Fourtitude.com - Well my daily driver is totaled, on to new things..
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    1. 06-11-2019 10:36 PM #1
      Hydroplaned on the highway.. counter steered, nothing, absolutely zero control, it was like ice.

Smashed into a tree sideways, airbags blown, B pillar and roof caved in... definitely totaled.

I guess I will be driving the Ascent more often and the STI, until I can find the replacement I always wanted.. a 2002/2003 bugeye wrx wagon to restore like new and daily! No more car payments for me.

I’m just thankful to be alive, just bruised up and shaken, they say your life flashes and it’s true!

They had to cut trees to yank it out.

The new daily goal:

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      06-11-2019 11:07 PM #2
      Glad you are ok!
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

4. 06-11-2019 11:07 PM #3
      Wow you must have been going way too fast for conditions!

Glad you are OK and no other drivers were involved.

That's a nice choice, hope your insurance rates don't increase too much. Perhaps you aren't going to make a claim.

5. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-11-2019 11:08 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by AC1DD View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

6. Member
      Cars
      2016 Fiesta ST, 1991 Honda Beat
      06-11-2019 11:11 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Glad you are ok!
      No kidding -- crushed B pillars and trees moving fast in the direction of your head are no fun.
      It was forever ago, but I remember really liking the bugeye WRX. Have a blast with it.
      You look nice today.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      06-11-2019 11:22 PM #6
      Glad you are alright.

New Si iirc, right?

8. 06-11-2019 11:29 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Glad you are alright.

New Si iirc, right?
      Yeah 2018, about 10 months old

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      06-12-2019 12:56 AM #8
      Glad you're alright after that.

Good luck with your plans! A clean bug-eye wagon always catches my attention the few times I see them on the road.

10. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-12-2019 01:32 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Rattle View Post
      but I remember really liking the bugeye WRX. Have a blast with it.
      Everytime I get to drive one I have fun. Even just doing a basic test drive for a state inspection.
      With a little work they can be a lot of fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

06-12-2019 02:38 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Ilikewaffles View Post
      Yeah 2018, about 10 months old
      Wow that sucks, but cars can be replaced.

Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '92 F-250 4X4, '00 GTI 1.8T
      06-12-2019 05:42 AM #11
      You just had a serious accident in a modern car with advanced safety features and up to date crash structure and now you want to daily a 17 year old tin can? Hey, maybe that magical Subaru AWD will save you next time.

My wife got T-boned in an intersection two months ago and it totaled our 2015 Accord. It was scary how much the car deformed. We replaced it with a 2019 Accord that’s hopefully even safer. The accident made us rethink our priorities.

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      06-12-2019 05:59 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      You just had a serious accident in a modern car with advanced safety features and up to date crash structure and now you want to daily a 17 year old tin can? Hey, maybe that magical Subaru AWD will save you next time.
      As long as he adds a Cobb short shifter he should be fine.

Glad you are ok OP. I have been in some serious accidents myself and it is indeed a scary experience. Good luck on your search for a bugeye.

14. Member
      Cars
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      06-12-2019 07:00 AM #13
      Glad you are OK OP. I would also reconsider a nearly 20 year old daily. All jokes aside, car purchases shouldn't be made immediately after accidents. If you can, give it some time

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      06-12-2019 07:07 AM #14
      Glad to hear you're okay after that.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      As long as he adds a Cobb short shifter he should be fine.
      [iunderstandthatreference.jpg]
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      06-12-2019 07:22 AM #15
      Good luck finding a Bug-Eye Wagon. I was looking for one 3 years ago, and it was slim pickings unless you were prepared to do a lot of work.
      I ended up 'settling' on an 07. My least favorite GD front, but that was the trade-off for a rust free car. I have no regerts.

You just had a serious accident in a modern car with advanced safety features and up to date crash structure and now you want to daily a 17 year old tin can?
      I wouldn't really call a 3200 pound car that size a tin can.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 200k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 115k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

17. Member
      Cars
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      06-12-2019 07:38 AM #16
      Weight is only one part of the equation. "Tin can" refers to the car's integrity

Old Japanese cars are not good in this regard. My old Accord weighed about 2900lb but in every kind of serious accident I've seen them in they tear apart or crush the passenger compartment. No thanks

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      06-12-2019 08:07 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Weight is only one part of the equation. "Tin can" refers to the car's integrity
      Subarus have always ranked at the top of the crash test ratings.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...oor-sedan/2002

Compared to a similar year Accord.

I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 200k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 115k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

19. Senior Member
      06-12-2019 08:25 AM #18
      GFs mom hydroplaned and totaled her 10th gen last year, walked away without a scratch. Definitely speaks to the safety and why she got another one.

It's also had me and her on the GF on getting something newer than the 08 Sentra she drives which is definitely out of date in terms of safety.

I went from a 2015 to a 2003 daily and while I didn't think much of the safety at the time it's on my mind a little now, but it at least has stability control and even rear seat airbags that many( most?) cars today still don't have standard.

Love those bug eye wagons, have looked into one as a shop project car, don't think I'd daily one.

Cars
      '17 Jetta SE, '00 Cabrio VR6 & '90 Corrado G60
      06-12-2019 08:39 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      Subarus have always ranked at the top of the crash test ratings.

Compared to a similar year Accord.

Don't think either car would've done well in an accident like he had - IE sideways into a tree
      2013 Golf R - VWR Intake - Unitronic Stage 2HPFP - SPM TurboBack Exhaust - Autotech Fuel Pump - More to Come
      All mods have been approved and endorsed by Accidental L8 apex

21. 06-12-2019 08:54 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      Good luck finding a Bug-Eye Wagon. I was looking for one 3 years ago, and it was slim pickings unless you were prepared to do a lot of work.
      I ended up 'settling' on an 07. My least favorite GD front, but that was the trade-off for a rust free car. I have no regerts.

I wouldn't really call a 3200 pound car that size a tin can.
      I’m prepared to also buy from auction and restore!

22. 06-12-2019 08:56 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post

Old Japanese cars are not good in this regard. My old Accord weighed about 2900lb but in every kind of serious accident I've seen them in they tear apart or crush the passenger compartment. No thanks
      Every Subaru 2002+ has 8 layers of steel on the B pillars, they’re stupidly strong. It’s the reason my stepdad (a lieutenant) started driving Subarus after seeing how they fared in accidents.

23. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-12-2019 10:47 AM #22
      That could've been much, much worse. I'm glad you're relatively okay and were in a modern car with some real structure.

And what were those conditions? Do you always know when you're approaching standing water? We'd like to think so, but we don't.

Glad you are OK and no other drivers were involved.

That's a nice choice, hope your insurance rates don't increase too much. Perhaps you aren't going to make a claim.
      Oh, come on. It's a brand new car, so I think it's safe to say he's not going to eat it.

My wife got T-boned in an intersection two months ago and it totaled our 2015 Accord. It was scary how much the car deformed. We replaced it with a 2019 Accord that’s hopefully even safer. The accident made us rethink our priorities.
      As the owner of several tin cans (that I don't daily any more), let me say that the Bugeye Subaru is far removed from tin can status. Small cars were far safer even before that compared to the tin can days, but after that? It's mostly been incremental changes since that era. Would a new car be safer still? Sure, but it isn't exactly a death trap.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      06 4runner
      06-12-2019 11:03 AM #23
      Damn... Glad you're ok after that.

It's interesting when you a car you have had for under a year gets totaled, how you end up wanting something different.

Cars
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      06-12-2019 11:21 AM #24
      More dangerous than crash worthyness in USDM 2.0L Bugeye Subes is the lack of torque under 3000rpm. It's truly would dead.

26. Member
      Cars
      05 Outback Limited, 06 Outback 2.5i, 2.5rs rally car
      06-12-2019 11:27 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Ilikewaffles View Post
      Every Subaru 2002+ has 8 layers of steel on the B pillars, they’re stupidly strong. It’s the reason my stepdad (a lieutenant) started driving Subarus after seeing how they fared in accidents.
      This is correct. Here's a bit more info on it from https://www.firehouse.com/rescue/art...orcement-frame

The opposite side of the Subaru Forester B-pillar clearly shows the additional high-strength, high-tension steel added at the mid point of the pillar. Blue paint has been added to enhance its visibility for training purposes. Note the location of the top door hinge mounting holes to better understand where this reinforcement is located in relation to the vehicle itself.
      Courtesy of State Farm Insurance, Vehicle Research Facility

Subject: Subaru Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame

Topic: Design and construction of Subaru Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame

Objective: Develop an action plan for extrication tasks requiring removal of select model Subaru B-pillars

Task: Describe the tools and techniques that could be used by your department to cut through or remove the B-pillar of a Subaru Impreza, WRX, WRX STi, Forester, Legacy, Outback or Baja model vehicle.

As an emergency responder, I've noticed that occupants of late-model Subaru vehicles are surviving some pretty severe side-impact collisions with relatively minor injuries, if any at all. Although the doors may be jammed when we get there, the side of the vehicle most likely held up well.

During an extrication seminar I was conducting in the Fishkill, NY, area in 2004, several members of an area fire department approached me with a question and a challenge. They had encountered a Subaru Forester involved in a crash and were unable to cut through the B-pillar with any of their extrication tools. Their cutter and their reciprocating saw were both unable to sever the pillar. They went back to the junkyard the next day and used a gasoline-powered rotary saw with an abrasive blade to remove the B-pillar. They brought it to the seminar to show me.

When I saw the pillar that day, it was clear that something was very different with the Forester's B-pillar construction. The pillar was eight layers thick! One of the layers of steel was a round steel rod that resembled a concrete rebar. That B-pillar had more layers of steel than I had ever seen before in a vehicle.

In September 2005, the Orangeburg, NY, Fire Department responded to an incident involving a four-door Subaru WRX STi. The Subaru collided with a Dodge minivan at an estimated speed of 75 miles per hour. The broadside impact required the rescue team to remove the roof. The Subaru's A-pillars cut through quickly but the B-pillars again resisted every effort by the department to cut them.

With the cooperation of the corporate communications department at Subaru of America Inc. headquarters, I was able to study this vehicle construction feature in more depth. I learned that the reinforced B-pillars are just one component of what Subaru calls its "Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame body structure."

Rings of Safety

This innovative Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame body structure provides certain Subaru vehicles manufactured since model year 2002 with some unique crash protection. It also presents us with some unique extrication challenges.

The Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame is part of a structural body construction in which body side panels and the pillars around them are connected and reinforced to form three rings. The A-pillars and the front firewall structure make up one ring. Both B-pillars along with two structural frame members in the floorboard and two specially shaped structural members running across the roof area make up the center ring. The third ring is formed by the C-pillars and a strengthened lower rocker sill area. This construction design resists collision failure quite well and maintains passenger compartment integrity by dispersing the impact of the crash away from the occupants.

Subaru B-pillars

The Subaru Impreza, WRX, WRX STi, Forester, Legacy, Outback and Baja models all feature heavily reinforced B-pillars. The pillars are perfectly normal looking. The design of this structural member and the choice of steel used, however, make it a very substantial component of the vehicle "crashworthiness" system and a true rescue challenge at a crash scene.

The metal of the entire B-pillar is high-strength, high-tension steel. Boron is an example of this type of exotic metal. In addition, the individual roof pillars are called tailored-blank welded B-pillars and are cut with a laser then welded along their edges to form the eight-layer pillar.

Not only is the metal in this area thick, it also has a round steel bar section in its core. Ironically, in both extrication case studies mentioned earlier, rescuers unknowingly attempted to cut the B-pillar at the point where it is intentionally the thickest and the strongest. The round rebar steel rod is only a little over 12 inches long and begins at the dashboard level and ends at almost the height of the roof rail. In this same middle portion of B-pillar there is also an extra layer of exotic metal steel added to the inside and the outside surfaces to further reinforce and strengthen the pillar.

Alternate Techniques

Many of our current hydraulic cutting/shearing tools have problems coping with these pillars. Our hacksaws, reciprocating saws and air chisels are useless against these exotic metals. Rotary saws with abrasive blades will overpower this metal and cut the pillar but their use isn't practical at extrication scenes.

During roof removal evolutions, the B-pillar must typically be cut through. As an alternative to cutting a Subaru B-pillar, rescuers will be able to make two cuts into the roof rail at the top of the B-pillar forming an inverted "V" cut. This will separate the roof from the top of the pillar allowing the roof to be removed. Another option will be to "flip," "flap" or "flop" the front portion of the roof, making a hinge cut in the roof rail in front of the B-pillar. Remember, the A-pillars and roof rail are of a conventional design and will not offer the resistance that the Subaru B-pillars will.

Besides rescuers preparing options for cutting exotic high-strength, high-tension structural metals, the challenge is out there for our rescue tool manufacturers to create power cutters that can deal with these reinforced pillars. With the federal government pushing for better vehicle side-impact performance and standards to require better roof crush performance developing, we will be seeing more reinforced A-, B-, C- and D-pillars and we will see the increased use of exotic martensite (boron) high-strength, high-tension steels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast