Fourtitude.com - Well my daily driver is totaled, on to new things..
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    1. 06-12-2019 06:24 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post

Was your uncle okay?

Michelin usually is awesome, but yeah, pricey. As you certainly know, safety is even more important than money (if you have it, of course). If you had Michelin tires on it there's a good chance you'd be driving your Civic today.

Bingo. That's where I do my research.
      He died sadly, it was very common for those Firestones to simply blow up and Explorers would just flip over!

I think there was a huge group lawsuit over it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-12-2019 06:28 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      OP, when I saw the title and then your sig, I said, "oh no, he rolled the STI!".

As a fellow guy, you get my first concern

Good to read that you're fine and looking for something fun
      I think if I was driving my STI, this wouldnít had happened!

But the Si did its job!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Since nobody asked yet, did you poop your pants?
      They say your life flashes, and itís true!
      Those last 4 seconds when I knew I was gonna go into a tree at highway speeds, I thought I was gonna be wrapped around the tree for sure!
      Crazy how SO much can go through your head in just a few seconds.

4. 06-12-2019 06:31 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      I understand what I'm saying is going to leave a frown on your face but buy something that will keep you out of trouble.
      If anything, those stupid LRR tires is what caused this!

Iíll stick to Subarus with sticky tires from now on, hasnít failed me in 14 years

5. Senior Member
      06-12-2019 07:02 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Ilikewaffles View Post
      He died sadly, it was very common for those Firestones to simply blow up and Explorers would just flip over!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firest...re_controversy

Cars
      RS3
      06-12-2019 07:04 PM #55
      Glad your ok man.

Good luck on the replacement!

Sent from my mobile office.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

7. Member
      Cars
      '17 Volt, '86 BMW 325E
      06-12-2019 07:22 PM #56
      Wow, that was scary to watch and I can't even imagine what it felt like even being there! Glad to hear you got out ok!

Curious question - how does insurance handle this type of occurrence? Assuming this gets filed under your comprehensive so all you're out is the deductible and the risk of a heightened premium for some duration?

8. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-12-2019 07:28 PM #57

My sincere condolences.

This shows how what some see as statistics are real in every sense of the word. Also, yes. There was a huge law suit.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

9. Iím not a loser. Iím a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in Ďmurica truck and wagon
      06-12-2019 07:31 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      However, IIHS did not have side crash tests for the Impreza until 2006 (good rating):

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...oor-sedan/2006

Note that this page does say that side airbags with head protection were optional in 2004-2005, and standard in 2006. It also looks like the 2006 model was restyled (no longer "bug eye" style), but IIHS considered it the same as the 2002 model for the moderate overlap front crash test.

So if you are concerned about side crashes in Imprezas of that era, look for one with side airbags with head protection.

Side airbags were available on bugeyes, but only WRX models. 2002-2007 are structurally the same, regardless of front end.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

10. 06-12-2019 07:44 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by kickapoo View Post
      Wow, that was scary to watch and I can't even imagine what it felt like even being there! Glad to hear you got out ok!

Curious question - how does insurance handle this type of occurrence? Assuming this gets filed under your comprehensive so all you're out is the deductible and the risk of a heightened premium for some duration?
      Itís going under collision since it was just my car, so Iím paying a deductible. Not mad, that car was upside down (rolled negative into it) and I was tired of it.

So the financial situation is all good, my insurance might go up but thatís okay, getting rid of a car payment anyways.

11. 06-12-2019 07:44 PM #60
      I think if I was driving my STI, this wouldnít had happened!

But the Si did its job!

They say your life flashes, and itís true!
      Those last 4 seconds when I knew I was gonna go into a tree at highway speeds, I thought I was gonna be wrapped around the tree for sure!
      Crazy how SO much can go through your head in just a few seconds.
      I like the STI and have a mental list of people on the board with one, so I knew there was a chance it was knackered

You're right, the Si did it's job and sacrificed itself. I'll check back to see what you get next, glad you're OK

Cars
      14 s4 6mt
      06-12-2019 08:06 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-3 View Post
      HOLY CRAP. That was just like a good ol' regular afternoon Florida thunderstorm; I go thru those everyday without THAT happening. I didn't see any standing water in the video either........just suddenly everything went sideways. And people think good tires don't matter! Phhht. Glad you're ok, man.
      agree, it doesn't seem to be a hard rain but you can see the puddle taking up the entire center lane right before the rear starts sliding. it's good that your ok OP and good that it was "only" the si and not sti.

13. 06-12-2019 08:28 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by O_loung1 View Post
      agree, it doesn't seem to be a hard rain but you can see the puddle taking up the entire center lane right before the rear starts sliding. it's good that your ok OP and good that it was "only" the si and not sti.
      The thing is, I was bored with the Si and it was a lease.. so Iím not even mad.

But the STI is paid off and has a built motor, so lots of money poured into it. Iíd be royally PISSED if something happened to that car.

Cars
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      06-13-2019 02:00 AM #63
      Itís going under collision since it was just my car, so Iím paying a deductible. Not mad, that car was upside down (rolled negative into it) and I was tired of it.

So the financial situation is all good, my insurance might go up but thatís okay, getting rid of a car payment anyways.
      Could have sworn I saw you raving about that car up until last week

Cars
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2008 Hayabusa, 2014 RDX
      06-13-2019 07:30 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      What kind of tires come on those? I have replaced a few sets of OEM tires at <15k miles because they were worthless and scary in the rain.
      The stock run flats on my Cadillac were terrible too. They would hydroplane at ridiculously low speeds.
      I replaced them at 12000kms.

16. 06-13-2019 08:21 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post
      Oh yeah donít get me wrong, itís a fantastic car.
      Amazing on gas, comfortable, good chassis, adjustable dampers, crisp shifter..

But itís boring.

Cars
      2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2011 Toyota Camry LE, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
      06-13-2019 12:35 PM #66
      Did you notice any intervention from stability control? Almost looks like it was off in your video. No sign of the brakes trying to straighten the car out. Definitely a scary accident. Glad you're ok.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX
      2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11)
      2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11)
      2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance)
      2010 VW GTI

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      06-13-2019 01:29 PM #67
      I've driven rental cars in Florida enough times to convince myself that if I lived there, I'd have tires rated best for rain on every car. I'm surprised how greasy Florida roads are in the dry, let alone the wet.

Cars
      2014 Ford Focus ST, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
      06-13-2019 01:43 PM #68
      That video is pretty scary stuff. Glad you are ok OP. Cars can always be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I've driven rental cars in Florida enough times to convince myself that if I lived there, I'd have tires rated best for rain on every car. I'm surprised how greasy Florida roads are in the dry, let alone the wet.
      After having lived there for more than a couple years in my past I completely agree with your assessment. You can almost set your watch to the timing of the afternoon storms that roll through in the summer. Severe stuff (water spouts, hail, insane lightning) for like 10 minutes then its sunshine again like nothing ever happened. If you get caught out in it good luck. Combine that with no state car safety inspection requirement and it gets really interesting.

20. Member
      Cars
      2016 RAV4 Hybrid, MK5 Jetta
      06-13-2019 02:29 PM #69
      Yeah didnít think I was gonna make it, the car is a lease and itís definitely totaled.. airbags, B pillar, doors, everything scratched, cables ripped.

The rear of the car just broke loose out of nowhere, IMO it was the ****ty Goodyear tires.. I complained about them since the day I picked up the car, they are useless on water. I know I should had slowed down more due to them.

https://youtu.be/7Qo1bkSPZbg

I feel safe in Subarus, thereís a reason everyone in my family owns them and they have the most loyal customer base!
      The Civic was good, but Iím tired of payments and I want something more interesting, so old wrx it is.
      That's crazy

Those tires must really be horrible. I'm fairly certain my Michelin X-ice tires have more reserve grip on ice in the same scenario/speed than those Goodyears have in the wet.

06-13-2019 02:40 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post
      lol
      Current Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL-Premium R-Line 4Motion
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL

22. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      06-13-2019 08:27 PM #71
      Keep in mind this is the same OP that brags about being able to text and drive in 14 different countries.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Cars
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      06-13-2019 09:19 PM #72
      OP, glad you're OK. 11/10th in the pouring rain is never a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by O_loung1 View Post
      Actually, that rain must be really hard. From my track days in the rain, videos don't accurately show how hard it's raining. Pouring rain usually show as light drizzle on video.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123