota made the new Supra for $50k US...
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12