Fourtitude.com - 2019 24 Heures du Mans - It's time for Le Mans, happy father's day!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
      06-10-2019 01:56 PM #1
      I didn't see a thread, we need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer

Scrutineering Day 1, prototypes descend on Le Mans city center

By: Stephen Kilbey | 21 hours ago

The center of Le Mans was taken over by the first day of scrutineering ahead of next weekend’s 87th running of the Le Mans 24 Hours, with 22 cars presented to the ACO’s technical team and the usual hoard of fans today.

In the prototype ranks, Toyota Gazoo Racing’s pair of TS050 hybrids and the team’s six drivers were the headliners, Fernando Alonso and his 2018 Le Mans-winning teammates Kazuki Nakajima and Sebastien Buemi attracting most of the attention from the media in attendance.

But the No. 7 crew of Mike Conway, Jose Maria Lopez and Kaumi Kobayashi were also on hand, and lest we forget, they are still in with a solid chance of winning Le Mans for the first time as well as the WEC drivers championship.

“It’s been an up and down season but we’ve done a good job to maximize performance this season,” Conway told RACER. “There’s a lot to play for — the win at Le Mans and the championship. The aim here is another 1-2; that would be ideal and we’ll push for it.

“Looks like the competition will be closer here. We need to push all the time; you can’t not push here because it’s so on edge that if you take it easy you’ll make mistakes. You just don’t need to risk everything through traffic. We’ll push each until the end.

“The privateers have made good strides,” Conway continued. “There’ve been rule changes, too. They’re looking quick, with high top speeds. Qualifying — they have a good shot of being on the front row.”

Rebellion Racing, arguably Toyota’s closest competition in the LMP1 ranks, was also present today. The Swiss team showed off its brand new liveries to the public for the first time: Both R-13s now sport a “paint-splattered look” as part of a tie-up with artist Tomyboy and his brand Rocketbyz.

The team’s garage, too, is also set to be dressed in a matching color scheme.

As for the race, Rebellion was encouraged by its new low-downforce aero kits, which it tried for the first time in last weekend’s Test Day. Neel Jani, though, doesn’t expect the new aero to bring the team much closer to the TS050 hybrids, which have dominated during the 2018/19 Super Season.

“Testing wasn’t bad in the end,” he said. “The new kit is a good improvement from last year. But is it enough? It’s not enough to beat Toyota, [and] SMP seems strong, so we’ll see. It’s not clear that we’re the first team behind Toyota now.

“It’s not too different though: Toyota is up front; they can beat themselves, hopefully. That’s our only chance. Between us and SMP, it will be a hard fight, but SMP will decide this race. We hope reliability will decide this race, and not just pace.”

Despite Conway’s outlook, Jani, who will stop racing in the FIA WEC after Le Mans to compete in Formula E with Porsche, believes that pole position for Rebellion is out of the question.

“Pole position will be impossible. This year has been strange. We’ve had bad luck with our car, so many times. It’s been a bad season but we’ll be hoping our luck turns around here.”

Many LMP2 teams also went through today, including Panic Barthez Competition, Cetilar Racing, Racing Team Nederland and Larbre Competition.

Championship hopefuls Jackie Chan DC Racing also went through, its pair of ORECAs sporting new liveries for this year’s Le Mans thanks to the addition of new backers. One of those is Wayne Taylor Racing’s prime sponsor, Konica Minolta, which now features on the side of the No. 37 07 Gibson as part of Acura Team Penske driver Ricky Taylor’s deal to race with the team alongside Jordan King and David Heinemeier Hansson.

“It’s obviously the same chassis for me that I race with the ARX-05, but it’s quite a contrast. It’s a learning curve coming from Detroit to Le Mans — two very different street tracks. It was my first time in the car at the test, but the guys do a good job here.

“I’m really excited for race week. This is the best chance I’ve had at a win in LMP2. It’s been my goal to drive with a team like this here.”
      https://racer.com/2019/06/09/scrutin...s-city-center/

Quote Originally Posted by Racer

Track action beckons at Le Mans after day two of scrutineering

By: Stephen Kilbey | 1 hour ago

Day 2 at Le Mans Scrutineering saw the remaining 40 cars on the entry list pass through the city center for technical checks ahead of the first on-track action on Wednesday.

Unfortunately, the weather took a turn for the worse overnight and during the early part of the day, with multiple rain showers resulting in a smaller gathering of fans than on Sunday.

The biggest surprise of the day came in the morning, when LMP1 outfit DragonSpeed became the latest team to reveal a new livery during Le Mans race week.

The American team, which will bow out of the FIA WEC after this weekend to focus on IndyCar, has brought Gulf colors back to the top class at the 24 Hours on the 50th anniversary of the iconic oil and fuel brand’s second win at the race.

DragonSpeed’s BR1 Gibson will pay homage to the three overall LM24 wins for the brand on its tail fin, while the rear wing is dedicated to celebrating past Gulf sportscar victories at 10 legendary race circuits.

While very few GTE cars passed through the inspection tent yesterday, there were plenty on parade today. One of those was the Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTE, which is the only privateer entry into the 17-car Pro class this year.

At the Test Day, the team lost a significant amount of running time to shaking down its car, which is a brand-new chassis, and getting its drivers aboard after the mad rush to the track from the IMSA race at Detroit and, in the case of Jules Gounon, the Blancpain meeting at Paul Ricard.

As a result, it’s going to be incredibly important for the team to get plenty of laps in during practice and qualifying, as its drivers – despite their glowing CVs – have limited GTE experience. Only Pipo Derani has raced a GTE before and has two Le Mans starts to his name in the Pro class – one with Ford, the other with AF Corse. Oliver Jarvis and Gounon, meanwhile, are new to GTE racing, but have plenty of GT3 experience to call upon between them.

Despite that, and the outfit only having a single car in a field of two and four-car teams, race engineer Rick Mayer told RACER that he is confident the team’s new driver-crew can keep them competitive.

“It’s going to be tough for us, because we lost a lot of track time at the Test Day,” said Mayer. “Jules didn’t know the track, but he was up to speed so fast, he’s going to be rock solid. Oliver is going to be awesome, and Pipo drove in Pro with a Ferrari, so driver-wise we should be OK in this company.

“The only thing we lose is the knowledge from drivers that have driven the car for years. The race looks like it will be mild and dry, but the lead-up could be very wet, which isn’t ideal for us. We’d like to get up to speed in the dry – we need to know how to double-stint these tires, and we haven’t done a long enough run yet.

“Worst case there’s the warm-up, but it’s not ideal, especially as this is probably the most stacked GTE Pro class ever.”

There’s plenty of intrigue in the GTE Am category, with a mix of guest cars joining the full-season FIA WEC clan. One of the regular teams joining the action is JMW Motorsport, which won Am just two years ago. This year the team brings a trio of World Challenge regulars to the race. Jeff Segal returns to 24 Hours with the British outfit for a second year, bringing along his driving partner Wei Lu for the first time and K-PAX driver Rodrigo Baptista.

“It’s a big deal for Wei and I; this whole year is a big mountain to climb,” Segal told RACER. “Coming from GT3 racing in the U.S. to European Le Mans Series, and now Le Mans. We have a great car for this race though with JMW, and Wei has already proven that he’s ready.”

Lu said that the transition from racing the 488 GT3 in World Challenge to the GTE model in Europe has been a smooth one.

“It’s great that you can use the same car and upgrade it from GT3 to GTE, when you race with Ferrari,” he said. “There’s obviously a lot of similarities, which really helps. I just need to get used to racing a car without ABS. But we’re confident, and I’m happy to be racing with Rodrigo, who I have raced against many times. I think he’s as quick as any factory driver.”

One of the final cars through today was the Wynns-liveried Keating Motorsports Ford GT, which, understandably has attracted a lot of attention. Bill Riley, who is part of the team running the Keating operation, told RACER the team is confident that the combination of Jeroen Bleekemolen, Ben Keating and Felipe Fraga can be a force in this year’s race.

“Working with the Ganassi team is a real pleasure,” he said. “They’ve helped us a lot, getting up to speed with this, now it’s down to us to deliver it. The car came to us pretty much turnkey, so we’ve just got to do maintenance and set up work.

“At the test we made sure Felipe got his minimum laps in, and that Ben and Jeroen got used to the car. It was a true test day, lots of box-ticking. We wanted to be a little faster but it didn’t happen; we didn’t go for a mock qualifying run.

“There’s plenty to look forward to. We have a strong line-up and this team is the same we run in the U.S., which means there’s a lot of familiarity for us, and that’s really important.”

Of the LMP2 contenders that were on the schedule today, RLR MSport driver Arjun Maini was particularly wide-eyed. The Haas F1 development driver, who has moved into sportscars from racing in F2 with Trident this year, is enjoying his first experience at Le Mans. He will race with Norman Nato (standing in for Rebellion-tied Bruno Senna) and John Farano this week.

“This is massive,” he told RACER. “Already at the test you start to get a feel for how big of a race it is. You have to come and see this for yourself to really see just how many passionate fans there are.

“It’s been an eye-opener this year. Anyone from single-seaters will tell you that you come into this close-minded. But once you get a taste of it, you realize that there’s much more to racing than just sprint racing. It’s awesome.

“I love driving prototypes in the ELMS, and for sure I’m going to enjoy it here at the Le Mans 24 Hours. I feel quite ready for this. It was hard to get used to the circuit, it took time. Usually it only takes a session, but it took me until lunchtime to feel confident enough to push. The grip level was low. But the objective of the test was just to complete laps.”
      https://racer.com/2019/06/10/track-a...scrutineering/
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      06-10-2019 02:03 PM #2
      It looks like WEC are being idiots again, they are not offer a live stream for purchase in USA. Guess I will be looking on reddit for other live streams. Can't wait to watch the race.

Cars
      S4, A4, R32
      06-10-2019 02:19 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      I didn't see a thread, we need one.
      damn, meant to do one this morning!

my mom is visiting this weekend and have a lot of plans, but hoping to watch as much as possible.
      welcome to the layer cake

5. 06-10-2019 02:25 PM #4
      The entire race is on tv In Canada. Discovery velocity!! Wife is already exited and planning on stocking up groceries/beer. Going to be a great race, cause it always is!!

06-10-2019 02:29 PM #5
      Not excited as usual. I guess it's Toyota's race to lose. Sad to see this will be Ford's last race with the GT and BMW. BMW is still in IMSA right?

I'm rooting for Rebellion this year. And their livery for this year is wild. I'm sure the diecast and plastic model companies are like

06-10-2019 02:58 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      And their livery for this year is wild. I'm sure the diecast and plastic model companies are like
      I'm thinking they are taking a page from WWII maritime razzle dazzle camo

Ford's farewell livery looks pretty good;

Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

8. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      06-10-2019 03:07 PM #7
      Andy approves:

* My contributions are not representative of American Honda

06-10-2019 03:09 PM #8
      Here's the annual PDF spotter guide from spotterguides/Andy Blackmore.

http://www.spotterguides.com/portfolio/19_lm/

10. Member
      Cars
      2010 Audi S4
      06-10-2019 03:10 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      It looks like WEC are being idiots again, they are not offer a live stream for purchase in USA. Guess I will be looking on reddit for other live streams. Can't wait to watch the race.
      Guess I won't be able to watch then, doesn't look like xfinity carries Velocity...ugh

11. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      06-10-2019 03:11 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by amusante1002 View Post
      Guess I won't be able to watch then, doesn't look like xfinity carries Velocity...ugh
      I thought it was called Motortrend now?

06-10-2019 03:18 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      I thought it was called Motortrend now?
      It is, that's how I'm going to watch it. Channel 412 for me on xfinity,

Seems there is a 14 day free trial for the motor trend app -> https://www.motortrendondemand.com/f...E&gclsrc=aw.ds I would assume you could watch the race that way.
      Last edited by Silly_me; 06-10-2019 at 03:20 PM.

13. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      06-10-2019 03:23 PM #12
      My picks are:

P1 - Rebellion #1
      P2 - Dragonspeed #31
      GTPRO - Ford Chip Ganassi #68
      GTAM- Aston Martin #98

14. Member
      Cars
      2010 Audi S4
      06-10-2019 03:37 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      It is, that's how I'm going to watch it. Channel 412 for me on xfinity,

Seems there is a 14 day free trial for the motor trend app -> https://www.motortrendondemand.com/f...E&gclsrc=aw.ds I would assume you could watch the race that way.
      Wow I'm dumb, looks like HD is Channel 1243. Welp, now I know my plans for this weekend

Cars
      2011 128i
      06-10-2019 03:43 PM #14
      #rip BMW, this will be their last lemans :'(
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

16. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      06-10-2019 03:51 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      #rip BMW, this will be their last lemans :'(
      For now. They'll be back.

Cars
      2011 128i
      06-10-2019 04:07 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      For now. They'll be back.
      But until such a time, it is #rip :'(

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

18. Member
      Cars
      2004 r32
      06-10-2019 04:30 PM #17
      The action will really be in the GT classes and LMP2.
      I am curious to know if Velocity/MT will cover the entire race on TV or will it require switching between TV and the MT app?

19. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      06-10-2019 04:43 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      But until such a time, it is #rip :'(
      The loss of any OE marque in racing is bad, but I understand your pain here.

Cars
      '90 300ZX TT, '02 Jetta TDI, RWD VR6 Golf, '04 MCS
      06-10-2019 04:55 PM #19
      Gearing up for our 4th annual "24 Hours of LeMans Pool Party". We move a few TV's out by the pool, set up a few easy-ups, and watch the entire race outside. Lots of bacon, steak, brats, chlorine, and this year: homebrew!

I'm not exactly looking forward to dealing with ****ty streams because the WEC app either sucks or is blocked in the US, but it is what it is I guess.

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!! Sure I'm disappointed in LMP1, and last years race was a bore; but having a bunch of friends around makes the race not matter quite as much. A stint in front of the TV during the golden hour makes it all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by deftonesfan867 View Post
      Ohio makes me wanna punch babies.

21. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      06-10-2019 04:57 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by megaDan View Post
      Gearing up for our 4th annual "24 Hours of LeMans Pool Party". We move a few TV's out by the pool, set up a few easy-ups, and watch the entire race outside.
      If it makes you feel any better or more connected, there were quite a few homemade pools at the race itself last year. Quite a few pool parties @ 3am with drunken Englishman.

22. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      06-10-2019 05:14 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by megaDan View Post
      Gearing up for our 4th annual "24 Hours of LeMans Pool Party". We move a few TV's out by the pool, set up a few easy-ups, and watch the entire race outside. Lots of bacon, steak, brats, chlorine, and this year: homebrew!

I'm not exactly looking forward to dealing with ****ty streams because the WEC app either sucks or is blocked in the US, but it is what it is I guess.

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!! Sure I'm disappointed in LMP1, and last years race was a bore; but having a bunch of friends around makes the race not matter quite as much. A stint in front of the TV during the golden hour makes it all worth it.
      What’s the address? I don’t have cable.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Cars
      2005 Jetta Wagon TDI manuel 1.5 Malone, 2014 Tiguan 4MO
      06-10-2019 05:36 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Neither do I! Road trip!

24. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      06-10-2019 05:39 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by VWVan View Post
      Neither do I! Road trip!
      Place Luigi Chinetti, 72019 Le Mans, France

06-11-2019 04:15 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by chalice12 View Post
      I am curious to know if Velocity/MT will cover the entire race on TV or will it require switching between TV and the MT app?
      Unlike the horrid coverage that SPEED provided (two hours of Le Mans, break for a few hours of rerun NASCAR pundits ) it seems that MT will stay true to the coverage they provided last year;

Quote Originally Posted by sportscar365
      MotorTrend to Carry Flag-to-Flag Coverage of 24H Le Mans

For the second consecutive year, the MotorTrend network will carry live, flag-to-flag coverage of the 24 Hours of Le Mans for North American viewers.

In partnership with the Discovery-owned Eurosport network, all on-track sessions will be streamed live on the MotorTrend App, with MotorTrend TV (formerly Velocity) broadcasting the full race beginning Saturday at 8 a.m. ET.

The twice-around-the-clock French endurance classic will also be available on the MotorTrend App.

Canadian viewers will be able to also watch full coverage of the race on Velocity Canada with the same air times.

Nine-time Le Mans winner Tom Kristensen will be among the team of Eurosport commentators leading coverage of the event, which will be simulcast globally.

Full Le Mans Broadcast Schedule (Times in ET)

Free Practice
      MotorTrend App
      Wednesday, June 12 at 9:45 AM

Qualifying 1
      MotorTrend App
      Wednesday, June 12 at 3:45 PM ET

Qualifying 2
      MotorTrend App
      Thursday, June 13 at 12:45 PM ET

Qualifying 3
      MotorTrend App
      Thursday, June 13 at 3:45 PM ET

Warm Up
      MotorTrend App
      Saturday, June 15 at 2:45 AM ET

24 Hours of Le Mans
      MotorTrend App and MotorTrend TV (*In the U.S.)
      MotorTrend App and Velocity Canada (*In Canada)
      Saturday, June 15 at 8 AM ET

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...f-24h-le-mans/

Cars
      2014 Ford Focus ST, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
      06-11-2019 05:03 PM #25
      I was getting ready to bitch about not having Motor Trend/Velocity in my cable package and not giving them another dime but turns out I have it after all!

Everything is now better than expected for this weekend.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast