Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    1. 06-11-2019 11:26 AM #1
      A fresh review.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa...mparison-test/

With new players in the game, BMW must examine how and why the competition has surpassed its 3 Series in ways implausible a few years ago. To us, the Alf Romeo Giulia is simply a better driver's car. The Alfa is "the best, most satisfying, most visceral sport sedan—even in this lower-rung version," Reynolds said. "It's the modern 3 Series."

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

06-11-2019 11:52 AM #2
      Yup. It looks and drives great. Even the Q4 2.0T versions with non-defeatable ESC. The biggest downside is too many bad dealers and poor FCA parts and service support. Still probably easier than owning a ‘91 VW Corrado G60 or a ‘94 Alfa 164 back in the day despite having way more electronic control systems. We have it pretty good nowadays all things considered.

Cars
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      06-11-2019 11:57 AM #3
      Small detail, but I love that Alfa places large aluminum paddle shifters in its cars, even for lower trims like the Ti. Looks like it could be straight out of a 488.

06-11-2019 12:46 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      Small detail, but I love that Alfa places large aluminum paddle shifters in its cars, even for lower trims like the Ti. Looks like it could be straight out of a 488.
      They're the best paddles in any car this side of $100k MSRP and they really do contribute positively to the driving experience. But they're not standard in all trim levels/ sub-models. I recently had a loaner Stelvio base model without them and missed the paddles dearly and was so glad I insisted on getting them in my Giulia.

6. Member
      Cars
      2012 128i, 2007 SV650
      06-11-2019 12:50 PM #5
      Today I learned that the 4-cyl in the Giulia is a SOHC engine.

7. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      06-11-2019 12:57 PM #6
      Shame the Giulia leases so terribly, as a Ti with the right packages could be a very compelling car. I'd certainly be more interested in looking at it and driving it than the G20 3 series.

8. Member
      Cars
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      06-11-2019 01:00 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Hofmeister Kink View Post
      To be fair, Multair holds its own.

06-11-2019 01:09 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Hofmeister Kink View Post
      The cylinder head is designed with a variable valve actuator assembly (VVAA) that takes the place of a conventional intake camshaft assembly. The cylinder head is a one-piece aluminium alloy casting. It was designed to support a single camshaft and the MultiAir module. The cylinder head has the following features:

• Four valves per cylinder.
      • The valve guides are press-fit in the cylinder head. A special reamer is used to produce the correct bore size and alignment after installation. The valve guides are not serviceable.
      • The exhaust valves are driven directly by the camshaft through hydraulic lifters and rocker arms.
      • The intake valves are driven by the MultiAir module.

The MulltiAir module is fastened to the intake side of the cylinder head at ten locations.

The engine features four valve combustion chambers per cylinder (2 intake and 2 exhaust).

Each exhaust valve is driven by a cam lobe that pushes a rocker arm, one end of which rests on the hydraulic lifter and the other end on the valve.

The intake valves are operated by the combined action of the camshaft, the MultiAir module and the electrical controls that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) sends to the MultiAir solenoid valves.

The MultiAir solenoid valves allow the PCM to send the oil flow to the intake valve actuators at the right pressure to lift the valves by the desired amount.

Oil enters the MultiAir module through an oil inlet from the cylinder head (2). The MultiAir module can also be manually filled through an oil filler hole (1).

06-11-2019 01:16 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Shame the Giulia leases so terribly, as a Ti with the right packages could be a very compelling car. I'd certainly be more interested in looking at it and driving it than the G20 3 series.
      Gotta pay to play. You definitely pay a premium for the Alfa no matter which way you finance it due to the terrible depreciation. Which is why you see so many people in lease-spec gray, black or white BMW 330i instead. The BMW is not as fun to drive as the Alfa but it's hard to beat the BMW's combination of badge prestige and low lease costs for a daily driver. Which helps explain why it outsells it like 8 to 1. What a strange world we live in when the BMW is seen as the safe, boring option.

Cars
      M44/40F20CS65
      06-11-2019 01:20 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      It's those little details that give the Alfa a "sense of occasion," which the non-M BMWs of late seem to be lacking. It's maybe objectively inferior, or maybe not, but from purely a subjective feel, the Alfa knows how to put a smile on your face just by getting in, starting it up, and engaging 1st gear.

06-11-2019 01:28 PM #11
      The non-Quadrifoglios actually lease well, and depending on the time of the year, are screaming bargains.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Cars
      2017 STI
      06-11-2019 03:48 PM #12
      They both look pretty cool to me. Interior on the BMW seems like a nice step up from the last gen.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Cars
      Fake Rich C300 & Insight 3.0
      06-11-2019 04:09 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Gotta pay to play. You definitely pay a premium for the Alfa no matter which way you finance it due to the terrible depreciation. Which is why you see so many people in lease-spec gray, black or white BMW 330i instead. The BMW is not as fun to drive as the Alfa but it's hard to beat the BMW's combination of badge prestige and low lease costs for a daily driver. Which helps explain why it outsells it like 8 to 1. What a strange world we live in when the BMW is seen as the safe, boring option.
      Interior tech many also factor into sales, the average consumer may not find the driver focused minimalism in the Alfa to be an enduring trait.

As brands equip their cars with the latest tech, there was a strong contrast between the 3 Series' and the Alfa's approach. The BMW uses a virtual assistant that's activated by simply saying, "Hey, BMW." And you can ask for anything—from directions to your destination to help finding a nearby parking spot. You can use your smartphone to unlock and start the 3 Series, and it also does a great job parking itself in parallel or perpendicular spots with the touch of a button. Gesture controls can change the audio system's volume or skip or repeat a song.

Our Alfa, on the other hand, doesn't have any of these technologies, though that's not a deal breaker. "The infotainment is also decidedly low-tech—but really, it offers everything I need," Powell said. Given that the Alfa arrived a couple of years earlier than the 3 Series, its technology isn't as advanced as BMW's—you still have to park it manually and will have to carry the key in your pocket.

With the Wi-Fi hot spot, the 3 Series lets you use Apple CarPlay wirelessly, though there were a couple of times when my iPhone had trouble connecting to the system, leaving me with no CarPlay. On the other hand, you'll need a USB cord to use CarPlay in the Alfa, though it can be complicated to use given the lack of a touchscreen.

Cars
      '15 WRX
      06-11-2019 04:12 PM #14
      Dammit that Alfa is perfect and RIP 3 series.

Cars
      2018 Alfa Stelvio, 1960 Chevy C10
      06-11-2019 04:13 PM #15
      My Stelvio lease seemed pretty good. These seem decent and can probably be improved on

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/car-sho...current-offers

17. 06-11-2019 04:25 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Dammit that Alfa is perfect and RIP 3 series.

Agreed.

That interior is so full of character, and you know it wasn't styled by committee.
      The performance is already known as fantastic, between the two it's a no brainer, the Alfa wins in everything that counts for a fun to drive performance car, the only thing lacking is the stick.

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      06-11-2019 04:35 PM #17
      I've always thought the Alfa looked good, but damn that blue is gorgeous.

Sign me up, if I were shopping in this class and not buying a Model 3. Can't believe the 4-banger is that quick too.

Cars
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      06-11-2019 04:47 PM #18
      THIS. In this league of cars, how it leases is so important. Jaguar XE that I test drove was a fantastic car, but Chase bank was just terrible in terms of leasing. So I got myself another 3er.

While it did not win the comparo, it's exciting to see that G20 is doing well in reviews. When I drove it, I thought it was light years ahead of F30 in terms of handing and chassis dynamics, akin to my E46. Alfa Romeo might be on my list when my S3 lease is up in three years. Would Alfa be around in three years though?
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Cars
      2018 Alfa Stelvio, 1960 Chevy C10
      06-11-2019 04:56 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post

Sign me up, if I were shopping in this class and not buying a Model 3. Can't believe the 4-banger is that quick too.
      Yep, saw this Quadrifoglio at Ferrari of Seattle last month and it looked awesome in blue.

Had a Giulia for two weeks and 1,000 miles in Italy last summer and loved it. Looks good in white, too!

Last edited by 66Satellite; 06-11-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Cars
      2014 Ford Focus ST, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
      06-11-2019 05:32 PM #20
      If Alfa can navigate and weed out the bad dealerships in their network I think they stand a chance of keeping their foot in the door in the USA.

The first time I saw the Giulia was in Rome when I was on vacation and they were filming an Alfa commercial. I had no idea what it was but damn it made a great first impression.

I think if you have any seat time in any of their current lineup you will be hooked.

Come to the dark side - dealership network/parts availability be damned!

06-11-2019 05:39 PM #21
      I can't disagree with that. The Giulia is a special driving experience, and more people should be paying close attention to it.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      06-11-2019 05:40 PM #22
      Which helps explain why it outsells it like 8 to 1.
      I would have guessed 80:1. There is one dealer 5 miles from here and two more within 20 miles; I don't remember having seen 1 single Giulia on the road.

06-11-2019 05:50 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post

I was admiring a blue Quadrifoglio the other day — that color is stunning on the Giulia. I drove a Quadrifoglio and was so impressed — I think it’s the best new sedan you can buy that has an internal combustion engine. But a Model 3 is better.
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport
      2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT
      2006 Lotus Exige NA

25. Member
      Cars
      2016 Fiesta ST, 1991 Honda Beat
      06-11-2019 08:09 PM #24
      ...MultiAir module...
      Very curious and interesting. Thanks!
      You look nice today.

26. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Cars
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      06-11-2019 08:18 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by 66Satellite View Post
      Had a Giulia for two weeks and 1,000 miles in Italy last summer and loved it. Looks good in white, too!

Rental? What company? Was it a stick by any chance?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast